Review Detail

fast-paced, high-stakes action/adventure
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
TURBO RACERS: ESCAPE VELOCITY is a fast-paced, high-stakes adventure. Mace Blazer is a TURBOnaut, a high-speed vehicle racer. He recently let the world know who he is- a 12-year-old who took the world by storm. He feels pressure now that people know his age to keep winning so that they won't prevent him from competing. In professional racing, the fans do matter. Then, Mace is on set and gets into a dangerous accident that lands him in the hospital. If it hadn't been for the air bag, he could have died, not to mention the people around that he could have hit.

Mace is not sure he wants to keep racing and he is struggling with post-traumatic stress and anxiety, reliving the accident in his head. However, his friends who race are in danger, and Mace must help them.

What I loved: This book really brings the heart-pounding races to the reader with plenty of intense racing scenes. The main character and his friends are all really compelling and make for a great read. Targeted at the middle grade audience, this book would be great for fans of vehicles and competitions. The elements of post-traumatic stress felt really well and could open the door to important discussions about trauma and anxiety. This could be a great series for fans of action/adventure to pick up!

Final verdict: ESCAPE VELOCITY is a fast-paced, high-stakes adventure with TURBO racing and memorable characters. Great for middle grade readers who love competition, action, vehicles, and a touch of mystery.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Thousand Questions

0.0 (0)
Set against the backdrop of Karachi, Pakistan, Saadia Faruqi’s tender...

0.0 (0)
Second in a new series about a bright and determined...

0.0 (0)
There's a chill in the air and frost on the...

0.0 (0)
Disney’s classic animated films come to life in the latest...
Fence: Striking Distance

0.0 (0)
The boys of Kings Row bout with drama, rivalry, and...
Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

0.0 (0)
From the author/illustrator team behind The Snatchabook comes a book-filled...
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Time meets Game of Thrones in...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. A team of...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when...
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

0.0 (0)
Get out the vote! It’s...
I Believe In You

0.0 (0)
A charming picture book that inspires confidence, boosts self-esteem, and...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling...
Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages Book 1)

0.0 (0)
You think you know the tale as old time,...
The Verity

0.0 (0)
When being eaten alive is the least of your...
Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...

Latest Member Reviews

Spies and Prejudice

"I'm a huge fan of the TV series Veronica Mars and was really excited to be able to read a..."
Spies and Prejudice

"I've been waiting forever to share my thoughts on this one, guys. I read it back in January because...how could..."
Spies and Prejudice

"My relationship with this book is rather complicated. As a retelling of JA's Pride and Prejudice, it was fun. There..."
Silver (Bandia #1)

"Silver by Talia Vance ARC received from Flux Books via Netgalley Release Date: 9-8-2012 Reviewed by: Middle Sis..."
Silver (Bandia #1)

"**Note** An eBook of this title was provided by the publishers via Net Galley. However, that did not influence this..."
Silver (Bandia #1)

"Love that's destined to cause feuds and wars. There's something about that type of love that has readers coming back..."