Review Detail

Kids Fiction 203
picture book that explains how bread is made
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

BREAD LAB! is a cute picture book that walks through the steps of making sourdough bread through the eyes of a budding scientist, Iris, and her Aunt Mary. Beyond the information about how they make bread and the science behind it - complete with Iris's lab notebook - the story also features information about what her plant scientist aunt does and a story about the day they spend together. Luckily, the book includes detailed instructions in the back for how you can create your own whole wheat sourdough bread, as the book will definitely inspire young readers to make their own.

What I loved: The book does a great job of presenting the steps to making bread within a larger fictional story to capture young readers' attention. Aunt Mary also explains the steps along the way, giving a great nod to science and experiments as well. I also really appreciated that Iris is mixed race, and her family is pictured in the book. The illustrations have bright colors that add to the appeal. The recipe at the end is very helpful if the book inspires young readers to create their own bread lab.

What left me wanting more: As a small thing, the text is lengthy and a little small, making it difficult to read aloud, especially in a classroom setting. It would be better for slightly older picture book readers/elementary school aged children due to the length.

Final verdict: BREAD LAB! is a fun picture book about how to make bread with a cute family story in the background. If you have ever wondered about how bread is made, this book is a great place to start.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account