Review Detail

charming middle grade fantasy
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
AND THEN I TURNED INTO A MERMAID is a cute and funny middle grade fantasy that follows Molly. Molly is 13 years old and hoping to become popular and date a popular boy. However, it feels impossible when she feels so awkward and her family feels so different. This is not helped by her mother, who seems to insist on skinny-dipping in the ocean and the fact that they run a fish-and-chips restaurant.

On her 13th birthday, her family took her the ocean, and Molly is dismayed to learn that she is even less normal- she is half-Mermaid, and her family begins to turn for the first time on their 13th birthdays. Now, she has to be cautious around any amount of water, as she might transform into a mermaid around it, until she learns to control it. Her sisters and mother don't understand why Molly is so dismayed, but she can't help feeling like this is one more reason she can't fit in and be popular. This is all compounded when her BFF, Ada, begins hanging with the popular crowd and making fun of Molly's family to get laughs from the popular kids.

What I loved: 13 is an awkward age, and Molly captures this difficulty perfectly. It is tough not to feel like you fit in and even tougher when you are learning who your true friends are. While the awkward situations Molly finds due to unexpected transformations are not the usual, her difficulties with fitting in and feeling different are very normal. This story speaks to the reader with some comedy to arrive at what are the important things in life and who are your real friends (even if they have big ears, like Eddie of the Ears). I also loved the sisterhood that Molly and her sisters have, and the way they are always there for each other. There are a lot of characters to love in this book, even if you don't always agree with what they do.

Final verdict: Charming and highly entertaining, AND THEN I TURNED INTO A MERMAID is a book that captures the pre-adolescent/adolescent experience- with a little bit of extra magic.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Bluebird

0.0 (0)
In 1946, Eva leaves behind the rubble of Berlin for...

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Dayna Walsh is struggling to cope with her somatic...
If You Go Down to the Woods Today (Brown Bear Wood)

0.0 (0)
Journey through a magical woodland, with poems to read and...
Bunny Will Not Jump!: Ready-to-Read Level 1

0.0 (0)
From the endless imagination of Jason Tharp comes a hilarious...
Milo's Christmas Parade

0.0 (0)
A new picture book from Jennie Palmer starring Milo, a...
Slow Down: 50 Mindful Moments in Nature

0.0 (0)
Slow down to watch 50 nature stories that command calm...
Once Upon A Pizza: Eight Crazy Ways Pizza Wasn't Really Invented, And One It Might Have Been

0.0 (0)
Everyone loves pizza, but how was it invented? ...
A Kid's Guide to Fandom: Exploring Fan-Fic, Cosplay, Gaming, Podcasting, and More in the Geek World!

0.0 (0)
Help young fans get in touch with their inner geeks...
Awaken    Book 1 The A'vean Chronicles

0.0 (0)
SOME PEOPLE AREN'T DESTINED TO BE ORDINARY. With a...
Pipsqueaks, Slowpokes, and Stinkers: Celebrating Animal Underdogs

0.0 (0)
Underdogs, unite! Celebrated nonfiction author Melissa Stewart offers young readers...
Beneath the Waves

0.0 (0)
Open this charming read-aloud book and you'll find amazing animal...
Small Favors

0.0 (0)
Ellerie Downing is waiting for something to happen. Life in...
Fearghus Academy: October Jewels

0.0 (0)
London, 1864. Fifteen year-old Anna Addison finds herself held at...
Chasing Fireflies

0.0 (0)
Everything happens for a reason. ...
Mine

0.0 (0)
A twisty, terrifying ghost story about twelve-year-old Lily, her creepy...
Gold Spun

0.0 (0)
If Nor can't spin gold, she can always spin lies....

Latest Member Reviews

This Cruel Design

"Feedback This book…. What do I have to say about this book…. I have such a love/hate relationship with it...."
Light Years

" Thank you so much Simon Pulse and the FFBC for providing me with a e-arc for review. In compliance..."
Light Years

"A dystopian-leaning mid-apocalyptic YA with a pandemic premise and a code savvy heroine. The book takes place in a..."
Torn: A Novel (The Feuds Series #2)

"In the distant future, the world’s population is divided into two groups: the Genetics and the Imperfects. The Gens, also..."