Review Detail

Kids Fiction 190
Child Labor in the Early 1900s
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Thomas' father perished in a mining accident, so when his mother became ill and died, he ended up with his aunt and uncle. His uncle works at the coal mine and does a lot of hunting to keep the family in food. Finder is a mountain cur, a replacement for uncle's hunting dog, Daisy. Unfortunately, Finder is gun shy, so is not at all helpful in flushing or retrieving game. Times are hard, so Finder will be returned, and Thomas is going to have to work in the mines. His father, who moved to West Virginia from Chicago, wanted to be a photographer, and Thomas still has his Brownie camera. Thomas' father didn't want him to end up in the mines, but there is no choice. Thomas is sent down to dig out coal and load it on carts. He is slow, so doesn't earn much money to pay off his parents' debts. Finder is sent to help pull the cart and make things go more quickly, but when there is a fire in the mines, Finder ends up being more helpful that anyone could have realized. Based on a true story.
Good Points
Hart does interesting books about dogs in different historical settings, and this one, set in Illinois, is particularly interesting. Students today don't quite understand how difficult children had it in the past, and Thomas' life is one that would have been all too common at this period of history. GIven the current political climate, the treatment of Italians and Slavs in a small midwestern town is very interesting, and it's good to see Thomas befriend Dominic. Hart's depiction of life in the mines is very vivid. The notes at the back helped a lot, and the diagram of a coal mine was very useful to me! I always wondered how mining worked.

There does not seem to be the concentration on child labor in the school curriculum; I remember learning a lot about it in middle school. It's great that, for the most part, we are far removed from the practice, but world wide there are still issues. This is a great book to hand to privileged students who are complaining that their parents won't buy them the latest phone, or that they have too much homework!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Instant Karma

0.0 (0)
In New York Times bestselling author Marissa Meyer's young adult...
Put Yourself in My Shoes

0.0 (0)
When Cricket goes for a walk, he finds Ladybug searching...
Selma

0.0 (0)
Selma is asked: What is happiness? ...
Benjamin's Blue Feet

0.0 (0)
A young bird with a flair for discovery and invention...
Pocket Piggies: I Love You!

0.0 (0)
What’s the best thing in the world? I...
Everything Under the Sun

0.0 (0)
Sun’s Reach is in dire peril. The last...
Lizzy Albright and the Attic Window

0.0 (0)
Lizzy Albright, a red-headed, freckle-faced girl from Overland Park, Kansas,...
Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

0.0 (0)
*AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER* From New York...
Earth-Shattering Events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, cyclones, tsunamis and other natural disasters

0.0 (0)
An atlas of the most extreme meteorological and geological disasters...
Among the Beasts and Briars

0.0 (0)
Ashley Poston, acclaimed author of Heart of Iron, returns...

Latest Member Reviews

The Paper Girl of Paris

"THE PAPER GIRL OF PARIS by Jordyn Taylor is a new young adult novel that is both a contemporary and..."
Great Escapes #1: Nazi Prison Camp Escape

"Bill Ash was an American who volunteered for the Canadian Air Force in 1940, and was sent to Europe shortly..."
Village of Scoundrels

"Life in a remote French village in 1942 is going on without too many problems from the Nazis. The local..."
The Paper Girl of Paris

"The Paper Girl of Paris is written by journalist Jordyn Taylor and is set in both historical 1940’s and nowadays..."
Soldier Dogs #5: Battle of the Bulge

"Juliette's father is a baker in Belgium in 1944, and has been threatened by the occupying Nazis into giving them..."
On Snowden Mountain

"ON SNOWDEN MOUNTAIN is a heavy historical middle grade read, which deals with depression, alcoholism, war, domestic abuse/violence, and child..."
Catherine's War

"Catherine is living at the Sèvres Children's Home since both of her parents were taken. It has a progessive school,..."
Lost in the Pacific, 1942 (Lost #1)

"LOST IN THE PACIFIC, 1942 is a true story of survival. During World War II, a plane is on a..."
A Thousand Sisters: The Heroic Airwomen of the Soviet Union in World War II

"This is a enthralling telling of the brave Soviet airwomen who flew missions during World War II. They fought in..."
Stolen Girl

"Nadia and Marusia arrive in Canada after being in Displaced Persons camps in Europe. They are Ukrainian, and Nadia is..."
Secret Soldiers: How the U.S. Twenty-Third Special Troops Fooled the Nazis

"During WWII, there were dozens and dozens of departments and units doing things that 95% of the population still has..."
The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler

"While the author says in an end note that he excluded a lot of information, the average reader will be..."
A Thousand Sisters: The Heroic Airwomen of the Soviet Union in World War II

"A Thousand Sisters tells the story of Soviet Airwomen in great detail, drawing on the experiences of many women pilots,..."
Courageous

"Aidan lives in a fishing village in England. His one brother has died in the war, but George is still..."
Grenade

"Hideki is a 13-year-old Okinawan and Ray is a United States Marine. Both are play important roles in the "Love..."
The Grand Escape: The Greatest Prison Breakout of the 20th Century

"World War I was a harrowing war, but is not covered as frequently as World War II. This is a..."
Air Raid Search and Rescue (Soldier Dogs #1)

" Marcus and his family have moved to the United Kingdom for his father's job, and are unfortunately..."
In Harm's Way: JFK, World War II, and the Heroic Rescue of PT 109

"While many young readers have heard of President John F. Kennedy, few know about anything other than his assassination. While..."
The Orphan Band of Springdale

"The year is 1941, and Gusta and her father board a bus to make their way to Springdale, Maine so..."
The Nazi Hunters: How a Team of Spies and Survivors Captured the World's Most Notorious Nazi

"Adolf Eichmann orchestrated the removal of thousands of Jews to concentration camps, where many met their deaths. He managed to..."