Review Detail

Kids Fiction 148
charming and simple picture book
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

BO THE BRAVE is a delightful story about courage and not judging others too quickly. Bo lives with her brothers, Erik and Ivar, in a castle. Her brothers are going hunting for monsters, and Bo wants to join, but they tell her she is too little. Bo decides to set out on her own. She first finds a griffin, who she decides is too kind to be a monster. Together, they travel to the sea to find monsters, and find a kraken, who saves her when she falls in the ocean and this makes her decide the kraken is not a monster. They then travel to the mountains, where they find a dragon who is sad because her baby has been taken. Bo has an idea of where he is and the monsters who are holding him.

What I loved: This story is simple and delightfully fun. Children will appreciate the storyline and chanting along with Bo, "Get ready to be got!" The lesson of the story about judging others by their actions and not by their appearance is a great one. By getting to know the "monsters," Bo learns that they are not actually monsters.

I also love her confidence, as Bo knows that she is smart and brave. These messages can also be powerful for young children. The illustrations are interesting with limited colors, but they suit the story well. The book also sets up for discussions about how danger (e.g. monsters) may not seem like it and taking care in potentially dangerous situations.

Final verdict: Simple but delightful, BO THE BRAVE is a journey about looking deeper, believing in yourself, and not judging too hastily.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Girl in Three Parts

0.0 (0)
I can split myself in two . . . something...
Honor Lost (The Honors, #3)

0.0 (0)
Quick-thinking Leviathan pilot Zara Cole must stop a planet-eating monster...
If...

0.0 (0)
Take a fantastical journey through an inspiring world where anything...
Baby Up, Baby Down: A First Book of Opposites

0.0 (0)
Handpicked by Amazon kids’ books editor, Seira Wilson, for Prime...
Be Our Guest!

0.0 (0)
Join Gray Malin’s menagerie of wild animals for a stay...
Hat Tricks

0.0 (0)
Meet Hattie the magician―she’s a natural performer, and you’re invited...
Stanley's Toolbox

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
Spring Is Here!

0.0 (0)
When spring arrives, baby animals come out to play with...
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

0.0 (0)
The delightful follow-up to When Dimple Met Rishi and There’s...
The Child of Chaos

0.0 (0)
This is what fantasy fiction should be." --Piers Anthony, New...
Want to Read Rate this book 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars Preview Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

0.0 (0)
“O say can you see” begins one of the most...

0.0 (0)
July 20, 1969. It’s a day that has earned a...
Thurgood Marshall

0.0 (0)
When Thurgood Marshall—the great grandson of a slave—was born, African...
Down Under the Pier

0.0 (0)
There’s lots of fun to be had up on the...
Lali's Feather

0.0 (0)
This endearing story of identification and values shows the rewards...

Latest Member Reviews

Hope in Patience

"After suffering the emotional and sexual abuse of her stepfather for six long years, Ashley has escaped and is learning..."
What We Saw

"The day after Kate Weston gets drunk at a party, she tries to piece the night together. She did shots..."
What We Saw

"A timely, relevant, and thought-provoking debut. What We Saw is a well-constructed cautionary tale—littered with all too realistic considerations..."
What We Saw

"What We Saw took me by surprise. There are a lot of feelings wrapped up in this story. It..."
Losing Hope (Hopeless #2)

"Usually I don't find it necessary to do an entire book from another characters perspective, but this was much appreciated...."
Bleed Like Me

"WOW. It’s no secret how strongly I loved Fault Line, so when I saw Bleed Like Me go up on..."
Faking Normal

"Alexi Littrell is keeping a secret. Something happened to her over the summer, something that drives her to hide in..."
The Things You Kiss Goodbye

"Holy heart break. This book. THIS book. First of all, Bettina is amazing. She doesn't realize..."
North of Beautiful

N/A
"I dont remember ever little detail from this book. I read it a couple years ago but I clearly remember..."
Faking Normal

"Yes, this could technically be considered an “issues” book. And I don't consider it spoilers to alert readers up front..."
Faking Normal

"What I Loved: I loved Alexi and Bodee’s relationship. The pacing was well done, how and when they opened up..."
Faking Normal

"FAKING NORMAL is one of the best contemporary reads I've ever picked up. Honest, relatable, and very real, it very..."
Hopeless (Hopeless #1)

"Holy hell. You know how most books are so predictable that you are just waiting for the words to..."
Faking Normal

"FAKING NORMAL is one of those books that sucks you in from the first page and doesn’t let you go...."
Faking Normal

" I wanted to read Faking Normal because I am drawn to anything about self-harm. I used..."
Faking Normal

"What I Loved: I hardly know where to begin with how much I loved this book. Authentic, unflinching emotional..."
Faking Normal

"This book took me on an emotional ride from start to finish. This debut is an amazing one and Courtney..."
Faking Normal

JenJen
"Thank you Courtney C. Stevens for writing an amazing story. Wow. Just, wow. This is one of those rare..."
Hopeless (Hopeless #1)

"Colleen Hoover already earned reputation that she knows how to write a good romance story with her novels Slammed and..."
Freakboy

"What I Loved: I read Freakboy as I traversed the United States. The row in front of me on the..."