Review Detail

Kids Fiction 161
Tale for a Rainy Weekend
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

After Nina Soni, Former Best Friend, Nina is back, and this time is concerned that her little sister is a bit too exuberant. She sings a lot, and when Nina is seen by everyone on the bus doing a goofy dance about Lucky the beaver with her sister, she decides that she has to make Kavita "less weird". This isn't easy to do, but Nina is great at making lists and action plans. One rainy Saturday when her parents are not feeling well, Nina decides that she will have Kavita help her build a dam near a storm drain, and this will take her sister's mind off singing. Using dirt from a pile on a neighbors' driveway, they build an oddly effective dam... that just might flood the neighborhood. Luckily, they tell their parents in time, and the dam is dismantled before any real destruction occurs. Since her parents are still ill, she and Kavita go to Nina's friend Jay's grandfather's house for the weekend without them, and Nina realizes that there are worse things than her sister's singing.
Good Points
I love the details of Nina's family life-- I can't think of another book that shows parents being ill with a nonfatal disease. It's also nice to see that Jay's family steps in to help. Like the first book, there is lots of yummy food being described. I like that Nina makes lists and has plans, even if they don't always work out the way she hopes!

I was a little alarmed by this-- I find storm drains to be extremely dangerous and never let the girls play near any. (There is a particularly tempting one near our local park.) This bothered me a lot, but hopefully will not encourage young readers to head out looking for storm drains to dam up!

Nina Soni is a great addition to early chapter books like Judy Moody, Ivy and Bean, Jasmine Toguchi, Phoebe G. Green, and other character driven series. It's great that we're finally starting to see some #ownvoices books from different cultural backgrounds.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Girl in Three Parts

0.0 (0)
I can split myself in two . . . something...
Honor Lost (The Honors, #3)

0.0 (0)
Quick-thinking Leviathan pilot Zara Cole must stop a planet-eating monster...
If...

0.0 (0)
Take a fantastical journey through an inspiring world where anything...
Baby Up, Baby Down: A First Book of Opposites

0.0 (0)
Handpicked by Amazon kids’ books editor, Seira Wilson, for Prime...
Be Our Guest!

0.0 (0)
Join Gray Malin’s menagerie of wild animals for a stay...
Hat Tricks

0.0 (0)
Meet Hattie the magician―she’s a natural performer, and you’re invited...
Stanley's Toolbox

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
Spring Is Here!

0.0 (0)
When spring arrives, baby animals come out to play with...
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

0.0 (0)
The delightful follow-up to When Dimple Met Rishi and There’s...
The Child of Chaos

0.0 (0)
This is what fantasy fiction should be." --Piers Anthony, New...
Want to Read Rate this book 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars Preview Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

0.0 (0)
“O say can you see” begins one of the most...

0.0 (0)
July 20, 1969. It’s a day that has earned a...
Thurgood Marshall

0.0 (0)
When Thurgood Marshall—the great grandson of a slave—was born, African...
Down Under the Pier

0.0 (0)
There’s lots of fun to be had up on the...
Lali's Feather

0.0 (0)
This endearing story of identification and values shows the rewards...

Latest Member Reviews

Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

"This is the type of book I’d like to see included in school curriculums. The stories are like wide open..."
Brawler

"Eddie McGuire is a talented high school wrestler with a horribly short fuse. This is no doubt a result of..."
Secrets of a Fangirl

"Sarah Anne is the biggest fan of the MK Nightshade series, but it's taboo in the popular world of her..."
Secrets of a Fangirl

"SECRETS OF A FANGIRL is a fun contemporary middle grade about embracing yourself for who you are and what you..."
The Moon Within

"What worked: Latinx ARE YOU THERE GOD, IT'S ME MARGARET. I LOVE how the author shows a strong preteen heroine..."
Cicada

"CICADA tells the story of working in a corporate job. Cicada is a good employee who works hard and doesn’t..."
Gamer Army

"In a futuristic society where almost everything has gone online, Rogan spends a lot of his time playing the game..."
The Homework Strike

"'The Homework Strike' by Greg Pincus is a relevant and worthwhile story about the power of standing up and fighting..."
Give Me Some Truth

"Carson Mastick and Magpie "Maggi" Bokoni are two Native American high school students living on a reservation outside of Niagara..."
A Werewolf Named Oliver James

"Every day after band practice, Oliver James must be home by six o'clock sharp for dinner. However, tonight is different..."
The Parker Inheritance

"Candice's grandmother was a city official in the small town of Lambert before she fell into disrepute. She thought there..."
Rabbit Moon

"A very cute bedtime story. Rabbit lives on the moon. Each night, children make wishes and they travel to..."
Silent Days, Silent Dreams

"Artist James Castle was born with many problems right before the turn of the last century. Raised on a farm,..."
The Wolf Hour

"THE WOLF HOUR by Sara Lewis Holmes is both a fairytale retelling and something new entirely. The book focuses on..."
Love, Santa

"LOVE, SANTA was so beautifully written and is the perfect way to tell your little one the truth about Santa...."
Shadowhouse Fall The Shadowshaper Cypher series (Book 2)

"I'm a huge fan of diverse novels, especially ones that are set in the paranormal world. I was beyond excited..."
Honestly Ben

"Ben Carver is a perfectly normal high-achieving boy. He is a scholarship student at a fancy private school. He has..."
The Singing Bones

"This wonderfully creepy anthology of the Grimm Brother’s fairy tales, THE SINGING BONES is a perfect read-aloud addition to bedtime..."
Princess! Fairy! Ballerina!

"Fairy! Princess! Ballerina! is the ultimate read for all children! From the beginning, I felt a bit unsure about where..."
Almost Autumn

"'Almost Autumn' by Marianne Kaurin, and translated by Rosie Hedger, is a retelling of the Holocaust and its impact in..."