Review Detail

Classroom-centric shenanigans
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Beatrice calls a meeting of Operation Upside with her friends Sam and Lenny, and they decide what the newest awards will be. Beatrice is wary, because her awards have gotten her into trouble in the past, so when she wants to present Sam with one, she is worried that Lenny might not approve. There are problems with another award as well-- Lenny wants to give one to Chloe for "Most Brave", but when she sneaks into Chloe's pretend vet clinic, she sees an Upside award already posted, for Best Vet! Of course,Beatrice has to investigate, but she is soon getting herself into trouble at school. Her parents, who are well used to her shenanigans, ask that she scale things back, and even take away her ninja suit. Still, the mystery must be solved, and the careful dynamics of elementary friendships must be preserved if Beatrice is to remain friends with Lenny as well as newcomer Sam.
Good Points
This is an excellent chapter book for readers who have read all of Parks' Junie B. Jones books and are a little older than Junie; second through fourth grade would be the sweet spot for this. Beatrice is very energetic, interested in break dancing, and finds it hard to sit still in school. The episode where she is determined to make it through class without getting three marks against her is very indicative of her personality, and even though she tries very hard to behave herself, it just isn't in her nature to do so. Young readers enjoy characters who sometimes get into trouble, and adults enjoy those books if the character is well meaning.

Friendship problems are different in elementary school than they are in middle school, and I enjoyed how this book was very classroom-centric, and how the girls interacted with many different classmates. They suspect several of them for various reasons, like Wes and his scented magic markers, but are never mean in their interactions. They think through who might have had motive and means for creating and presenting the certificate, and work to solve the mystery.

The adults in the book are also well represented; when Beatrice makes the poor decision to investigate instead of getting on her bus to go home, we see the concern for her well being demonstrated by her parents, and I particularly liked how the principal works with Beatrice to make her understand how the school is concerned with her safety.

Readers who are big fans of Judy Moody, Ivy and Bean, Brown's Lola Levine, Mills Franklin School Friends and English's Carver Chronicles will enjoy Beatrice's exuberant antics as she tries to navigate through school and relationships with friends.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Fisher- Price Fun in the Jungle: Explore, Touch, and Feel

0.0 (0)
Children will love exploring the different textures in this playful...
Glitter Globes: The Night Before Christmas

0.0 (0)
On the night before Christmas, all over the house, not...
Belinda Fellgate: HellCat

0.0 (0)
A contemporary teen fantasy about an inept 14-year-old girl who...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling author...
Music for Tigers

0.0 (0)
Shipped halfway around the world to spend the summer...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. ...
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lira and Reyker have lost everything. Including each other....
Sword of the Seven Sins

0.0 (0)
Eva Marteinn never wanted to be a killer. Raised...
Things That Should Stay Buried

0.0 (0)
Some destinies are written in the stars. Others must...
How It All Blew Up

0.0 (0)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda goes to Italy...
Horrid

0.0 (0)
From the author of You Must Not Miss comes...
Tsalix Silverthorn and the Scepter of Destiny

0.0 (0)
The latest phenomenal work from New York Times Bestselling author...
The Adventures of Bubba Jones (#4): Time Traveling Through Grand Canyon National Park

0.0 (0)
In the fourth book of this award-winning national park series,...
The Companion

0.0 (0)
The other orphans say Margot is lucky. Lucky to...
Sanctuary

0.0 (0)
It's 2032, and in this near-future America, all citizens...
Teen Titans: Beast Boy

0.0 (0)
Author Kami Garcia (Beautiful Creatures) and artist Gabriel Picolo,...

Latest Member Reviews

Fisher- Price Fun in the Jungle: Explore, Touch, and Feel

"FUN IN THE JUNGLE is an adorable board book great for infants and young toddlers who are exploring the world..."
Glitter Globes: The Night Before Christmas

"THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS modifies the original poem to be more modern and easily understood by young children. The classic..."
Twisting Minds

"The story: At seventeen, Claire Harper’s life has taken a turn for the worse – her mother..."
Breathless

"BREATHLESS is a book about change, secrets, and the aftermath. Claudine (Claude) is about to graduate high school, and she..."
Fae's Prisoner (Crimes of the Fae)

"This is the book I didn’t know I needed! Fae’s Prisoner by M. Lynn & Melissa A. Craven is the..."
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

"SKYHUNTER is an enthralling and lush YA fantasy. Lu really paints the story with her words, and this new novel..."
The Library of Lost Things

"I wasn't sure what to expect with The Library of Lost Things, but I know I didn't anticipate a book..."
Fae's Prisoner (Crimes of the Fae)

"After reading Queens of the Fae, I had such mixed feelings about Griffin... but now I love him! This book..."
Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine, #1)

"Andra, a teenager from the 2160s, is put into cryogenic stasis fulling expecting to wake up on another planet one..."
Just Shelby

N/A
"ARCs available for review @XpressoBookTours: http://xpressobooktours.com/2020/09/10/review-opportunity-just-shelby-by-brooklyn-james/?fbclid=IwAR2v9c-b9Z0YagynLTaMCNt-c-WW6nmWYZbuVBZYFoGNADs5c-DD6YayMGU"
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

"KINGDOM OF ICE AND BONE picks up where the first book left off. Lira and Reyker are separated and each..."
How It All Blew Up

"HOW IT ALL BLEW UP is an absolutely riveting coming-out story. Amir Azadi is an Iranian American who has always..."