Review Detail

Great for Stormbreaker Fans
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Charlie is a twelve year old intellectual prodigy who has uncaring, manipulative parents whom she has escaped by enrolling in college in Denver. Of course, she would rather be dangerously snowboarding with sorority girls than attending classes where she knows more than the professor, so it's easy for the CIA to bring her in for a mission. Well, not really easy, because she also has a finely tuned sense of her surroundings and the ability to steal and drive vehicles. Once Dante and Milana finally get Charlie on a private jet, they explain to her why they have captured her. Albert Einstein had been working on a formula for a source of energy, called Pandora's Box, years before his death. It was never reported that he found it, but new information indicated that he did, and that an evil Neo Nazi group called the Furies knows of its whereabouts. There were some clues, left by Einstein as he was dying, but no one in the CIA can figure them out. Dante is Charlie's half brother, and he knows of her skills as well as her fleecing of a corporation that stole her idea, so uses this to blackmail her into helping. She is a big help, not only with her mental abilities, but with her surprising knowledge of how to knock bad guys unconscious. The quest for the formula takes them from Israel to the Hubble lab in California, following clues that look like formulas. There are several nefarious groups racing to get the formula, and a lot of double crossing. In the end, it looks like Charlie has been killed, but anyone who has ever read Horowitz's Alex Rider books knows that tween spies are notoriously hard to kill.
Good Points
This was one tumultuous ride! I loved the beginning, with Albert Einstein's death and the immediate descent of agents on his house, and the clues from books he owned. Including famous historical figures into more modern stories is a great way to get children interested in biographies, and Einstein was a great choice. The fact that Charlie doesn't have to worry about parents or money will appeal to young readers, and the travel to different places appealed to me! This really doesn't slow down for a minute, in the best possible way.

Gibbs is hugely popular with my students, who love his Funjungle, Spy School and Space Base Alpha mysteries. There were practically fist fights over my one copy of this book!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Speak enters the world of Gossip Girl in this modern...
Sister of the Bollywood Bride

0.0 (0)
For fans of Morgan Matson's Save the Date comes a...
Nosotros Means Us: Un cuento bilingüe

0.0 (0)
A moving bilingual ode to the unshakeable bond between a...
Awakened Are the Starry-Eyed

0.0 (0)
A new city and unexpected freedom give Andrea the fresh...
A Brutal Justice

0.0 (0)
Protect the weak. Safety for all. Power without virtue is...
A Tale of Ashes

0.0 (0)
Across the country, human teens are going missing, and all...
The Captain's Daughters

0.0 (0)
What would you do if you were abducted by aliens,...
The Hollow Inside

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Phoenix has spent much of her life drifting from...
Truth or Dare

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Summervale… One of the USA’s top vacation...
Around Curiosity's Edge: Hidden Meridians

0.0 (0)
A hidden world waits, a dark society schemes, and a...
Spells Trouble (Sisters of Salem, #1)

0.0 (0)
Double double, twins spell trouble… ...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after...

Latest Member Reviews

None Shall Sleep

"NONE SHALL SLEEP is an engaging YA psychological thriller. The book follows Emma Lewis, who in the past was captured..."
They Wish They Were Us

"THEY WISH THEY WERE US is an engaging YA thriller reminiscent of GOSSIP GIRLS. The book follows Jill, who had..."
Little Creeping Things

"LITTLE CREEPING THINGS was definitely a engrossing read, as I finished it pretty quickly. Here, we have Cassidy, who has..."
All the Things We Do in the Dark

"ALL THE THINGS WE DO IN THE DARK is an intensely challenging and thought-provoking read with some magical realism elements...."
All Eyes on Us

"GOSSIP GIRL meets PRETTY LITTLE LIARS in this YA thriller. ALL EYES ON US follows Rosalie and Amanda in back..."
The Hanging Girl

"“The Hanging Girl” was an intense YA thriller that was impossible to put down. Skye (Candi Skye Thorn) has had..."
The Hanging Girl

"The Hanging Girl was a quick, suspenseful read. Author Eileen Cook has a great writing style. The story picked up..."
The Hanging Girl

"Skye Thorn is a fake. Her so-called psychic abilities are all a scam. Then she gets involved in the biggest..."
Sanctuary Bay

"Sanctuary Bay was a title I was really excited to read and I admit that I hate that I pushed..."
The Killer In Me

"Seventeen-year-old Nina Barrows hates to sleep. Whenever she does, she sees through the eyes of a serial killer that..."
How to Disappear

" How to Disappear is an intriguing, adventurous tale about a girl running for..."
How to Disappear

"How to Disappear is about a girl on the run and the boy she meets along the way…the boy who..."
Complicit

N/A
" Complicit is one of those dark tales that grabs you and forces you to turn the page even though..."
Sanctuary Bay

"Sarah Merson is used to a world of Goodwill and foster homes, and the new, prestigious school she’s been accepted..."
The Dogs

"Sometimes secrets are harmless, sometimes they are fun, but other times, secrets can be dangerous. The Dogs is..."
Ruthless

"Ruth Carver's nickname is 'Ruthless' as she takes charge and goes after what she wants. She's ambitious and tough...."
The Bunker Diary

"After reading iBoy I have found myself truly addicted to Kevin Brooks' writing style. It is real and raw...."
Complicit

"I’m not sure the right words even exist to describe this, but I’ll try. It’s dark, twisted and strange. On..."
Black Ice

" Honestly, at first, I wasn't planning to read Black Ice, but when I got a copy..."
Complicit

"COMPLICIT is an amazing book. It's the story of Jamie and his sister, Crazy Cate. Cate may be the craziest..."