Review Detail

Kids Fiction 447
On These Magic Shores
(Updated: February 05, 2020)
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Twelve-year-old Minerva "Minnie" Soledad Miranda has big goals. She wants to be the first Latina president of the United States and she wants to be cast as Wendy in her middle school's production of Peter Pan. The day of auditions, her mother goes missing. Minnie doesn't know what to do. So she tries her best to step in and help her younger sisters. When her mother still doesn't appear, Minnie fears the worse.

What worked: Charming middle-grade tale of a young Latinx girl who gathers the strength within to help her younger sisters after her mother goes missing. A huge plus of this novel has to be the quiet strength of Minnie, who tries to step in and help her sisters.

Magic realism with hints of Peques, Argentinian fairies, sprinkled throughout the story. After her mother's disappearance, mysterious things appear in her house like cupcakes, hidden money, and glitter around offered milk on a plate. Though Minnie brushes these strange occurrences aside, her younger sisters do believe in the fairies gifts.

One huge thing I loved had to be how Minnie stands up and points not only how offensive some parts of Peter Pan are, but looks up ways to bring in changes that are empowering. She also reaches out to others when she needs help.

Sweet diverse tale sprinkled with magic. This story also addresses profiling and racism. Plus, of course, the power of believing not only in stories, but yourself.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Unleashed

0.0 (0)
In the terrifying sequel to The Haunted, Hendricks discovers that...
Paint by Sticker Kids: Dinosaurs: Create 10 Pictures One Sticker at a Time!

0.0 (0)
Create pictures of 10 awesome dinosaurs... with stickers! ...
Tad
Tad

0.0 (0)
From Benji Davies, the award-winning creator of The Storm Whale...
Go Get 'Em, Tiger! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

0.0 (0)
The perfect picture book to celebrate every milestone from the...
A World of Opposites

0.0 (0)
From ALONE and TOGETHER to ABOVE and BELOW, Gray Malin’s...
The Voting Booth

0.0 (0)
From Stonewall Award-winning author Brandy Colbert comes an all-in-one-day love...
Now & When

0.0 (0)
For fans of Jenny Han and Christine Riccio comes a...
Dating Makes Perfect

0.0 (0)
The Tech sisters don’t date in high school. Not because...
Now That I've Found You

0.0 (0)
Now That I've Found You is a YA novel about...
Entwined

0.0 (0)
Sometimes love gets a bit twisted. ...
A Girl in Three Parts

0.0 (0)
I can split myself in two . . . something...
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

0.0 (0)
Amanda Hocking, the New York Times bestselling author of...
Scarlet Odyssey

0.0 (0)
Magic is women’s work; war is men’s. But in...
Honor Lost (The Honors, #3)

0.0 (0)
Quick-thinking Leviathan pilot Zara Cole must stop a planet-eating monster...
If...

0.0 (0)
Take a fantastical journey through an inspiring world where anything...

0.0 (0)
The power of the dragon totems is no longer a...

Latest Member Reviews

10 Things I Hate About Pinky

"10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT PINKY is a cute YA romance that features a fake-turned-real relationship and opposites-attract couple. Pinky..."
Between Burning Worlds

"What worked: This is the second novel in the Systems Divide series. Between Burning Worlds starts right off where the..."
Girls With Razor Hearts

"Now that Mena and the other girls have escaped Innovations Academy, they find their past hasn't left them. Mena vows..."
The Lady Rogue

"THE LADY ROGUE is an absolutely thrilling historical fiction/fantasy. In the vein of THE MUMMY but in Romania and with..."
This Cruel Design

"Feedback This book…. What do I have to say about this book…. I have such a love/hate relationship with it...."
There's Something About Sweetie

"Sandhya Menon's backlist is full of romantic, heartfelt stories, and THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT SWEETIE is no exception. Sweetie Nair is..."
The Geography of Lost Things

"THE GEOGRAPHY OF LOST THINGS by Jessica Brody is a YA contemporary novel that begins with Ali needing to sell..."
Sanctuary

"X-men Gen X (i.e. the teen version) meets Aliens-lite in this survival-in-space story. Told in first-person past-tense from..."
Confessions of a High School Disaster

"Confessions of a High School Disaster is the first installment of the Chloe Snow series. I read the second installment..."
A Kiss in the Dark

"WHAT I LOVED: Macy is a likable, layered character and her narration flows easily. Even when my frustration mounted..."
The Year of Living Awkwardly

"Chloe Snow is a high school sophomore who is struggling with the abandonment of her mother. She also is absorbed..."

""Pretties" is a continuation of the Uglies series where Tally Youngblood has now returned to the city and become a..."
The Wicked Deep

"The promise of a novel filled with the essence of both Practical Magic and Hocus Pocus is fulfilled by reading..."
You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone

"You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone was one of the last books I read in 2017 and I couldn't have..."
The Last Magician

"The Last Magician was a magical and exciting novel set in 1902 that featured time-travel, magic and gangs in New..."
When Dimple Met Rishi

"A contemporary YA romance—heavy on the romance—with an Indian-American take on the attraction of opposites. The story is told..."
Light Years

" Thank you so much Simon Pulse and the FFBC for providing me with a e-arc for review. In compliance..."
When Dimple Met Rishi

"When Dimple Met Rishi was on my most anticipated list for this year. One of the things I love about..."
Light Years

"A dystopian-leaning mid-apocalyptic YA with a pandemic premise and a code savvy heroine. The book takes place in a..."
The Museum of Heartbreak

"I really relate to this book very much. Most especially with Pen. This book was so honest. Many symbolisms but..."