Review Detail

Escaping the Nazis with the help of dogs
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Juliette's father is a baker in Belgium in 1944, and has been threatened by the occupying Nazis into giving them extra bread in exchange for protection. Since everyone is starving, Juliette's parents decide to leave town and hope that they can find somewhere safer. Juliette doesn't want to leave, and makes a last ditch attempt to go to the family's hidden house in the forest and alert the Kraismans, a Jewish family hiding there. When she arrives, she finds the door open and the house empty, and also that a bullying neighbor, Antoine, had been bringing them food. While searching the house, they hear German soldiers approach and hide, only to be caught in the house when it is set on fire. They manage to escape, but have to try to survive in the woods. At the same time, American forces are arriving from Alaska at the front line of the Battle of the Bulge. Two military dogs, Boss and Tank, end up finding the children, and the group takes off, trying to get to safety. It's treacherous, cold, and seemingly hopeless. Will Boss be able to get the children to safety and also fulfill his duty?
Good Points
All of the books in this series are a great length, and packed with action and adventure. They remind me a little of the mid century We Were There books in that they bring in children to participate in historic events, so there is a tween perspective to them that young readers can understand. Adding in military dogs, with plenty of notes about the battles at the end of the book, makes for a winning combination.

Juliette and Antoine are interesting characters, and the fact that they didn't know the other was helping the family as well makes an interesting point; during war, you make sure that secrets stay secrets. We never quite find out why Antoine had been so mean to Juliette, but they manage to forge a relationship after their harrowing time in the forest.

Readers of Calkhoven's G.I.Dogs, Hart's Dog Chronicles, and London's Dogs of War will want to collect all of these riveting tales of bravery and survival, and will look forward to the next installments, Heroes on the Homefront and Shipwreck on the High Seas.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Beautiful Ones

5.0 (1)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites,...
Ember of Night

0.0 (0)
I am a weed. Unloved by my abusive, alcoholic...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good...
Perfectly Parvin

0.0 (0)
Fourteen-year-old Iranian-American Parvin Mohammadi sets out to win the...
Havoc (Haven, #2)

0.0 (0)
For the first time in his life, Rain Ryland...
Finding Junie Kim

0.0 (0)
Junie Kim just wants to fit in. So she keeps...
Parachutes

0.0 (0)
Speak enters the world of Gossip Girl in this modern...
The Bachmann Family Secret

0.0 (0)
Jaret Bachmann travels with his family to his beloved...
Sister of the Bollywood Bride

0.0 (0)
For fans of Morgan Matson's Save the Date comes a...
Nosotros Means Us: Un cuento bilingüe

0.0 (0)
A moving bilingual ode to the unshakeable bond between a...
Awakened Are the Starry-Eyed

0.0 (0)
A new city and unexpected freedom give Andrea the fresh...
A Brutal Justice

0.0 (0)
Protect the weak. Safety for all. Power without virtue is...

Latest Member Reviews

The Beautiful Ones

"I’d really like to advice all out there feeling depressed and broken hearted from relationship stress, there’s hope for dr..."
Rent a Boyfriend

"I'm not even sure where to begin with this review, to be honest, because I loved this book so much...."
Reclaimed

"HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL BY doctor0lovespell@gmail.com My name..."
New Moon (Twilight #2)

"HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL BY doctor0lovespell@gmail.com My name..."
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)

Twilight (Twilight #1)

Counting Down with You

Counting Down with You

Parachutes

"WHAT I LOVED: Claire is a rich Chinese girl living the high life in Shanghai with both her parents even..."
Sister of the Bollywood Bride

"SISTER OF THE BOLLYWOOD BRIDE is an engaging YA contemporary read about sisterhood, family, and community with a dash of..."
On the Way to Birdland

"Reviewed By Vincent Dublado for Readers’ Favorite A touching coming of age novel by Frank Morelli, On..."
The Hollow Inside

"THE HOLLOW INSIDE is a shocking and riveting YA thriller. Phoenix and her mother Nina have been living out of..."
Spells Trouble (Sisters of Salem, #1)

"SPELLS TROUBLE is a thrilling YA fantasy that takes the reader from Salem during the witch trials to the midwest..."
10 Truths and a Dare

"10 TRUTHS AND A DARE is a book about family and owning up to your mistakes. Olivia is about to..."
The Beautiful Ones

"It's the start of Grand Season and Nina's chance to join the Beautiful Ones, Loisail's notable socialites, hasn't gone well...."
A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin #1)

"This was... one of the best books I've read in a long time. It was one of my absolute favorite..."
Yes No Maybe So

"I should start by saying I don't normally read books involving politics because I read to escape real life. That..."
Made in Korea

"MADE IN KOREA is a sweet romantic-comedy about competition, family, and reaching for your dreams. Valerie runs a very successful..."
The Keeper of Night

"HOW I GOT MY HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF DR.IFADE CONTACT ON WHATS_APP NUMBER +1(551)333-5249. OR HIS EMAIL ..."
Perfectly Parvin

"PERFECTLY PARVIN is a laugh-out-loud, charming YA contemporary fiction read. Parvin is about to begin her freshman year of high..."