Review Detail

delightful middle grade interactive series
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

THE EDGE OF THE WORD is another absolutely delightful interactive story, where you are the main character in the book. In these books, you have been thrust into Astorya, a fictional land, where you don't know your name and are only armed with a pencil. The book includes fill-in-the-blank mad-lib style entries, puzzles, mazes, and places where you can draw the way you would imagine something. The vast majority of the book remains the actual plot/story line, so the entries are a bonus for the tenacious middle grade reader.

The first book ended with you saving Astorya from Queen Rulette. This second book starts right after the first one ended where you must again save Astorya by protecting the Original (the story that created Astorya). In this journey, you and the gang must go to the Other Side (of the page). A whole new and completely ridiculously delightful story awaits. Filled with funny moments, clever puzzles, and all sorts of interesting characters, this book is another charmer in the series.

What I loved: These books have a lot of potential in that they can be really interactive and engaging. I could easily see these being a classroom read, where students complete the puzzles/tasks together or alone. The story itself is really strong, so the interactive parts are just a bonus. Astorya is quite imaginative with plenty of comedy and action/adventure. The footnotes are also completely delightful and add some extra fun to the book.

Final verdict: This is a really fantastic middle grade series that I would highly recommend for this audience. Fans of SIDEWAYS STORIES OF WAYSIDE SCHOOL, CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE books, fairy tales, mad libs, and puzzles will all find something to delight in this unique new series.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Prophecy Untold (Shadow Realms book 3)

0.0 (0)
Finding out my mother was taken by the demons...
Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut about first love and second...
Six Goodbyes We Never Said

0.0 (0)
Two teens meet after tragedy and learn about love,...
Golden Crown

0.0 (0)
No longer only a warrior. Not just a queen....

0.0 (0)
The first vampire. The last Nephilim. The end...
The Galactic Adventures of Hazel - Gurecoa

0.0 (0)
What is it like to live in 4519 AD...
Batman: Nightwalker (The Graphic Novel)

0.0 (0)
This action-packed graphic novel based on the New York...

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Rose Hemmersbach aspires to break out of small town...
Stuffed

0.0 (0)
Welcome, little one. You have been chosen to join us,...
Merged

0.0 (0)
Seven of our country’s most gifted teens will become Nobels,...
Bury Me

4.7 (1)
No one ever leaves Copper Hollow. It's a town with...
Estranged #2: The Changeling King

0.0 (0)
Enter a world of faerie magic and epic adventure in...
The Edge of the Word (Mightier than the Sword, #2)

0.0 (0)
The exciting follow-up to Mightier Than the Sword, the humorous...
Write to Me: Letters from Japanese American Children to the Librarian They Left Behind

0.0 (0)
A touching story about Japanese American children who corresponded with...
Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orisha)

0.0 (0)
After battling the impossible, Zélie and Amari have finally succeeded...
Rat Rule 79: An Adventure (Yonder, #1)

0.0 (0)
From the New Yorker “20 Under 40” author of Atmospheric...

Latest Member Reviews

The Forest Queen

"THE FOREST QUEEN by Betsy Cornwell caught my eye at first glance. The cover is beautiful and promises a tale..."
Nice Try, Jane Sinner

"HILARIOUS. Nice Try, Jane Sinner is hands down one of the funniest YA books I've ever read. Just imagine a..."
It All Comes Down to This

"Sophie has just moved to a mainly white neighborhood of Los Angeles. Luckily, she has a friend nearby, Jennifer, who..."
Black River Falls

"Black River Falls, New York has been beset by Lassiter's Viral Retrograde Amnesia and is quarantined. The National Guard is..."
The Caged Graves

"The idea behind caged graves really had me intrigued. Add in a hint of something reminiscent of the Salem Witch..."