Review Detail

delightful middle grade interactive series
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

THE EDGE OF THE WORD is another absolutely delightful interactive story, where you are the main character in the book. In these books, you have been thrust into Astorya, a fictional land, where you don't know your name and are only armed with a pencil. The book includes fill-in-the-blank mad-lib style entries, puzzles, mazes, and places where you can draw the way you would imagine something. The vast majority of the book remains the actual plot/story line, so the entries are a bonus for the tenacious middle grade reader.

The first book ended with you saving Astorya from Queen Rulette. This second book starts right after the first one ended where you must again save Astorya by protecting the Original (the story that created Astorya). In this journey, you and the gang must go to the Other Side (of the page). A whole new and completely ridiculously delightful story awaits. Filled with funny moments, clever puzzles, and all sorts of interesting characters, this book is another charmer in the series.

What I loved: These books have a lot of potential in that they can be really interactive and engaging. I could easily see these being a classroom read, where students complete the puzzles/tasks together or alone. The story itself is really strong, so the interactive parts are just a bonus. Astorya is quite imaginative with plenty of comedy and action/adventure. The footnotes are also completely delightful and add some extra fun to the book.

Final verdict: This is a really fantastic middle grade series that I would highly recommend for this audience. Fans of SIDEWAYS STORIES OF WAYSIDE SCHOOL, CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE books, fairy tales, mad libs, and puzzles will all find something to delight in this unique new series.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...
Slingshot

0.0 (0)
An exciting debut contemporary young adult novel perfect for...
The Keeper of Night

5.0 (1)
Death is her destiny. Half...
The Girls are Never Gone

0.0 (0)
The Conjuring meets Sadie when seventeen-year-old podcaster Dare takes an...

Latest Member Reviews

Princess of Thorns

"Princess of Thorns was not what I was expecting. It was better. This is a..."
Princess of Thorns

JenJen
"Story: 4.5 Stars I'm often skeptical of re-tellings, but this one was done in such an imaginative way that..."
Of Beast and Beauty

"What I Liked: Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised to really enjoy Of Beast and Beauty, since I enjoyed the..."
Of Beast and Beauty

" After finishing this book I'm stuck thinking to myself "Did I read the same book as everyone else? I..."
Juliet Immortal (Juliet Immortal #1)

" I saw this book on my libraries online renting site. The cover while interesting and attention grabbing, would..."

"Juliet Immortal made some pretty valiant attempts toward being a compelling novel. And the majority of those attempts worked pretty..."

"Talk about making you look at Romeo and Juliet with new eyes. This was amazing! With Juliet fighting for love..."
Romeo Redeemed (Juliet Immortal #2)

"Romeo Redeemed by Stacey Jay ARC received from Delacorte BFYR via Edelweiss Release Date: 10-9-2012 Reviewed by: Middle..."
Romeo Redeemed (Juliet Immortal #2)

N/A
"Originally reviewed on A Reader of Fictions: http://readeroffictions.blogspot.com/2012/10/review-romeo-redeemed.html Something I love to do but don't get to all that..."

"In all honesty, I really didn't expect to like this. Romeo and Juliet was not my favorite play to begin..."

"This book was so ridiculously good and I loved it. Juliet is not the same Juliet from the play,..."

"ISBN: 9781595142252 Publisher: Razorbill Pages: 263 Fifteen-year-old Megan Berry is a Zombie Settler by birth. All Megan wants is..."

"I wanted to love this book. A YA contemporary spin-off of a Shakespeare classic? Brilliant! But while the plot held..."

""But sometimes I wonder... sometimes I doubt" That is my favorite quotation in Juliet Immortal. I answered..."

"This book disappointed me. I was really looking forward to reading it as the plot was absolutely fascinating; however, I..."

"In "Juliet Immortal", Romeo and Juliet are back... and they're enemies. What Shakespear didn't tell you was that, Romeo murdered..."

"Reader reviewed by always with a b00k~sarah!! i loved this book! ive read quite a few and have a personal..."

"Reader reviewed by Sara From back cover:"Q: How many zombies does it take to ruin a social life?A: Not many.Megan..."

"Reader reviewed by Lexie When I first heard/read about this book I wasn't so sure I would like it. Even..."

"Reader reviewed by stephanie You Are So Undead To Me brings a twisted spin to the typical zombies and..."