Review Detail

Kids Fiction 290
charming and lovely picture book
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

DOG AND RABBIT is a charming tale of friendship. Told in four parts, the book introduces Dog and then Rabbit. Both are happy to be alone, but sometimes it gets lonely and they long for a friend to play with and walk/hop with. However, making new friends can be difficult. When Rabbit arrives at Dog's house, he sees a bunny magnet/sticker on the fridge and decides to make friends with it, smiling at the bunny. Dog notices Rabbit, and wishing to be friends with Rabbit, smiles at Rabbit before Rabbit hops away. In the final part, Rabbit finds out the bunny is not real, and Dog and Rabbit become friends.

With lovely, colorful illustrations and simple text, this book could easily work for older infants and toddlers as well as preschool/early elementary schoolers who are emerging readers. The text-to-picture ratio is ideal for both, and while the text is repetitive with simple words, it is not boring and tells a truly charming story.

What I loved: The images are lovely with charming characters featured on every page. They are simple with a few small details but tell the story perfectly with Dog and Rabbit having very expressive faces. The field of flowers and stars in night images are truly lovely. The text is simple, clear, and completely adorable. Friendship is complicated, and it can be difficult to make friends. This story also gives hope and shows the value of smiles and patience. The pages themselves are also nice and thick, making them easy to turn and difficult to tear- a valuable trait in books for young children.

Final verdict: Ideal for emerging readers and young listeners, this lovely story of friendship is certainly worth picking up. Elegant illustrations combined with charming text make this a fantastic picture book about patience, smiles, and making friends.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account