Review Detail

Kids Fiction 135
Super Advice
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

In this short, middle grade graphic novel, DC superheroes from the Justice League answer e mails from young fans. Superman is asked if he ever makes mistakes, and a story unfolds with one of his rescues taking multiple wrong turns. Aquaman gets an inquiry about whether he smells like fish, leading to some super hero introspection. Wonder Woman recounts her busy life after being invited to a young admirer's birthday party, and then decides to attend. The Green Lantern thinks about his costuming after being questioned by a young fashionista, and Batman counsels a young writer about being new in town.
Good Points
The super heroes' backstories unfold with lots of pictures and few words, but it is clear that they struggle just as much as their fans, although in somewhat different ways. I love the administrative side of being a superhero, and the fact that answering e mails is a chore even for the likes of Wonder Woman! There is a good mix of silly antics and introspection that is not a surprise coming from a great middle grade author like Northrop.

The illustrations are done in full color, and this reminded me of the comic books we used to purchase at gas stations on long car trips, although the small size makes this easier to carry in backpacks.

Young readers who are fans of DC comics, or adults who WANT young readers to be fans, will find this an excellent way to introduce the canon of characters in the Justice League and entice readers to look into the comic books. This is a must have for readers who enjoyed Yee's DC Super Hero Girls Adventure Collection, Fridolfs and Nguyen's DC Comics: Secret Hero Society and Pearson and Gonzalez's Super Sons: The Polarshield Project.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
All the Things We Do in the Dark

0.0 (0)
Sadie meets Girl in Pieces in this dark, emotional thriller...
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

0.0 (0)
Abigail has just started her second year at the Tarkana...
Fancy Nancy: Camp Fancy

0.0 (0)
Based on the Disney Junior TV show and inspired by...
Rules for Vanishing

0.0 (0)
In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history, leaving...
Harry Potter Origami

0.0 (0)
Ever wanted to fold your own Chocolate Frogs? Or play...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon will...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal revolution...
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with...
On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...
The Brightsiders

0.0 (0)
A teen rockstar has to navigate family, love, coming out,...

0.0 (0)
Could you fall in love with a robot? ...

Latest Member Reviews

Winter's Captive

"YA fantasy has always been my favorite. However, the past few months, I'd been in a slump. I struggled getting..."
The Fractured Empire

"I don’t know where to start! The Fractured Empire by Robin D. Mahle is the first in the World Apart..."
Tin Men

"Tin Men by Amalie Jahn The story: After losing his estranged father, Charlie Johnson’s..."
Tin Men

"Would you risk your future to discover your past? What I Loved: The premise of..."
Perfectly You

"What I loved: Ivy's character is strong, driven, and even a bit inconsiderate at times. Giving her character flaws..."
COLD DAY IN THE SUN

"An adorable story that has a lot to say. The story: Holland is the only..."
Lily and the Wedding Date Mistake

"'Lily and the Wedding Date Mistake' by Seven Steps is a story of friendship lost and found between main characters..."
Bea and the Bad Boy

"'Bea and the Bad Boy' by Anna Catherine Field is a page-turning story that evolves from two people who don't..."
Igloo High

"'Igloo High' by Jacinthe Dessureault has many of the typical aspects that young adult novels contain, including a popular girl,..."
Super Powers

"The story: Hot on the heels of the event of Super Humans (Book One), we get inside..."
Perfectly Oblivious

"This was a sweet high school love story centered around basketball and missed intentions. What I liked: ..."
The Kilwade Tragedy

"Before I start this review, I do want to let you all know that this book is trigger heavy. The..."
Colliding Skies

" What I loved: The cover, obviously, is gorgeous and eye catching. Skye's character is a genuine..."
Kismet and Karma

"The other side of the story. The Story: We finally get to see just what happened..."
Fate and Fortune

"Such a cute story. The Story: Paige is heartbroken after her boyfriend of two years..."
Oberon Academy Book One: The Orphan

"This is a promising start to an exciting new fae series! What I loved: The writing style is..."
Bea and the Bad Boy

"When Bea's best friend Katherine and twin brother Atticus start dating, she feels betrayed and can't stand to see them..."
The C Word

"Addison and Julian have history between them that neither like to talk about. Things changed after that fateful night of..."
The Culling

"Grant and his sister Stevie are on their own, trying to survive in a desolate bayou with limited food sources...."
Darkblood Academy

"With the integration of the human and supernatural worlds, things are bound to get crazy. Luna never thought she was..."