Review Detail

charming and odd story that will appeal to the middle grade audience
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

A SMALL ZOMBIE PROBLEM is a charming story in the vein of A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS and Tim Burton. August is a boy who has lived his whole life in a dilapidated house. He likes to create skeleton figurines. His family had an empire based on hot sauces, which ended, and now, he lives with his aunt who is stuck in the past, wearing her Miss Chili Pepper Princess tiara and sash still today. His aunt is terrified of butterflies, which is particularly unfortunate, since he has a chemical anomaly where he secretes something that attracts butterflies. Whenever he goes outside, he is swarmed by butterflies.

One day, August breaks the rules and does venture outside, where he meets three boys. Shortly following, he receives an invitation from an aunt he never knew he had, and he decides to take it. Along the way, he accidentally creates a zombie of his great-aunt Claudette who died when she was a girl. Thinking he looks similar to her older brother, Claudette proceeds to follow him around while he tries to discover how to solve his small zombie problem.

Ultimately charming and funny, the story follows August as he ventures outside the house and discovers new things about the world and people he never would have expected. Left open-ended for the next book in the series, this book has high appeal including the illustrations that perfectly capture key scenes and items throughout.

What I loved: This was a giggle-worthy book that creates many laughs throughout. While it may be very light horror (owing to the zombie's presence), the zombie was possibly the most charming character in the book, whereas some of the living people were less so. This contrast adds some extra delight to an overall intriguing premise.

August is also a great main character, and it was entertaining to see the world through his eyes. Although his family is a little strange, he has a lot of caring and kindness to share that I look forward to seeing more of. This is a light and fun read, complete with some fantastic illustrations that really bring the story and characters to life.

Final verdict: Overall, this is a delightful and charming book about August, his family, and his new, small zombie problem. Highly recommend for any middle grade readers looking for something unique, a little bit odd, and with some light laughs.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Rosenhart Book I 'The Sight'

0.0 (0)
"Be the Legend, Join the Quest" The Rosenhart...
Fabric of a Generation

0.0 (0)
For one teen, life's greatest adventure isn't time travel but...
Close Calls: How Eleven US Presidents Escaped from the Brink of Death

0.0 (0)
Historians tell the stories of tragic and untimely presidential deaths,...
Imber (Book One of The Thanatos Trilogy)

0.0 (0)
The locks are failing. The...
Awesome Dog 5000 (#1)

0.0 (0)
Marty, Ralph, and Skyler might make the ultimate secret combo...
Althea Gibson: The Story of Tennis' Fleet-of-Foot Girl

0.0 (0)
Althea Gibson was the quickest, tallest, most fearless athlete in...
The Big Game

0.0 (0)
Danny Owens is dedicating his seventh-grade season to his Super...
Race to the Sun

0.0 (0)
Lately, seventh grader Nizhoni Begay has been able to detect...
Suffragette: The Battle for Equality

0.0 (0)
Imprisonment, hunger strikes, suffrajitsu — the decades-long fight for women’s...
Catherine's War

0.0 (0)
A magnificent narrative inspired by a true survival story that...
Dangerous Alliance

0.0 (0)
Lady Victoria Aston has everything she could want: an older...
Dugout: The Zombie Steals Home

0.0 (0)
Twins Stacy and Gina Cavallaro are on rival little league...

Latest Member Reviews

Girl at Heart

"I know better than to start a Kelly Oram book at bedtime. I know better, yet I do it with..."
Dating Nashville

"If you read the first series, Redefining Me, you got a glimpse at these characters and probably love them just..."
The F Word (Redefining Me book 1)

"'Dating My Best Friend' (former title: 'The F Word') by Michelle MacQueen and Ann Maree Craven delves deeply into themes..."
Pawns (The Wielders of Arantha)

"Pawns by Patrick Hodges is the first book in the Wielders of Arantha series. Complex and creative don’t begin to..."
The Reader

"I devoured The Reader by M.K. Harkins. There’s no other way to describe it. I read it in one sitting..."
Adaptive

"The story: Lune Avery has survived the Elite Trials and escaped the clutches of her tyrant father,..."

"This darker and grittier sequel of Issaura's Claws, steers readers on a journey outside the kingdom of Elysia into the..."
Winter's Captive

"YA fantasy has always been my favorite. However, the past few months, I'd been in a slump. I struggled getting..."
The Fractured Empire

"I don’t know where to start! The Fractured Empire by Robin D. Mahle is the first in the World Apart..."
Tin Men

"Tin Men by Amalie Jahn The story: After losing his estranged father, Charlie Johnson’s..."
Tin Men

"Would you risk your future to discover your past? What I Loved: The premise of..."
Perfectly You

"What I loved: Ivy's character is strong, driven, and even a bit inconsiderate at times. Giving her character flaws..."