Review Detail

Kids Fiction 184
gorgeous story of friendship and math
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

SOLVING FOR M is a beautiful and enthralling middle grade novel about finding your way in a new school and dealing with parental illness. Mika is starting middle school in the second pod, a group of classes and classmates designed to make middle school feel a little smaller. Her previous best friend is in the first pod, so Mika is a little nervous. Her art class also isn't covering drawing this year, which is her favorite thing.

In math class, they are asked to keep a math journal, which sounds strange at first, but it is a way for Mika to express herself and continue drawing. Math is quickly becoming her favorite class. She also finds some unlikely friends in Dee Dee, who has the seriously coolest science-themed shirts, and Chelsea, who loves school. At the same time, her mother has a suspicious mole removed and Mika worries over her and the treatments she is getting.

What I loved: I absolutely adored Mika, her friends, family support, and the representation of STEM. Math has never seemed like so much fun, and I was totally there for it! Mika is going through some big things, and I love the support she and her family had plus the way she is able to work though it, in part, with math and her math journal. This was truly beautifully well done. The book is a pleasure to read from start to finish.

Final verdict: SOLVING FOR M is an incredible middle grade novel about finding your way, loving math, and dealing with bumps in the road. Mika, her friends, family, and her math teacher were all amazingly well crafted characters. The math journal entries appearing throughout as illustrations only add to the appeal of this fantastic book. Highly recommend for anyone looking for a heartfelt and hopeful contemporary fiction.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account