Review Detail

Gently tackles the reality of the Philippine Drug War
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
My Fate According to the Butterfly is probably the first Middle Grade novel I’ve read in a very long time. I don’t even remember the last MG novel I’ve read. While I usually shy away from the category, I just knew that I couldn’t pass on any opportunity that I have to read and boost this book.

The story follows Sab, a Filipino kid who wants to be an artist like her Father. In fact, she looks up to her father a lot and gets her being superstitious from him so when a black butterfly lands on her a few days before her birthday, she believed she was going to die.

I really love the portrayal of Sab’s curiosity and innocence in the book. It was quite refreshing to see her take on things that seem mundane and trivial for me, but has totally captured her attention. The family dynamics was really interesting for me as well. See, Sab’s parents are separated, her mom and dad both have boyfriends and it was heartwarming for her to refer to them as her three dads.

I didn’t relate to Ate Nadine that much though, which was a bit sad and surprising because we’re both the eldest sibling. I just felt like she was too dismissive of Sab sometimes, which I found myself thinking “Was I that dismissive of my sisters?” Then again we see their relationship grow as we go along.

The book gently touched the reality of drug war, while also exploring the reality of a number of issues such as socioeconomic inequalities, colonial mentality, and white privilege. I love the fact that the author was able to navigate through these themes and contextualize them in the eyes of a Filipino kid without soft-pedaling their importance and meaning.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
All the Things We Do in the Dark

0.0 (0)
Sadie meets Girl in Pieces in this dark, emotional thriller...
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

0.0 (0)
Abigail has just started her second year at the Tarkana...
Fancy Nancy: Camp Fancy

0.0 (0)
Based on the Disney Junior TV show and inspired by...
Rules for Vanishing

0.0 (0)
In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history, leaving...
Harry Potter Origami

0.0 (0)
Ever wanted to fold your own Chocolate Frogs? Or play...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon will...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal revolution...
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with...
On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...
The Brightsiders

0.0 (0)
A teen rockstar has to navigate family, love, coming out,...

0.0 (0)
Could you fall in love with a robot? ...

Latest Member Reviews

The (other) F Word: A Celebration of the Fat and Fierce

"3 Reasons You Need THE OTHER F WORD on your shelves: 1.) The list of contributors: The range of..."
Rocket Man: The Mercury Adventure of John Glenn

"Not only was John Glenn the first person to orbit the Earth, a military veteran, and politician, but he was..."
Games of Deception: The True Story of the First U.S. Olympic Basketball Team at the 1936 Olympics in Hitler's Germany

" The Summer Olympics will take place again in July 2020, and all eyes will turn to Tokyo, Japan as..."
Hello, World! Moon Landing

"This charming and informative book introduces the details of the first trip to the moon in 1969. HELLO, WORLD! MOON..."
The Strange True Tale of Frankenstein's Creator Mary Shelley

"What worked: This is a fascinating insight into the life of the author of Frankenstein. The beginning paragraph, when Mary..."
Boots on the Ground: America's War in Vietnam

"The conflict in Vietnam was horrible, contentious, and defined the 1960s in many ways. In order to give an all-inclusive..."
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World

"Insightful, engaging, and downright fun! LEGO hits on all the learning styles in this brilliantly interactive science primer. ..."
Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World

"“Women and girls have been sharing things up for a long time, resisting those who would box them in.” ..."
Votes for Women!: American Suffragists and the Battle for the Ballot

"A candid, comprehensive, and thoroughly researched look at the long fight for women’s rights—spanning nearly a century of history while..."
Growing Friendships: A Kids' Guide to Making and Keeping Friends

"Utilizing plain language and a kid-friendly presentation, Growing Friendships examines and addresses a wide range of socially detrimental issues such..."
My Weird School Fast Facts: Space, Humans, and Farts

"MY WEIRD SCHOOL FAST FACTS: SPACE, HUMANS, AND FARTS makes learning more interesting and fun. Using the weird-but-true theme is..."
Project Semicolon: Your Story Isn't Over

""Stay Strong. Love endlessly. Change lives." --Amy Bleuel This suicide and mental illness awareness collection is made..."
The Ultimate Guide to Gardening (Craft It Yourself)

"Don’t let the name intimidate you—this guide is as extensive as it is accessible. The book features 111 pleasingly..."
The Infographic Guide to College: A Visual Reference for Everything You Need to Know

"As approachable as it is pragmatic, this college primer could largely double as a bite-sized approach to post high school..."
She's So Boss

"For any girl with an entrepreneurial spirit!"
The Book That Made Me

"The Book That Made Me' is an anthology by several authors that tells about a book that influenced their life...."
She's So Boss

"SHE’S SO BOSS by Stacy Kravetz is a non-fiction guide for young female entrepreneurs who are looking to start or..."
Girling Up

"What worked: Encouraging info for girls on growing up. Mayim is like that cool older sis that tells you what..."
This Is Really Happening

"I wish I could accurately put into words how much I adored This is Really Happening. I didn’t..."
A Kid's Guide To America's First Ladies

"How does a First Lady train for a job that has no job description—or even a salary? A job that..."