Review Detail

fun look around the firehouse
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

AT THE FIREHOUSE is a cute board book that explores firefighting from inside the firehouse. It is the weekend in Tinyville Town, and the firefighters are hard at work. Join Firefighter Kate as she gives Dexter a tour of the firehouse from the jobs they do when they are not fighting fires to the living quarters they have while on shift at the firehouse. At the end of the book, they are also called to respond to a fire and take the truck out of the firehouse. The book ends with them leaving along the lines of the name.

The book contains simple images that illustrate the tour that Kate is giving to Dexter. The questions back and forth allow Kate to explain the firehouse life without it being too flat. The book is relatively wordy for a board book and so would be better for toddlers who have a good attention span. The firefighters are also diverse, and I love that they had a woman firefighter leading the way!

What I loved: This is a great explanation of what happens at the firehouse and toddlers will enjoy following along on the tour with Kate and Dexter. The added sounds around the firehouse also add some fun to the story that young readers will enjoy (for instance, the beeping of the truck backing up and the oven saying the food is done- and of course, the alarm inside to let them know there is a call and the siren of the firetruck at the end). The images are simple but suit the story well with appeal for young children.

Final verdict: A great exploration of the firehouse, this board book is well suited to toddlers who are interested in learning more about firefighting and/or how things work around town. Ultimately, this is a fun read to share with young children.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...
The Brightsiders

0.0 (0)
A teen rockstar has to navigate family, love, coming out,...
IMG_4918.jpg

0.0 (0)
The black X of the Aramach Rebels marks the...
City of Beasts

0.0 (0)
"If you see a beast, and you have the...
The Grace Year

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
No one speaks of the grace year. It’s forbidden....
The Fractured Empire

0.0 (0)
The Ceithren Empire is finally at peace, but for...
The Survival List

0.0 (0)
Sloane Weber is devastated when her older sister dies...
To Kill a Kingdom

0.0 (0)
This action-packed YA debut pits a deadly siren princess and...
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into the Crooked Place begins a gritty two-book YA fantasy...
Kingdom of Souls

0.0 (0)
Magic has a price—if you’re willing to pay. The...
A Warm Friendship

0.0 (0)
"This heartwarming story deals with friendship, empathy, caring, nurturing and...
The Rift

0.0 (0)
As corporate greed is pitted against supernatural forces, two young...
Abraham Lincoln: The Making of America #3

0.0 (0)
The third installment of the Making of America series, Abraham...
Tiger Queen

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
From Annie Sullivan, author of A Touch of Gold,...

Latest Member Reviews

Abraham Lincoln: The Making of America #3

"A highly accessible biographical overview of (arguably) the most renowned and history-altering of all the United States presidents. The book..."
O Captain, My Captain: Walt Whitman, Abraham Lincoln, and the Civil War

"O CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN teaches us more about Walt Whitman's life and his time spent during the Civil War. To..."
Lincoln's Spymaster

"Reminiscent of James Swanson's Chasing Lincoln's Killer, Lincoln's Spymaster is a great addition to any young reader's shelf of..."
The Time of the Fireflies

"In The Time of the Fireflies, twelve-year-old Larissa Renaud immediately reveals her chaotic family life and her inner turmoil as..."
The Mirk and Midnight Hour

"In Strands of Bronze and Gold, Jane Nickerson took on a retelling of the old tale of Bluebeard in a..."
Jubilee!: One Man's Big, Bold, and Very, Very Loud Celebration of Peace

"On June 15, 1869, in Boston, Massachusetts, the loudest and biggest and longest concert began as a celebration of the..."
Tillie Pierce  Teen Eyewitness To The Battle of Gettysburg

"I've always been fascinated with the Civil War so I was excited to find a teen's eyewitness account of the..."
I Survived #7: I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863

"It's always great when there is historical fiction that children will read and enjoy. Years ago, there was a series..."
Riot

"Reader reviewed by Rita Lorraine Hubbard, The Original H.I.R. (Historical Investigative Reporter) RIOT, by prolific author Walter Dean Myers, breaks..."
The Brothers War: Civil War Voices in Verse

"Reader reviewed by Rita Lorraine Hubbard, The Original H.I.R. (Historical Investigative Reporter) History-lovers out there take note!..."