Review Detail

Retelling of the Original Ballad of Mulan
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

When Mulan's father receives a summoning to join the emperor's army, Mulan knows he's too old to make it through the war. She insists to go in his place because she is a strong and able woman. Reluctantly, her family agrees so Mulan disguises herself as her father to join the other men in the army.

During the war, Mulan spends years and years rising up in the ranks and leads many men to victory. She does all of this hiding the truth about being a woman and she doesn't falter because she is strong and able. When everything is over, she doesn't want a place in the high court. Instead, she just wants to return to her family that she's missed dearly and they welcome her with open arms.

MULAN: THE LEGEND OF THE WOMAN WARRIOR is a retelling of the original ballad of Mulan. It's different from the Disney movie we're used to which I love. Instead of sneaking out, her parents know she joins the war. The illustrations are stunning and I enjoyed this retelling of Mulan. I also love how the men's reactions after they find out she's a woman after the war is over.

Final Verdict: I recommend this story to fans of Asian culture, legends, and strong women.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account