Review Detail

engaging story about being different
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
PROFESSOR RENOIR'S COLLECTION OF ODDITIES, CURIOSITIES, AND DELIGHTS primarily follows Babe, a fourteen-year-old girl who has gigantism. She already stands at nearing 7' tall and towers over everyone around her. She was not taught well, as she was kicked out of school when she was younger, and her father shows little to no interest in her. She sleeps in the barn, and she is happy with that as she loves animals and brings strays in to help them heal.

When Professor Renoir comes to town to see about purchasing her services, her father is all too happy to let her go, as long as he gets a good sum of money. Babe is willing to go and curious to find others who are different like her. On the circuit, she learns that the group is suffering financially, and another act has recently been purchased- a girl her age with dwarfism and a dwarf elephant. Her encounters with the girl, Carlotta (Lotty), have not gone well so far.

Babe finds solace in the friendship of the fortune teller, Madame de la Rosa, and in the aging animals in the group, a chimpanzee and a bear. However, with the group's finances being so bad, Renoir wants to kill the animals and stuff them. To prevent this from happening, Babe will team up with Carlotta.

What I loved: Babe's perspectives on the carnival are unique and provide new insight into the lives of the people and animals involved. The characters and the story really come to life in this book, with Babe feeling very real and three-dimensional, and even the other people capturing hearts and imaginations through their interactions with her (particularly Madame de la Rosa). There's a very clear villain here, and this seems common in this type of group, revealing important messages about the treatment/abuse of animals. There are also some great themes revealed through the interactions between Babe and Lotty with first impressions, appearances, and working together.

Final verdict: Fans of historical fiction and WATER FOR ELEPHANTS will delight in this enthralling book about a very tall girl and her journey through the carnival circuit. Babe is a fantastic and relatable character that shines through this story.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Discovering the Underground with Snow White (Fairytale Encyclopedia)

0.0 (0)
There are not only dwarves in the underground. This hidden...
Rock by Rock: The Fantastical Garden of Nek Chand

0.0 (0)
This luminous picture book tells the fascinating true story of...
Bisa's Carnaval

0.0 (0)
Discover the sights and sounds of Brazil through the eyes...
Redemptor (Raybearer, #2)

0.0 (0)
The highly anticipated sequel to Raybearer, the instant New York...
Dark and Shallow Lies

0.0 (0)
A teen girl disappears from her small town deep in...
Imposters

5.0 (1)
Frey and Rafi are inseparable . . . but very...
Better Than the Movies

5.0 (1)
Liz Buxbaum has always known that Wes Bennett was not...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

5.0 (1)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Count to LOVE! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book)

5.0 (1)
Cuddle up with your little one and get ready to...
The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
THE MYSTERY OF THE MEANEST TEACHER: A JOHNNY CONSTANTINE GRAPHIC...

0.0 (0)
A shocking thriller about a group of friends who go...
Bird Boy

0.0 (0)
Take flight in this heartwarming story about a boy who...
Love You By Heart

0.0 (0)
Acclaimed creator of The Word Collector, Happy Dreamer, Say Something,...
Fa-La-La Llama (Touch-and-Feel Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Get ready to deck the halls with these joyful, singing,...
The Oddmire, Book 3: Deepest, Darkest

0.0 (0)
The third adventure in the beloved fantasy series full of...
The Oddmire, Book 2: The Unready Queen

0.0 (0)
Human-raised brothers Tinn and Cole join forces with Fable, daughter...

Latest Member Reviews

Our Way Back to Always

S Santana
"i am giving this testimony cos l am happy My name is Mrs. Santana Valdez from Houston,taxes.i never believed in..."
Better Than the Movies

S Santana
"i am giving this testimony cos l am happy My name is Mrs. Santana Valdez from Houston,taxes.i never believed in..."
Better Than the Movies

"BETTER THAN THE MOVIES by Lynn Painter is just about the cutest YA Rom-Com to ever exist. The story follows..."
Our Way Back to Always

"OUR WAY BACK TO ALWAYS is a beautiful YA contemporary romance about two best friends, Sam and Lou. After a..."
Fresh

"FRESH is an entertaining and thought-provoking coming-of-age story. Elliott is a middle child, heading to college far from home at..."
Revenge of the Red Club

"Riley is an investigative reporter for her very realistic and small school newspaper. She loves to write and wants to..."
Chasing Lucky

"Josie Saint-Martin and her mother have lived an itinerant lifestyle ever since they left the small Rhode Island seaside town..."
On the Way to Birdland

"Reviewed By Vincent Dublado for Readers’ Favorite A touching coming of age novel by Frank Morelli, On..."
Coming Up for Air

"COMING UP FOR AIR is an intense and heart-wrenching YA contemporary with some heavy themes. The book is told between..."
Victor and Nora: A Gotham Love Story

"VICTOR AND NORA is a romance graphic novel that will make you both smile and cry. The death of Victor's..."
Fat Chance, Charlie Vega

"FAT CHANCE, CHARLIE VEGA is a powerful, genuine, and heartfelt YA contemporary read about the ways we define ourselves, friendship,..."
Teen Titans: Beast Boy

"I am seriously loving this Teen Titans series so much. Watching the show growing up, it means a lot to..."
How It All Blew Up

"Amir is an Iranian American teenager who is gay and in the closet. When another student blackmails him about his..."
We Are Lost and Found

"WE ARE LOST AND FOUND is a profound historical fiction read that takes place in the early 1980s NYC. Michael..."
How It All Blew Up

"HOW IT ALL BLEW UP is an absolutely riveting coming-out story. Amir Azadi is an Iranian American who has always..."
The Black Kids

"THE BLACK KIDS is a really poignant read that ties history to the present. Ashley is a senior in high..."
Permanent Record

"In many ways, Permanent Record confused me, irritated me at times, maybe even angered me a little, but eventually wowed..."
Goodbye from Nowhere

"Kyle Baker loves the times he visits his extended family at the family farm. He brings his girlfriend Nadia with..."
Just a Boy and a Girl in a Little Canoe

"JUST A BOY AND A GIRL IN A LITTLE CANOE is a YA contemporary fiction that is primarily about character..."
The Everything I Have Lost

"At age twelve, Julia starts writing in a diary. She writes about what she witnesses in her town of Juarez,..."