Review Detail

Kids Fiction 337
A Story About Grief and Loss
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

All Dragon wants is a friend, but doesn't have any luck. The squirrel is too busy, the hippo is too tired, and the crocodile is too grouchy. As he's sitting under a tree, an apple falls and hits him on the head. The snake decides to play a trick on Dragon and makes him believe the apple can talk. Dragon has finally found a friend.

At home, the apple won't talk. Dragon becomes worried when he can't wake him, so he brings him to the doctor. Here, the apple is eaten and turns brown and mushy. Dragon becomes sad because he believes his friend has died.

A FRIEND FOR DRAGON is a story about death and grieving. It a rare children's story with a full plot that will touch a child's heart. Even though we know the apple isn't a person, Dragon believes it is and that it's his first friend. As time passes after he loses the apple, he feels less and less sad. This book teaches that grieving is temporary and happiness will return. It's a sensitive topic and this book makes it easier to address. It puts things into a child's perspective.

Final verdict: I would recommend this book to children who are going through a hard time after losing a loved one. It's also good for fans of dragons and stories about friendship.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...
Wild River

0.0 (0)
Daniel Redmayne is fast asleep on the first night of...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my...

0.0 (0)
3 nights, 2 days, and 1 massive music fest ....
The Afterlife of the Party (Afterlife, #1)

0.0 (0)
I didn’t even want to go to the party. ...

0.0 (0)
Tianna Morgan and her friends run Cadie Mae High. Great...
The Alcazar (The Cerulean, #2)

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author Amy Ewing comes the...
Tears of Frost (Heart of Thorns, #2)

0.0 (0)
This captivating second book in Bree Barton’s Heart of...
The Broken Raven (Shadow Skye, #2)

0.0 (0)
In the heart-pounding second book in the Shadow Skye...
You Have a Match

0.0 (0)
From the beloved author of Tweet Cute comes Emma...

Latest Member Reviews

Pete the Cat's Family Road Trip

"'Pete the Cat's Family Road Trip' by Kimberly & James Dean is yet another well-conceived addition to the 'Pete the..."
Ty's Travels: All Aboard!

"'Ty's Travels: All Aboard!' by Kelly Starling Lyons, pictures by Nina Mata, is an adorable story of Ty and his..."
Little Penguin's New Friend

"'Little Penguin's New Friend' by Tadgh Bentley is a cute story about the making of a friendship despite misconceptions about..."
Time Jumpers: Escape from Egypt

"Time Jumpers: Escape from Egypt offers lengthier chapter book reading, while still offering delightful illustrations more familiar to young readers..."
Beat Bugs: In My Life (I Can Read Level 1)

"Illustrated with stills from the television program with light colored font, children will enjoy identifying the characters they know from..."
My Weird School: Teamwork Trouble (I Can Read Level 2)

"This level two I Can Read book follows the exploits of Ryan, who loves all sports! He is on a..."

"In this very early chapter book, Selznick fuses his trademark cross hatched pencil sketches with addictively repetitive picture book text..."
Two's a Crowd (Pug Pals #1)

"Sunny is an older pug who has a comfortable life with her human and her stuffed animals. When Rosy, a..."
King and Kayla and the Case of the Mysterious Mouse (King and Kayla #3)

"Kayla and King are having a good time playing with Thor and Jillian, throwing King's blue ball back and forth...."
Ruby and the Magic Garden (Fairy Hill #1)

"Luna, Ruby and May are young fairies who live in Fairy Hill. They are learning magic and hope to get..."
King & Kayla and the Case of the Secret Code (King and Kayla #2)

"Kayla and her friend Mason both get mysterious letters dropped off on their porches. King can figure out right away..."
King & Kayla and the Case of the Missing Dog Treats (King and Kayla #1)

"King loves his human girl, Kayla, especially when she makes him peanut butter dog treats, his FAVORITE food! He sits..."
Little Shaq Takes a Chance

"Little Shaq is not at all excited about the upcoming school art fair because he doesn't feel that he is..."
Flat Stanley on Ice

"Jeff Brown's favorite traveling character is back at home with this easy to read tale. Stanley and his younger brother,..."