Review Detail

Kids Fiction 166
Foster care, adventure, and being a big sister.
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Neveah has been in the foster care system her whole life, and has seen less than optimal placements. That's why she's glad to be with Mrs. K. The house is fairly organized, there is always food, and no one is mean to her. Mrs. K., however, has struggled since the death of her husband and is not very interested in being involved with the children, so a lot of the care of the younger Mara and Vic falls on her shoulders. She's okay with that-- if she can help Mrs. K. out, her place is secure, and she can make it through the four years of high school and get into college on a scholarship for foster children and become a doctor. When a new child, Quentin, is added to the mix, things start to get complicated. It's difficult enough that Vic deals with his grief by pretending to be a spy, and that Mara rarely speaks, and is more fluent in Spanish, but Quentin is on the autism spectrum and has a lot of different behavioral issues than Neveah has seen. When Vic promises Quentin that they will go find his mother, who is ill and in the hospital, Neveah panics when all three younger children are gone, and follows their trail from Echo Park to Torrance, California (about twenty miles) on a variety of buses and trains. She catches up with them eventually, but the trip in general does not go smoothly. The children find out some secrets, narrowly escape tragedy, and bond in a way that makes them more of a family. They also finally get through to Mrs. K., who realizes that she must move beyond her own difficulties to care for the children.
Good Points
I love Neveah's attitude about life! Things are great, but they could be worse, and if she works hard enough, things will get better! I wish more middle grade characters embraced this philosophy! Vic's spy interests seem a bit quirky, but are well described, Mara's silence is understandable, and Quention's depiction is realistic for a child on the spectrum with few life experiences. Their adventure to Torrance is also portrayed realistically, with enough challenges to make it interesting, but with no horrible consequences. I enjoyed this one a lot.

There are many different types of experience in foster care, and it's good to have a variety of books like Linda Mullaly Hunt's One for the Murphy's, Galante's Strays Like Us, and Lewis' Scarlet Ibis. There were portions of this that seemed odd to me (Nevaeh describes the people who foster children as either very religious, in it for the money, or old, and she describes a placement where children were forced to make dog beds after school each day before being fed. I'm sure there are horrible foster parents out there, and since Hennessy works with children in foster care in LA, so I will assume she knows more about children in the program than I do. In reality, there are probably some foster care situations that are even worse than the ones Nevaeh mentions.

This book will circulate with readers who like problem novels. This author's other book, The Other Boy does well, and I'm looking forward to seeing what book is next!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)

0.0 (0)
One week after their eleventh birthday, the Fowl twins--scientist Myles,...
Kai and the Monkey King (Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #3)

0.0 (0)
When Kai grows tired of her bookish mum not being...
Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
All the Things We Do in the Dark

0.0 (0)
Sadie meets Girl in Pieces in this dark, emotional thriller...
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

0.0 (0)
Abigail has just started her second year at the Tarkana...
Fancy Nancy: Camp Fancy

0.0 (0)
Based on the Disney Junior TV show and inspired by...
Rules for Vanishing

0.0 (0)
In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history, leaving...
Harry Potter Origami

0.0 (0)
Ever wanted to fold your own Chocolate Frogs? Or play...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon will...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal revolution...
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with...
On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...

Latest Member Reviews

Bear's Springtime Book of Hidden Things

"Winter is over and Bear is ready to have some springtime fun. First, Bear has to gather everything he needs,..."
Hidden Creatures: Scratch Magic

"HIDDEN CREATURES: SCRATCH MAGIC contains pages with black on them. Some have the whole page and others have designs for..."
Ultimate Sticker Collection: DC Comics Wonder Woman (Ultimate Sticker Collections)

"A charming gift idea for young Wonder Woman fans, with plenty of additional DC universe appeal. This Wonder Woman..."
Laugh-Out-Loud Ultimate Jokes for Kids: 2-in-1 Collection of Awesome Jokes and Road Trip Jokes

"This durable hardback presents a sizable collection of perfectly clean kid’s jokes. There are anywhere from 3-6 jokes per page..."
Laugh-Out-Loud Road Trip Jokes for Kids

"A well-arranged, highly portable collection of kid-friendly jokes. This little paperback book of road trip ready humor is 128..."
Where's Waldo? 30th Anniversary Edition

"Where's Waldo is an iconic search and find activity book that has been entertaining people for 30 years. This 30th..."
Grocery Games! (Shopkins Jumbo Sticker Activity Book)

"For fans of the Shopkins phenomenon, this product has a lot going for it. Vibrant, cheerful, and devastatingly cutsie...."
Use The Force! (LEGO Star Wars: Activity Book)

"Once again LEGO and Star Wars team up to bring young fans a stellar activity book experience. Centering around..."
Big Nate: Doodlepalooza

"Obviously, activity books are not something that I purchase for my library, and they are hard to review, but this..."
LEGO Elves: Dragon Adventures

"An enchantingly vibrant storybook combined with a range of arts and activities. Emily Jones is called out of..."
Attack of the Sky Pirates (LEGO Ninjago: Activity Book with Minifigure)

"Ninjas and Pirates and Djinns… oh my! This 32 page comics and activities book is an engaging cross between..."
LEGO: Nexo Power Rules (LEGO Nexo Knights)

"A techno-magical good time! This 32 page comics and activities book is the perfect cross between an educational magazine..."
Mr. Hare's Big Secret

"Mr. Hare is hungry, and he is sitting under a cherry tree full of ripe fruit, but he has a..."
The Captain Underpants Super-Silly Sticker Studio

"This book is a HUGE hit in my household. My boys love The Captain Underpants series of books, so..."
Where's Waldo Now? The 25th Anniversary Edition

"At this point, I consider myself a Waldo expert. I have found him in almost every adventure, along with his..."
Where's Waldo? The Totally Essential Travel Collection

"This is by far my favorite Waldo edition! All seven books are bound in this travel sized book, perfect for..."
Magical Mix-ups: Friends and Fashion

"I would've loved this book as a child! Not only is it a story involving princesses, castles, witches, and toads,..."
Where's Waldo Now? The 25th Anniversary Edition

"For the Where's Waldo lover in your life, this Deluxe 25th Anniversary Edition may be the perfect gift. Waldo and..."
Where's Waldo? Santa Spectacular

"I would have had hours of fun as a child if I had this Where's Waldo activity book. There are..."
Chet the Architect: Learn to Draw New York City's Museum Mile

JenJen
"This is a fun book for kids to learn about NYC architecture, landmarks, and the history behind them all while..."