Review Detail

Snowbound with Tom
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

When Marcus Meldrew gets a Star Pupil Badge, Tom decides that he will try to mend his ways and earn one himself, since students sporting the badge get preferential treatment from teachers. This gets off to a rocky start, since Tom rarely has his textbook or extra papers, and he has a tendency to doodle unflattering pictures of Mr. Fullerman. That's okay; winter is closing in, and soon school is canceled. Tom looks forward to spending time at home, locating his mother's secret stashes of chocolate covered raisins, but his uncle, aunt and cousins descend to plan The Fossil's fiftieth wedding anniversary party and end up staying because their heat is out. The posh family isn't keen on roughing it, although Tom notices that his cousins don't turn up their nose at the snacks provided! At least the family has time to plan an epic anniversary party and gift, and grandma gets the opportunity to knit lots of wooly garments to mail to the family. There's some snow sculpting and outside activity, some DogZombie band practice, and as always, caramel wafers and grandma's sketchy cooking!
Good Points
I have always been a sucker for a book with a good snowstorm, from Haywood's Snowbound with Betsy (1963) to Kinney's Cabin Fever (2010). While I am not impressed with the British snowfall (it seems like just a couple of inches knocks out power supplies; it's not the three feet of snow that, say, Buffalo, New York is apt to get), the resultant family togetherness is just as much fun.

Of all the characters, I think that Granny Mavis is my favorite. Her sundae-inspired sweaters, complete with cherries atop the hats, are beyond awesome, and her peaches and pasta and cornflakes and chicken are the sort of quirky, passive-aggressive subterfuge that should get one excused from all further cooking duties! Give me a souped up golf cart to drive back and forth from the Leafy Green Old Folks Home, and I'd be glad to party with The Fossils as well!

Tom would be a good companion to Peirce's Big Nate; they are both well meaning but misguided boys with a boundless enthusiasm for what they hold dear. These notebook novels are the homemade apple pie with whole wheat crust of children's literature; books that are sweet and satisfying while still being nutritious enough to be served occasionally, even for breakfast.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Lady Rogue

0.0 (0)
The Last Magician meets A Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and...
A Very Pikmi Halloween (Pikmi Pops)

0.0 (0)
Pikmi Pops(TM) are the latest collectible craze! Join these cute...
Apocalypse Taco

0.0 (0)
Sid, Axl, and Ivan volunteer to make a late-night fast-food...
The Owls Have Come to Take Us Away

0.0 (0)
In this delightfully creepy novel from Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe...
Voyages in the Underworld of Orpheus Black

0.0 (0)
Harry Black is lost between the world of war and...
Awesome Achievers in Technology: Super and Strange Facts about 12 Almost Famous History Makers

0.0 (0)
Part of a super fun middle grade series, Awesome Achievers...
Kitty and the Moonlight Rescue

0.0 (0)
Girl by day. Cat by night. Ready for an adventure....

0.0 (0)
A strong educational foundation helps ensure a child is able...

0.0 (0)

0.0 (0)

0.0 (0)
The first I Can Read! book featuring beloved picture book...

0.0 (0)
In a beautiful anthology, ten children’s book greats share stories,...
Firebrand: The Initiation of Natali Presano (Firebrand, #1)

0.0 (0)
First time in print! The...

0.0 (0)
Sage Sassafras’s life is cursed! No, really. Since birth, Sage...
Naked Mole Rat Saves the World

0.0 (0)
Can Kit’s super-weird superpower save her world? ...
The Brokenhearted

0.0 (0)
teenage girl is transformed into a reluctant superhero and...

Latest Member Reviews

Pet Sematary

"Reader reviewed by Vince The protagonist of the story is Louis he is a round character and a Dynamic character...."
Pet Sematary

"Reader reviewed by MissManderz My mother was completely freaked out by this book and the movie and I had to..."
Carrie

"Reader reviewed by MissManderz I am a huge fan of Stephen King and I must say that this is one..."
It
It

"Reader reviewed by MissManderz From the very moment I had picked up this book i was scared. Having seen the..."
Misery

"Reader reviewed by Ben D.  Steven King has outdone himself with the fantastic suspensful and horrific story Misery. Misery is..."
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

"Reader reviewed by Mairi This book is, essentially, Stephen King's memoir, but, as the title suggests, it focuses on writing,..."
Cell

"Reader reviewed by Amanda This was a great scary book.  It wasn't as scary as some of Steven Kings usually..."
Pet Sematary

"Reader reviewed by Amanda If you buried your pet and it came back to life, what would you do..."
Misery

"Reader reviewed by Amanda This is a good book. It's about a writer who has a crazed fan. She..."
Misery

"Reader reviewed by Milanna Royster Misey was a great book by Stephen King. It all starts with a famous author..."
Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower #4)

"Reader reviewed by melissa velez First let me state that I find/found every book in the series to be superb...."
Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower #4)

"Reader reviewed by Dede This starts up with Eddie, Jake, Susannah and Roland still riddling with Blaine. It's interesting..."
The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower #3)Lands

"Reader reviewed by dede In this book, we still hear and learn a little about Eddie, Susannah and Roland's past...."
The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower #2)

"Reader reviewed by Dede This one takes up where "The Gunslinger" left off and although I liked the first book,..."
The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower #1)

"Reader reviewed by Dede This book is about Roland, the gunslinger, and his quest to catch the man in black...."
Pet Sematary

"Reader reviewed by Laura The Creed family move to a new house in Maine, close to a busy road. When..."
Cell

"Reader reviewed by Laura The hook may be the best I've seen for a horror story in a while: A..."

"Reader reviewed by Noah Potash This is the second book in Stephen King's popular series, The Dark Tower, which details..."
It
It

"Reader reviewed by Chuck Norris This is a great book. ..."
It
It

"Reader reviewed by vicky A book to scare anybody. The residents of Derry are trying to forget what happened..."