Review Detail

Kids Fiction 309
Adventures of Monsieur Lapin
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Emma's father is a game warden, and when she accompanies him on a rabbit rescue, she falls in love with the adorable honey colored rabbit they find. It's not a wild rabbit, and the local shelter has not had anyone searching for an animal that matches the description, so Emma keeps Lapi. The name is short for Monsieur Lapin, the name of a character in stories that her grandfather had told her. Emma has always been homeschooled, but is starting public school for the first time. Her older brother has enjoyed it, but Emma isn't keen on the idea of not having free time after her lessons and having to deal with trying to make friends. She approaches school with the right mind set-- try to fit in, be friendly and nice, approach people cautiously-- but her attempts aren't too successful. She tries to get her project group to come to her house, but the two girls she would really like to befriend don't come. Jack does. Jack is on the autism spectrum, so has some moments when he is difficult for Emma to work with, and he does not help her social standing. They work well, together, however, and Jack even tries to get over his fear of animals in order to pet Lapi. Emma hopes that if she can take Lapi to school for her project, the girls in her class will warm to her, but Lapi might have owners that could claim him. Emma manages to figure out school and eventually feels more comfortable there.
Good Points
Readers who care deeply about animals and enjoyed books like Alan Woodrow's Pet Wars, Ellen Miles' The Puppy Place Books or Jones' Unusual chickens for the exceptional poultry farmer will be drawn to this sensitive story that involves lots of different issues. There are lots of group projects assigned in schools, and not everyone enjoys them, so reading about them can be a good way for students to cope.

Emma's struggles are very realistic and dear to the heart of middle grade readers, who like problem novels that make them feel like their own life is easier. Lord has a good feel for just the right level of problem, and Emma solves her difficulties in constructive ways.

Lord uses her own personal background to good effect in this latest book. Her son is on the autism spectrum, she homeschooled her children, and the family fostered rabbits. She consulted with her daughter about the difficulties she faced when entering public school, so this is very effective.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Super Puzzletastic Mysteries: Short Stories for Young Sleuths from Mystery Writers of America

0.0 (0)
Bestselling author Chris Grabenstein and the Mystery Writers of America...
Beauty Mark: A Verse Novel of Marilyn Monroe

0.0 (0)
In a powerful novel in verse, an award-winning author offers...

0.0 (0)
Anger, hurt, and rejection threaten Joshua’s ability to save the...

0.0 (0)
Bernita, a teenager from a prominent South American family, knows...

0.0 (0)
How do you fix a computer glitch that disappears before...
Hope in the Mail: Reflections on Writing and Life

0.0 (0)
Part writing guide and part memoir, this inspiring book from...
Daniela and the Pirate Girls

0.0 (0)
Who hasn’t heard of the legendary vessel, the Black Croc!...
Child of Galaxies

0.0 (0)
Your body was made from the stuff of the stars,...
Shy Ones

0.0 (0)
He's not the type to stand out. In fact, unless...
You Brought Me the Ocean

0.0 (0)
The voices that shaped LGBTQ Young Adult literature, Lambda Award-Winning...
The Most Dangerous Place on Earth

0.0 (0)
In an idyllic community of wealthy California families, new teacher...
Slamdown Town

0.0 (0)
Ollie and his older brother, Hollis, have wrestling in their...
The Speed of Starlight: An Exploration of Physics, Sound, Light, and Space

0.0 (0)
A contemporary exploration of physics, light, and sound told through...
1,000 Facts About Ancient Egypt

0.0 (0)
Mummies, pyramids, pharaohs, King Tut! Kids everywhere are fascinated by...
Pumpkinheads

0.0 (0)
Deja and Josiah are seasonal best friends. ...
Ragweed and Poppy

0.0 (0)
The first new book about Poppy in more than ten...

Latest Member Reviews

The Sullivan Sisters

"Eileen, Claire, and Murphy Sullivan used to be close. They had their special traditions, their shared laughs, and their shared..."
Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation (Charlie Thorne #1)

"Charlie is a twelve year old intellectual prodigy who has uncaring, manipulative parents whom she has escaped by enrolling in..."
Masters of Mischief (The Misadventures of Max Crumbly #3)

"When we last saw Max and Erin, they had just thwarted three inept burglars and were headed for a garbage..."
Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)

"SHATTER THE SKY follows, Maren, who has been raised in a small mountain town. She and her girlfriend, Kaia, have..."
To All The Boys I've Loved Before

"This is one of the very few times I will ever say this but here we go.... I preferred the..."
Dry
Dry

"It is a true testament to the authors’ skill that I was literally parched while reading this book. Readers will..."
Fake Blood

"WHAT I LOVED: AJ is your average kid and doesn’t have anything exciting going on in his life, but he’s..."
The Diabolic (The Diabolic #1)

""The Diabolic" is a unique YA dystopian book. In this future, humans have advanced scientifically and technologically, traveling through space..."
Children of Refuge

"CHILDREN OF REFUGE is the second in a series by Margaret Peterson Haddix in which the main characters, Rosi and..."
Children of Exile

"Rosi is twelve-years-old and she and the other children of Fredtown were taken from an unsafe situation with their birth..."
Fly Girls: The Forgotten Women Airforce Service Pilots of WWII

"While WWI used planes, the technology and use really took off during WWII. It's hard for people today to understand..."
The Rules of Magic

"Franny and Bridget (Jet) along with their brother Vincent are part of the legendary Owen family of witches. Settling in..."
Right Where You Left Me

"Calla Devlin’s sophomore novel offers a look into what happens to those left behind after disaster. The story..."
Karma Khullar's Mustache

"WHAT I LOVED: Karma and the rest of the cast are flawed, well-drawn characters all too much like the soulless..."
Right Where You Left Me

"Right Where You Left Me’ is the story of Charlotte. Her mother is a Russian immigrate who works in the..."
Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1)

"I love this book, I even think it’s my favorite Shadowhunter book of them all! (Which is really saying a..."
Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2)

"This book was amazing! So amazing! And so heart-breaking. I’m a mess, I need the third book NOW! The..."
Autoboyography

"Do you have tissues? No? Then put this book down and get some, you are going to need them! This..."
Three Day Summer

"August 15-18 is the anniversary of Woodstock music festival! and i relived that time by reading this book! i make..."
First We Were IV

"Remind me again to never read YA Thrillers at night. First We Were IV is a book that has haunted..."