Review Detail

Kids Fiction 1005
approachable contemporary middle grade
(Updated: April 23, 2019)
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
TBH, TOO MUCH DRAMA is a short book that primarily takes place over texts, but also has some emails, essays, journal articles, and passed notes. The core BFFs, Cece, Gabby, and Prianka are excited for the end of their middle school year. They are also carrying their worries in their group messages. Mainly, they are nervous about turning in their school computers which may have some personal data, bra shopping with their mothers, and memes they created that have gone viral and hurt the people they referred to. Some of the girls are also dealing with crushes- and one with something more challenging- her crush is on another girl.

What I loved: The fun format moves quickly and readers can quickly engage with the unique style of the book. With the plotlines included, this is a great and thought-provoking book for the middle grade audience. For instance, when we do things we think are funny (like memes), do we consider the consequences? It also shows how easily/quickly something like that can go viral. There’s also some good diversity amongst the girls who are budding into adolescence, and this also carries some helpful messages for preteens.

What left me wanting more: The challenge in reading this book is that a lot of it is in emojis and textspeak (abbreviations). While I knew most of them, there were a couple that had me flipping to the key at the end, which breaks up the flow of the book. This is a minor thing, as I assume the middle grade audience will know all of these even more quickly than I did.

Final verdict: This fast middle grade read is perfect for young audiences who will relate to the problems of the best friends and give pause as to what we put out there in the virtual world. With some other great themes (LGBT, personal reflections), this book speaks to middle grade readers in a highly approachable way. Great for people looking for unique formats and fun contemporary fiction.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

All the Tides of Fate (All the Stars and Teeth, #2)

0.0 (0)
The thrilling sequel to instant New York Times bestseller All...

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of the Selection series by Kiera Cass....
The Dog Patrol: Our Canine Companions and the Kids Who Protect Them

0.0 (0)
In a full-color dog book unlike any other, acclaimed children’s...
Watch Over Me

0.0 (0)
Mila is used to being alone. ...
The Safekeeper

0.0 (0)
Her job is to keep their secrets safe. ...
City of the Plague God

0.0 (0)
Best-selling author Rick Riordan presents CITY OF THE PLAGUE GOD,...
The Shadow War

0.0 (0)
Inglourious Basterds meets Stranger Things in this dark and thrilling...
The Valley and the Flood

0.0 (0)
Rose Colter is almost home, but she can't go back...
Don't Tell A Soul

0.0 (0)
Stay up all night with this modern day Rebecca! Perfect...
58 Farm End

0.0 (0)
58 Farm End: a twisted romantic crime thriller series (Book...
The Connection

0.0 (0)
Beatrice Walker thought she lived in a normal world—that is...
Crying is Like the Rain: A Story of Mindfulness and Feelings

0.0 (0)
A gentle metaphor for understanding and processing anxiety and sadness....
The Brass Queen

0.0 (0)
She knows a liar when she sees one. ...
The Final Chance

0.0 (0)
Friends no matter what. At least that's what Beth Ann...
Wylder and the Almost Rockstar

0.0 (0)
How much trouble does it take to forget the boy...
Wylder and the Secret Rockstar

0.0 (0)
How much trouble does it take to forget your summer...

Latest Member Reviews

Kingdom of Sea and Stone (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #2)

"KINGDOM OF SEA AND STONE continues an engaging YA fantasy series with another book about sisterhood, magic, and political power...."
The Code for Love and Heartbreak

"The Code for Love and Heartbreak by Jillian Cantor is a witty, contemporary take on Jane Austen’s classic Emma. It’s..."
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

"THE GLASS QUEEN is an intense and fantastically written fairytale retelling of Cinderella. In the kingdom of Enchantia, fairytales are..."
The Library of Lost Things

"I wasn't sure what to expect with The Library of Lost Things, but I know I didn't anticipate a book..."
Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)

"RAGE AND RUIN is a fantastic sequel in THE HARBINGER series. Picking up where the first book left off, we..."
The Sound of Stars

"THE SOUND OF STARS takes place after the Earth has been invaded and overtaken by the Ilori. The book follows..."
Every Other Weekend

"EVERY OTHER WEEKEND is a compulsively good YA contemporary that deals with some heavy topics. We follow Jolene and Adam..."
A Love Hate Thing

"The story: Tyson Trice has not had it easy in life. Months after he is shot and almost dies he’s..."
The Library of Lost Things

"THE LIBRARY OF LOST THINGS is a lovely coming-of-age story with love messages to literature. Darcy Wells lives with her..."
The Speed of Falling Objects

"THE SPEED OF FALLING OBJECTS begins with a bang- Danny has been in a plane crash and is lost in..."
Crown of Coral and Pearl

"CROWN OF CORAL AND PEARL Is a story of sisters, adventure, and change. Nor and Zadie, whose names mean coral..."
The Evil Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #1)

"If you love a snarky heroine, surprise twists and turns, and a fairytale-themed plot, THE EVIL QUEEN is designed to..."
The Voice in my Head

"THE VOICE IN MY HEAD begins with Indigo standing on a building, praying to God for her sister to live..."
Storm and Fury

"With Armentrout’s characteristic snark and swoony romance, STORM AND FURY will not disappoint fans who have been eagerly awaiting this..."
Storm and Fury

"Trinity has never been allowed to leave her home compound because of her secret. Here, she has friends, a protector,..."
Belly Up

"When Serendipity "Sara" Rodriguez sees her ex with his new girlfriend, she finds herself eager and ready to have fun..."
Corpse & Crown (Cadaver & Queen, #2)

"Adding in the characters of Oliver Twist to the unique world of Bio-mechanicals created in the first book, this stand-alone..."