Review Detail

Best dog series EVER!
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Sassy and Waldo still love going to school (What? You haven't read Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go To School? GO DO THAT RIGHT NOW!) in order to make sure that their boy, Stewart, is safe. Of course, they also enjoy lunch (Meat! Cheese! Meat WITH cheese!) and doing homework, and everyone is completely convinced that they are a student named Salty from Liver, Ohio. When Stewart starts attending the Junior Office Supply Enthusiasts Club after school, Sassy and Waldo are willing to give up their naps while they wait for him, especially since they think a club is a sandwich, and sandwiches are always a good idea. They hang out in the gymnatorium (which goes by several different names!), run in circles, and attract the attention of other children who want to be in a club. Snacks are, of course, the most important thing, but when they find out that the other clubs are making floats (not root beer ones, unfortunately) for the Founders Day celebration, they start putting theirs together, complete with Food Launcher. The parade has some rough edges, but it does bring Arden and her a foster dog, Jeff, closer together. I'm definitely looking forward to Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go on a Class Trip, which comes out 28 May 2019!
Good Points
Oh, my. This made me laugh so much! If it's not squirrels being dislodged from trees with tennis balls, it's the Office Supply Club doing interpretive dance with sticky notes, or "pepperoni hot dog fun" , which sounds like the best reason for a club EVER!. Sassy and Waldo have very distinct voices that sound exactly what my dog would sound like if she could talk. (Because she doesn't. Nor does she ever text my daughters using my phone.) The pictures add another layer of hilarity-- read this one when no one else is around with plenty of tissues of handy to wipe away the tears of laughter!

My only concern: Should we be concerned that the dogs are in the school food cooler gnawing through the plastic on "hunks of cheese the size of a Yorkshire Terrier"? Nyah.

My favorite thing to do with these is to hand them to stressed 8th graders. It always makes them smile. These are SO hysterically funny. If you have readers who are fans of Peirce's Big Nate or Kinney's Wimpy Kid, let me tell you a secret. Two Dogs and a Trench Coat are much, much funnier. Here's to tiny carrots wrapped in bacon!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Jolina can't take Claudine's bullying any longer! The taunts and...
Leaving England

0.0 (0)
Sometime around now an unnamed virus has laid London and...
The Dead and the Dark

0.0 (0)
Courtney Gould’s thrilling YA debut The Dead and the Dark...
The Great Destroyers

0.0 (0)
Blood, sweat, and death. Welcome...
Fresh

0.0 (0)
A hilarious and vulnerable coming-of-age story about the thrilling new...
Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this thrilling adventure, our magical heroine embarks on a...
Bluebird

0.0 (0)
In 1946, Eva leaves behind the rubble of Berlin for...
Merci Suárez Can't Dance

0.0 (0)
Seventh grade is going to be a real trial...
When You Know What I Know

0.0 (0)
This harrowing, and ultimately hopeful novel in verse sensitively...
Between Perfect and Real

0.0 (0)
A moving YA debut about a trans boy finding...
The Cost of Knowing

0.0 (0)
Dear Martin meets They Both Die at the End...
Gold Spun

0.0 (0)
If Nor can't spin gold, she can always spin...

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Dayna Walsh is struggling to cope with her somatic...
Small Favors

0.0 (0)
Ellerie Downing is waiting for something to happen. Life...
If You Go Down to the Woods Today (Brown Bear Wood)

0.0 (0)
Journey through a magical woodland, with poems to read and...
Bunny Will Not Jump!: Ready-to-Read Level 1

0.0 (0)
From the endless imagination of Jason Tharp comes a hilarious...

Latest Member Reviews

"Jolina and her family have moved from Manila to the small island of Isla Pag-Ibig. After the death of her..."
The Dead and the Dark

"THE DEAD AND THE DARK is a deliciously creepy paranormal thriller/horror. Logan lives with her two fathers, who co-host a..."
Fearless

"Monica Garcia is thrilled to get an understudy role on Broadway. At 12, this is the first time she will..."
Revolution in Our Time: The Black Panther Party’s Promise to the People

"I've been looking forward to this nonfiction book since at least 2009, when The Rock and the River came out,..."
The Great Destroyers

"THE GREAT DESTROYERS is an intriguing alternate history that brings robot fighting into the Cold War. Jo is a teenager..."
Paradise on Fire

"Addy lives in the Bronx with her grandmother, Bibi, who has moved from Nigeria to care for her after the..."
Fresh

"FRESH is an entertaining and thought-provoking coming-of-age story. Elliott is a middle child, heading to college far from home at..."
Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)

"ILLUSIONARY is a beautifully written sequel in a strong YA fantasy duology. The book begins after the first ended, with..."
Bluebird

"It's 1946 and Eva leaves behind destroyed Berlin for New York City. Eva carries a deadly secret. One that others..."
Incendiary (Hollow Crown #1)

"INCENDIARY is an intriguing YA fantasy with rebellion, magic, and intrigue. Renata was stolen from her parents as a child..."
Love and Other Sins

"Read it in one sitting and can’t wait to read the next one!!"

"This was definitely an interesting book. I really enjoyed all of the witchy aspects of the book! It starts off..."
Tell No Tales: Pirates of the Southern Seas

"TELL NO TALES is a graphic novel that features Anne Bonny and her tale of pirating. She has an amazing..."
Into Darkness (Stuffed, Book 2) (Stuffed, 2)

"STUFFED INTO DARKNESS features Clark who is so excited to go to camp, where the Stuffies protect them from monsters...."
If You Go Down to the Woods Today (Brown Bear Wood)

"IF YOU GO DOWN TO THE WOODS TODAY has a poem on each page which opens up to the items..."
Bunny Will Not Jump!: Ready-to-Read Level 1

"Bear wants nothing more than for Bunny to jump, but he won't do it. Bunny doesn't want to jump and..."
Milo's Christmas Parade

"MILO'S CHRISTMAS PARADE features a little opossum who wants nothing more than to join the Christmas parade. For this reason,..."
Taking Care of Mama Rabbit

"When Mama Rabbit falls ill, it's up to Papa Rabbit to go get medicine and her children to make her..."
More Ryan's World of Science: Ready-to-Read Level 1

"MORE RYAN'S WORLD OF SCIENCE features science experiments that are Ryan approved. Not only is this book full of science,..."
Slow Down: 50 Mindful Moments in Nature

"SLOW DOWN contains 50 moments in nature that people will miss on a normal day. Everyone is so busy with..."