Review Detail

Kids Fiction 425
Seeing What Matters
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

'Knock Knock' by Tammi Sauer, illustrated by Guy Francis, is a cute picture book about a bear getting prepared for hibernation. He is eager to have some time alone and to not be bothered by the incessant pestering he feels he is encountering when animal after animal knocks on his door with yet another joke to share. His frustration builds and builds while the rest of the animals enjoy the sentiment, each of them coming to Bear's house with something in hand, from soup to cupcakes to balloons, drinks, and more. As they look toward making Bear's home ship-shape for his impending hibernation, Bear realizes that, in spite of his being ever-so-tired, his friends are only there to share how much they will miss him while he's not around for the winter. When he awakes in the spring, feeling as awake and spry as ever, it is sweet to see him visiting his friends in the same way they visited him - with jokes to tell and a smile to share.

Sometimes it just takes a look at what is really going on, without all of the pent-up emotion hiding reality from view, to show what matters. Sauer's sweet-natured tale of realizing that someone's true motivation isn't always to be out to get someone else, despite what the other person might think, is a wake-up call to anyone who has ever misread a person or situation before. The illustrations enhance the storytelling, shedding light on what is happening in the story and making it so that Bear comes to understand that having friends is worth the aggravation once in a while.
Good Points
Sometimes it just takes a look at what is really going on, without all of the pent-up emotion hiding reality from view, to show what matters. Sauer's sweet-natured tale of realizing that someone's true motivation isn't always to be out to get someone else, despite what the other person might think, is a wake-up call to anyone who has ever misread a person or situation before.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Dinosnores (Boynton on Board)

0.0 (0)
“Honk SHOOOOOO! Honk SHOOOOOO! . . .” ...
Good Day, Good Night

0.0 (0)
Now in a sturdy board book format, perfect for little...
TBH, This May Be TMI (TBH, #2)

0.0 (0)
Told entirely in text messages, the second book in this...
I've Loved You Since Forever

0.0 (0)
New York Times #1 Bestseller! ...
My Baby Loves Christmas

0.0 (0)
In the My Baby Loves Christmas board book, celebrate all...
Riverland

0.0 (0)
When things go bad at home, sisters Eleanor and Mike...
All You Need Is a Pencil: The Totally Sick Sick-Day Activity Book

0.0 (0)
A perfect, device-free remedy to what to do when the...
Animazes

0.0 (0)
Follow fascinating journeys of animal migration in this beautiful book...
Christmas Cheer for The Grouchy Ladybug

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of the New York Times bestseller Hugs...
Baby Loves the Five Senses: Hearing!

0.0 (0)
Big, brainy science for the littlest listeners. ...

0.0 (0)
In 1935, ten-year-old Alex Maki from Bainbridge Island, Washington is...
Laugh-Out-Loud Halloween Jokes: Lift-the-Flap

0.0 (0)
The #1 bestselling Laugh-Out-Loud Jokes for Kids series is bringing...
Little Tigers

0.0 (0)
Journey with a family of tigers as they search for...
Explorer Academy Codebreaking Activity Adventure

0.0 (0)
Unlock ancient puzzles and secrets introduced via supercool codes and...
One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller

0.0 (0)
A stunningly gorgeous counting book with a delightful surprise ...
Hard Work, but It's Worth It: The Life of Jimmy Carter

0.0 (0)
The first picture book about the inspiring life of humanitarian...

Latest Member Reviews

When the Stars Lead to You

"WHEN THE STARS LED TO YOU is quite the emotional YA contemporary. While on the surface it seems like a..."
Coral

"CORAL is not a fairytale retelling of THE LITTLE MERMAID- while it may have been inspired by some of the..."
The Voice in my Head

"THE VOICE IN MY HEAD begins with Indigo standing on a building, praying to God for her sister to live..."
Cicada

"CICADA tells the story of working in a corporate job. Cicada is a good employee who works hard and doesn’t..."
Eventown

"Elodee's family is struggling for reasons that aren't clear, and she and her twin sister Naomi are not getting along...."
Dear Evan Hansen: The Novel

""Dear Evan Hansen" is a sad but sweet YA contemporary that addresses anxiety and the power of a small lie...."
Days of the Dead

"Glorieta Magdelena Davis Espinosa is proud of her family. When her father remarries after her mother's death, he puts away..."
The History of Jane Doe

"I want to love “The History of Jane” because I felt the sincerity of the author to say something about..."
Friends for Life

"Francis is hanging out alone during lunchtime at school--as he does--when a girl who is not appropriately dressed for the..."
The Gatekeepers

"North Shore seems like the most sophisticated and put-together town there is, but it hides a deadly secret from those..."
Project Semicolon: Your Story Isn't Over

""Stay Strong. Love endlessly. Change lives." --Amy Bleuel This suicide and mental illness awareness collection is made..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Definitely the reason why I decided to reread this was because of the show. and now that I finished reading..."