Review Detail

Kids Fiction 595
Multigenerational Family Problems
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Merci lives next door to her grandparents, Abuela and Lolo, and her aunt and younger twin cousins. Her father has a house painting company, and she and her older brother Roli go to a fancy private school on scholarship so that they have every opportunity. Merci finds it a bit difficult to deal with her well-t-o-do classmates, especially the snooty Edna, who is one reason that Merci is saving up her money for a fancy new bike. Merci has to be a Sunshine Buddy and is assigned to Michael, a new student from Minnesota, and isn't thrilled to have to show him around, especially since Edna "like likes" him and makes life difficult for Merci. Merci doesn't need help with that-- her Lolo is having trouble with his memory, and her aunt needs someone to watch the twins, so Merci is not allowed to try out for the school soccer team. There are a lot of school projects being assigned, and Merci sometimes has to work with Edna on them, with disastrous results. As her grandfather's memory worsens, her brother applies to colleges, and the family has to deal with a number of struggles, Merci needs to learn to grow up and help her family instead of being focused only on her own personal concerns.
Good Points
It's nice to see multigenerational families living near each other-- my own neighborhood has a lot of that. The grandparents are especially fun, and the Cuban culture and food vividly portrayed. Merci's struggles with classmates, projects, and assignments, as well as her changing relationship with her brother, are all very realistic. This reminds me a bit of The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z, but set in Florida. This joins the ranks of more recent novels concerning grandparents, which include Swartz's Smart Cookie, Gephart's In Your Shoes, Greenberg's The Battle of Junk Mountain and Reynold's As Brave As You.

This is a good transition by Medina, who has both picture books and young adult novels to her credit. There are a lot of topics being covered, which makes this book a bit on the long side, but her feel for middle grade emotions and reactions is on point.

Mental diminution in the elderly is a topic that young readers should have some knowledge of, since many of them will face problems with their grandparents before they are too much older. It always surprises me that families don't expect or discuss After my mother was diagnosed with Parkinsons a dozen years ago, we told the girls exactly what to expect. My mother is doing fairly well for 84, but none of us are surprised when she is confused. I guess it makes a better story the other way, since almost all books dealing with grandparents and dementia react with denial.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
A teen rockstar has to navigate family, love, coming out,...
IMG_4918.jpg

0.0 (0)
The black X of the Aramach Rebels marks the...
City of Beasts

0.0 (0)
"If you see a beast, and you have the...
The Grace Year

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
No one speaks of the grace year. It’s forbidden....
The Fractured Empire

0.0 (0)
The Ceithren Empire is finally at peace, but for...
The Survival List

0.0 (0)
Sloane Weber is devastated when her older sister dies...
To Kill a Kingdom

0.0 (0)
This action-packed YA debut pits a deadly siren princess and...
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into the Crooked Place begins a gritty two-book YA fantasy...
Kingdom of Souls

0.0 (0)
Magic has a price—if you’re willing to pay. The...
A Warm Friendship

0.0 (0)
"This heartwarming story deals with friendship, empathy, caring, nurturing and...
The Rift

0.0 (0)
As corporate greed is pitted against supernatural forces, two young...
Abraham Lincoln: The Making of America #3

0.0 (0)
The third installment of the Making of America series, Abraham...
Tiger Queen

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
From Annie Sullivan, author of A Touch of Gold,...
A Match Made in Mehendi

0.0 (0)
For fans of When Dimple Met Rishi comes a...
Cold Day in the Sun

0.0 (0)
Holland Delviss wants to be known for her talent...
Perfectly You

0.0 (0)
Ivy Nixon is the student body Vice President at...

Latest Member Reviews

The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

"THE BEAUTIFUL takes place in New Orleans, primarily following a young woman, Celine. Celine fled France after a terrible event..."
Butterfly Yellow

"BUTTERFLY YELLOW is a heartfelt and engrossing historical fiction. Hang is in the US, searching for her younger brother. After..."
The Lady Rogue

"THE LADY ROGUE is an absolutely thrilling historical fiction/fantasy. In the vein of THE MUMMY but in Romania and with..."
Voyages in the Underworld of Orpheus Black

"VOYAGES IN THE UNDERWORLD OF ORPHEUS BLACK is a story about brotherhood, war, and the power of art. Harry is..."
The Madman of Piney Woods

"THE MADMAN OF PINEY WOODS follows two young boys in Canada as their lives are changing and intersecting. Benji Alston..."
The Beholder

"When Selah's proposal to her childhood crush is rejected, she is sent away on a boat to meet possible suitors...."
Remember Me

"REMEMBER ME is an engaging mystery/thriller that goes back and forth through time. We follow Lea in the past when..."
Moon Water: A Novel

"MOON WATER follows Nettie in the summer of 1969 when her life is in turmoil. Nettie is 16 years old..."
A Dress for the Wicked

"A DRESS FOR THE WICKED is a lush and enthralling YA historical fiction that feels anything but historical! Emmaline (Emmy)..."
Professor Renoir’s Collection of Oddities, Curiosities, and Delights

"PROFESSOR RENOIR'S COLLECTION OF ODDITIES, CURIOSITIES, AND DELIGHTS primarily follows Babe, a fourteen-year-old girl who has gigantism. She already stands..."
The Season

"THE SEASON by Sarah MacLean is a YA historical fiction novel that centers around seventeen-year-old Alex, who is coming of..."
Night of Soldiers and Spies (Ranger in Time #10)

"Ranger travels back in time via a magical first aid kit, and must stay until he figures out how to..."
Planet Earth is Blue

"Nova is severely autistic and verbally unintelligible, although she can manage simple things like "yes", "no", and some names. She..."
This Is Just A Test

"THIS IS JUST A TEST takes readers back to the year 1983. It follows David who is both Jewish and..."
With the Might of Angels (Dear America)

"Scholastic is bringing us new editions of the Dear America series and I couldn't be happier. I loved this series..."
Castle of Concrete

"What an amazing debut novel - it weaves together fascinating characters, political upheaval, anti-Semitism, and conflicted love interests into a..."
Stone River Crossing

"Martha Tom lives in a town in the Choctaw Nation in 1804, right across the Bok Chitto River from a..."
The Summer of '69

"Lucas' summer is ruined when his girlfriend Robin decides to be a camp counselor some distance from their Long Island..."
Unconventional Warfare (Special Forces, Book 1)

"Danny has a violent streak, frequently pounding on his younger brother for pounding on another brother. His single father has..."
An Assassin's Guide to Love & Treason

"AN ASSASSIN’S GUIDE TO LOVE & TREASON by Virginia Boecker is such a breath of fresh air. It’s a YA..."