Review Detail

Quest with Talking Swords
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Sir Eleanor and Sir Odo are back with their respective talking swords. After the death of Sir Halfdan and the appearance of the former king Egda, the kingdom of Tofte is in turmoil. Egda's sister Odelyn is acting as regent for Prince Kendryk, but is going to have her crowned king because he is acting soft in the head, spending his time finger painting. The Regent has sent out unpopular Instruments to announce that the rules are changing, more money must be collected, and their way it the only way, so the knights know they must travel to help Kendryk out. Along with Egda's guard, Hundred, they set off on a perilous journey to Tofte, meeting a variety of threatening and helpful characters along the way. At one point, Biter needs to be repaired, and in the process remembers his former knight, who could be a powerful adversary. When the group finally arrives in Tofte, secrets about the lineage of the kings comes out, unsuspected allies emerge, and a new and surprisingly king is crowned.
Good Points
Readers who like classic, medieval fantasy books like Alexander's The Book of Three, Rodda's Deltora Quest, Pierce's Alanna, and Wrede's Dealing with Dragons will adore the formulaic medieval adventure quest and its comfortable familiarity. Forests are always dangerous places, having allies in the Urthkins (who control the underground realm) allows them to bypass some of the more dangerous elements, and dragons can be helpful if you approach them the right way... and your objectives serve their purpose.

For all of its traditional elements, there are some fun twists concerning gender roles. Their are no female equivalents of ruling positions-- everyone, male or female, are kings or Sirs. There is a brief mention that Eleanor and Odo might be romantically linkws, but they are far too busy to think about this too much. Everyone on the quest is brave and powerful, and the only one who really needs to be saved is Kendryk... who has some tricks up his own sleeves.

This has many similarities to Flanagan's The Ranger's Apprentice books, but is slightly younger. The talking swords (whose voice is portrayed in an old Germanic style text) and the bats (whose utterances are punctuated thus: "L!o!o!k! l!e!f!t!") add an element of whimsy that will amuse a younger audience.

While I have been enjoying the fantasy adventure books set in other cultures and dealing with other mythology, there will always be a core group of fantasy aficionados who crave more British style Camelot inspired fantasy where there are swords to be wielded against dragons.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Light of Days Young Readers’ Edition: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos

0.0 (0)
As their communities were being destroyed, groups of Jewish women...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger to...
Paint by Sticker Kids: Outer Space

0.0 (0)
Blast off into outer space with this mess-free sticker craft!...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates are...
The Mother of Monsters

0.0 (0)
Mischievous Ntombi is not at all afraid of the fearsome...
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

0.0 (0)
Brave young Pedro faces monsters and greedy guards when he...
What Beauty There Is

0.0 (0)
What Beauty There Is is Cory Anderson's stunning YA...
Baseball Baby

0.0 (0)
This original board book series, which begins with America's favorite...
I Am Not a Penguin

0.0 (0)
This hilarious story of a pangolin with an identity crisis...
Poison Priestess (Lady Slayers, #2)

0.0 (0)
In 17th-century Paris, 19-year-old Catherine Monvoisin is a well-heeled...
Sam Can't Sleep

0.0 (0)
When Sam can’t sleep, he decides to ask all the...
The Prison Healer (The Prison Healer, #1)

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Kiva Meridan has spent the last ten years...

Latest Member Reviews

Pet Sematary

"Reader reviewed by Vince The protagonist of the story is Louis he is a round character and a Dynamic character...."
Pet Sematary

"Reader reviewed by MissManderz My mother was completely freaked out by this book and the movie and I had to..."
Carrie

"Reader reviewed by MissManderz I am a huge fan of Stephen King and I must say that this is one..."
It
It

"Reader reviewed by MissManderz From the very moment I had picked up this book i was scared. Having seen the..."
Misery

"Reader reviewed by Ben D.  Steven King has outdone himself with the fantastic suspensful and horrific story Misery. Misery is..."
Cell

"Reader reviewed by Amanda This was a great scary book.  It wasn't as scary as some of Steven Kings usually..."
Pet Sematary

"Reader reviewed by Amanda If you buried your pet and it came back to life, what would you do..."
Misery

"Reader reviewed by Amanda This is a good book. It's about a writer who has a crazed fan. She..."
Misery

"Reader reviewed by Milanna Royster Misey was a great book by Stephen King. It all starts with a famous author..."
Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower #4)

"Reader reviewed by melissa velez First let me state that I find/found every book in the series to be superb...."
Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower #4)

"Reader reviewed by Dede This starts up with Eddie, Jake, Susannah and Roland still riddling with Blaine. It's interesting..."
The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower #3)Lands

"Reader reviewed by dede In this book, we still hear and learn a little about Eddie, Susannah and Roland's past...."
The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower #2)

"Reader reviewed by Dede This one takes up where "The Gunslinger" left off and although I liked the first book,..."
The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower #1)

"Reader reviewed by Dede This book is about Roland, the gunslinger, and his quest to catch the man in black...."
Pet Sematary

"Reader reviewed by Laura The Creed family move to a new house in Maine, close to a busy road. When..."
Cell

"Reader reviewed by Laura The hook may be the best I've seen for a horror story in a while: A..."

"Reader reviewed by Noah Potash This is the second book in Stephen King's popular series, The Dark Tower, which details..."
It
It

"Reader reviewed by Chuck Norris This is a great book. ..."
It
It

"Reader reviewed by vicky A book to scare anybody. The residents of Derry are trying to forget what happened..."
Pet Sematary

"Reader reviewed by Victoria As we all know, Stephen King has many, many books. I can't even begin to make..."