Review Detail

Another Sparkly Adventure
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Even though Thea is off on an international scientific expedition to the Arctic, her five friends in the Seven Roses Unit are willing to give up their exotic spring break vacations in order to magically travel to the Crystal Kingdom to help save the day. Queen Tourmaline is under an evil spell, so things are not going well in the kingdom. it is up to the girls to travel across it, meet with different fairies and creatures, and try to figure out how to reverse the spell. They are guided by Turquoise the fish through an odd ocean, and furthered along by the Current Carnelians. They meet dragons, follow the Rocky Crystal Path, and try to talk Wolf into letting the Sweet Awakening Gem leave the Jade Jungle so that Tourmaline can be released from her spell.
Good Points
This is a sparkly and colorful book, filled with all manner of sweet, magical fairies, multiple types of shiny jewels, and an air of adventure that comes straight from a video game. There is even a map that shows the route that the group takes, and there is a list of the beings they meet at the beginning.

The draw of these books is the use of lots of color and pictures. The stories are a bit predictable (there are a LOT of them!), and I struggle to keep Thea's friends straight, but there is nonstop action and adventure, although not as many descriptions of food as in Geronimo Stilton books! (Although there are some yummy cupcakes!) The Thea Stilton Special Editions are more like The Kingdom of Fantasy series; I rather prefer the regular adventures where the girls travel to different countries.

There's no lack of beautiful ball gowns or phrases like "fabumouse" and "mouselets", and the girls (who are pictured as being a vaguely multicultural group, for mice!) all get along well with each other and with their companion and guide, Will. They enjoy their adventures and look forward to seeing their friend and mentor Thea again on their next mission.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal revolution...
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with...
On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...
The Brightsiders

0.0 (0)
A teen rockstar has to navigate family, love, coming out,...
IMG_4918.jpg

0.0 (0)
The black X of the Aramach Rebels marks the...
City of Beasts

0.0 (0)
"If you see a beast, and you have the...
The Grace Year

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
No one speaks of the grace year. It’s forbidden....
The Fractured Empire

0.0 (0)
The Ceithren Empire is finally at peace, but for...
The Survival List

0.0 (0)
Sloane Weber is devastated when her older sister dies...
To Kill a Kingdom

0.0 (0)
This action-packed YA debut pits a deadly siren princess and...
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into the Crooked Place begins a gritty two-book YA fantasy...
Kingdom of Souls

0.0 (0)
Magic has a price—if you’re willing to pay. The...
A Warm Friendship

0.0 (0)
"This heartwarming story deals with friendship, empathy, caring, nurturing and...
The Rift

0.0 (0)
As corporate greed is pitted against supernatural forces, two young...

Latest Member Reviews

Lucky in Love

"Maddie, our main character in Kasie West’s “Lucky in Love”, is logical, hard-working, and a mega planner. She has..."
Lucky in Love

"I am so happy I read this book! there so many things I like about it! the plot is..."
Lucky in Love

" Maddie leads a normal teenage life. The only exception is her family's money problems. So when Maddie unexpectedly wins..."
Lucky in Love

"Everyone has asked themselves at least once, “what would you do if you won the lotto”. LUCKY IN LOVE is..."
Billy and Me (Billy and Me #1)

"What I liked: What first drew me to this book, to be honest, was the cover. It's so simple but..."
(Don't You) Forget About Me

"I loved Another Little Piece and was very excited to see what Kate Karyus Quinn had in store for this..."
Summer State of Mind

"Summer camp is fun for those who absolutely love outdoors. Even though there are some people who hate outdoor activity,..."

"MY THOUGHTS This was one of my most highly anticipated reads, but I oddly enough didn't have high expectations..."

"A memorable read with a few surprising twists and revelations. From the first chapter, Kate Karyus Quinn sets up..."
How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True

"So on the whole, I really enjoyed How Zoe Made Her Dreams{Mostly} Come True, but I couldn’t help but to..."
Anatomy of a Boyfriend (Anatomy #1)

"Some books do a fabulous job of showing what goes on inside of a hormonal teenager’s head. Anatomy of a..."
The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them (Ruby Oliver #2)

" This was a cute, quick read, but I didn't love it quite as much as I did the..."
Crushed (Pretty Little Liars #13)

"The Pretty Little Liars series puts me in a fix - it's been 13 books now, where will the story..."

"Anatomy of a Boyfriend is one of the most honest books I've read out there that deals with the main..."
The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver #1)

" It's kind of hard not to love Ruby Oliver. Sure, she has her quirks and sometimes I just..."
Zoe Letting Go

"This book is an ambitious debut novel that takes a very different approach to eating disorders and recovery from anorexia...."

"I've seen this book around quite a bit but for some reason I always found a reason to put it..."
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

"I’m going to be completely honest: this is really not my type of book. Romance-centric novels aren’t ones I tend..."

"Why I Loved It: The cover of this book screams cutesy chick lit full of adorable moments. That's..."

"What I Loved: Y'all, I freaking adored Sarah Strohmeyer's YA debut Smart Girls Get What They Want, and I was..."