Review Detail

Kids Fiction 619
Can not get it out of my head
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
When I first picked up The Land of Yesterday I thought it was so strange and weird but I was also blown away by how beautiful it was. It’s filled with loss, love, family, and magic. K.A. creates a world where it’s okay to mourn, to cry, but with time we can move on. We can learn to let go of the grief never forgetting who we lost but not holding on to the pain. Cecelia has lost her younger brother in a tragic accident and has spent all that time since his death blaming herself. When her mother follows Celadon to the land of Yesterday, Cecelia knows it’s up to her to follow and put her family back together before she loses them completely.

I fell in love with Cecelia from the very first page. This is a young girl who suffers a terrible loss and still she is filled with incredible strength. The Land of Yesterday is a middle-grade book but deals with issues that affect everyone no matter what age. Loss, love, family, grief play a huge roll in telling this story. Cecelia has been blaming herself for the death of her brother but as she travels to Yesterday she learns how they all blamed themselves. How they held on to this grief and suffered in silence. Cecelia learned how to let go and that it’s those that love us that will share the weight we carry inside and help us heal.

The world was another thing that I loved, a lot of the book focuses on the characters and their journey and growth but we still get to see parts of the world that Cecelia lives in and the worlds that she travels to. I loved how imaginative this whole world was. The Dahl house is alive, Cecelia’s hair can move of it’s own free will and at times it comes to her rescue. Reynolds has created a strange world that is so magical and a story that is so beautiful. You feel the pain of loss and guilt but also the magic of friendship and love and family. Reynolds brings these characters to life and you feel yourself in every corner of this story. I don’t have the words to articulate how beautiful and moving this book truly was. I highly highly recommend you read this one. I cannot get it out of my head.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Lady Rogue

0.0 (0)
The Last Magician meets A Gentleman’s Guide to Vice...
The Twin

0.0 (0)
After their parents divorced, 10-year-old twins Ivy and Iris...
Playing by Heart

5.0 (2)
Emilia Salvini dreams of marrying a man who loves...
The Winter Duke

0.0 (0)
She survived the curse. Now she must survive the...
Only Mostly Devastated

0.0 (0)
Will Tavares is the dream summer fling―he's fun, affectionate,...
Frozen Hearts

0.0 (0)
A runaway teenager. A rogue android. A mystery hidden...

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Faith has always known she was different and her...
The Mall

0.0 (0)
The year is 1991. Scrunchies, mixtapes and 90210 are, like,...

0.0 (0)
In Poems to Live Your Life By, Chris Riddell, political...
The Claires

0.0 (0)
Four beautiful girls. Quadruplets. They are not identical.But each is...
The Life Below

4.0 (1)
It was hard enough for Naomi to leave Leo,...
What He Hides

0.0 (0)
She wants the truth... or does she? They say...

Latest Member Reviews

Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

"The story: Hua Minglan will sacrifice everything to avenge the death of her sister, and when war threatens her..."
Darkblood Academy

"AWESOME"
Falling For My Nemesis

"Mia and Carson have always had it out for each other. But when Carson hits Mia in the face with..."
The Mall

"Cassie Worthy won't let a little thing like Mono hold her back from completing the Plan. It's the summer of..."
TBH, This is SO Awkward

"'TBH, This is SO Awkward: A Novel in Text' by Lisa Greenwald is quite interesting in that it is written..."

"POEMS TO LIVE YOUR LIFE BY is a collection in which each poem has been hand-picked by Chris Riddell, for..."

"This was an adventure from start to finish. I love Polly and her determination to not give up. Gorgeous setting..."
Salty, Bitter, Sweet

"SALTY, BITTER, SWEET is a book about family, forgiveness, grief, and following your passion. Isabella dreams of being a world-class..."
The N Word

"'Dating the Boy Next Door' by Michelle MacQueen and Ann Maree Craven is a wonderful sequel to the first book..."
My Name is Erin, and My Mom's an Addict

"Erin Whitaker's father is dead and her mother is a drug addict. When she is very young her mother..."
Spoken

"Roman has his life turned upside down when, amidst a scandal, his mom decides to leave LA. Roman must learn..."

"break your glass slippers is the first book in the poetry series, “you are your own fairy tale,” by award-winning..."