Review Detail

Kids Fiction 777
Terrific Historical Fiction--and Baseball!
(Updated: June 29, 2018)
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
The year is 1957, and Katy Gordon is a fifth grade girl who just wants to play baseball. She's worked her way into being accepted on the field by the boys in her neighborhood thanks to her pitching arm and skill with the bat. With her short hair tucked into a baseball cap, blue jeans, and her favorite San Francisco Seals jersey on, Katy blends in with the other boys to such an extent that she's invited to try out for a local Little League team. Katy--who writes her name as Casey on the information form provided by the coach--shows up at tryouts, makes the team, and is slated to be the starting picture in an upcoming practice game when one of the other player's parents outs her as a girl to the league. Little League baseball has a clear "no girls allowed" rule, and it doesn't matter how good Katy is at the sport, being a girl means she can't play. Period.

Katy is determined to fight back, and after her initial letter to the national office of Little League Baseball gets a response that details why girls can't play on the same level as boys, Katy channels her anger and disappointment into a quest for information. She's determined to prove that girls CAN compete with boys, and her research shows her that girls and women have been playing baseball with and against men--and succeeding--for a very long time.

OUT OF LEFT FIELD by Ellen Klages is rich in historical detail as Katy and her class delve into all of the current events of the time including the US and Soviet Union Space Race, the Little Rock Nine, the Giants moving to San Francisco, and plenty more. Best of all is the deep dive into the history of women in baseball and Katy's efforts to educate herself and others on the topic.

Katy is a great character, and she's surrounded by other amazing women. Her mom is particularly wonderful, and I can only hope that Katy's older sisters (who get mentioned a bit, but are never front-and-center) get their own books at some point. Klages writes history really well: Katy's story is fiction, but the facts surrounding her are interesting, informative, and provide plenty of opportunities for dialogue with young readers on important topics that are relevant today.

I wish my eight-year-old self had been able to read this book. I was a baseball-loving girl who played the game with all of the neighborhood boys, and reading Katy's story and learning about the women who formed the foundation for girls in the sport would have been so inspiring to me at that time--heck, it's inspiring now! The baseball narrative would have been enough to pull me in, but I enjoyed the focus on 1957's current events, too, and Katy's appreciation for and use of the library cemented the deal: I'd love to see this book used in upper elementary classrooms everywhere. What an amazing wide-ranging learning opportunity it provides! And I'll keep my fingers crossed for a movie as well. "The Sandlot" meets "A League of Their Own"?! How perfect would that be?! *sigh*

I absolutely recommend this book, and I offer my thanks to the publisher and YA Books Central for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
Good Points
Fascinating history
Women in sports
Great writing
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
June 29, 2018
Thanks!

Katy’s sisters, Dewey Kerrigan and Suze Gordon already have two books of their own: THE GREEN GLASS SEA, and WHITE SANDS, RED MENACE, both in paperback from Viking/Penguin.
June 30, 2018
In reply to an earlier comment

Oh, excellent! I'll look for both of them. Thanks so much for writing a wonderful book!
2 results - showing 1 - 2
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

How to Make Friends with the Dark

0.0 (0)
Here is what happens when your mother dies. ...
Girl at Heart

0.0 (0)
As the daughter of a successful Major League pitcher, Charlie...
Serious Moonlight

0.0 (0)
After an awkward first encounter, Birdie and Daniel are forced...
Sway

0.0 (0)
In Kat Spears’s hilarious and often poignant debut, high school...
Scarlet Epstein Hates it Here

0.0 (0)
Meet Scarlett Epstein, BNF (Big Name Fan) in her online...
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Renée Ahdieh returns with...
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

0.0 (0)
Bestselling Divergent and Carve the Mark author Veronica Roth...
The Boy Who Dreamt the World

0.0 (0)
Adam is living the dream, literally.... There are two...
Colliding Skies

0.0 (0)
Since Skye Reilly can remember, she has been looking...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history,...
Dating Nashville

0.0 (0)
Becks: How does a straight guy accidentally come out...
Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

0.0 (0)
A young adult anthology featuring fictional stories of everyday...
I Know When You're Going To Die

0.0 (0)
Leonardo Cantrell is a painfully shy sixteen-year-old who cannot look...
Dog and Rabbit

0.0 (0)
A funny, sweet story of unrequited friendship from the creator...
I'm Not Dying with You Tonight

0.0 (0)
Lena and Campbell aren't friends. ...
Symptoms of a Heartbreak

0.0 (0)
The youngest doctor in America, an Indian-American teen makes her...

Latest Member Reviews

How to Make Friends with the Dark

"A weighty YA Contemporary, grappling with a wide array of crises and quandaries. What I..."
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

"I’m not going to lie….I read The Burning Shadow in two days. It could’ve been one sitting if my eyelids..."
The Grace Year

"It’s been one week since I finished The Grace Year by Kim Liggett as I sit down to start this..."
Symptoms of a Heartbreak

"I started out reading an ARC of Symptoms of a Heartbreak, but then I switched to reading a hardcover in..."
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

"I’m going to start out this post by letting it be known by all and sundry that I was provided..."
Sick Kids in Love

"SICK KIDS IN LOVE is a beautiful story about love- as well as invisible illness/disability AND NOBODY DIES! (I do..."
The Light at the Bottom of the World (The Light at the Bottom of the World, #1)

"THE LIGHT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD is a compelling and atmospheric YA fantasy/science fiction. In the future, the..."
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

"If you adored FROZEN, you need to get your hands on this Twisted Tale which reimagines the story if Anna..."
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

"THE END AND OTHER BEGINNINGS is the latest from DIVERGENT author, Veronica Roth. The novel is comprised of six YA..."
The Bookworm Crush

"THE BOOKWORM CRUSH is an absolutely charming romantic comedy with all sorts of booklover homages. Amy McIntyre is @redheadrecs and..."
Scared Little Rabbits

"SCARED LITTLE RABBITS follows Nora (aka Eleanor, Lowercase) as she sets out on a summer camp adventure that resulted in..."
A Constellation of Roses

"A CONSTELLATION OF ROSES is a beautiful story of familial love and healing. Trix has been trying to make her..."
Frankly in Love

"FRANKLY IN LOVE is a surprisingly deep and heartfelt read. Although it is described as a rom-com, this is not..."
American Royals

"What if at the end of America’s Revolutionary War, George Washington was offered a crown and what if he said..."
Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

"This is the type of book I’d like to see included in school curriculums. The stories are like wide open..."
When the Stars Lead to You

"WHEN THE STARS LED TO YOU is quite the emotional YA contemporary. While on the surface it seems like a..."
We Are the Perfect Girl

"'We Are the Perfect Girl' by Ariel Kaplan is a Cyrano De Bergerac style story. There are a host of..."
Stranger Things: Runaway Max

"'Stranger Things: Runaway Max' by Brenna Yovanoff provides an intriguing look into Max's life before and during her time in..."
Crown of Oblivion

"Engrossing and completely thrilling, CROWN OF OBLIVION is a fantastic new YA fantasy that I highly recommend. Dealing with themes..."

"Four very different high school girls plan to spend one month together in GIRLS OF JULY, and they each have..."