Review Detail

The Critter Crew Solves a Mystery
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Someone has broken into Remy's house and stolen his notebook, so he gathers his Critter Crew to try to find it. The notebook where his grandfather kept sketches is all he has left of his family, who were scattered after their home was torn down. Buttercup, a cat new to the neighborhood, tries to help, but is rather crafty and mean and gets Remy and his crew into some trouble. The group ends up in the sewers, where they are almost eaten by an evil alligator, but Buttercup proves he is on their side and saves the day. The investigation continues, with Remy visiting a local cafe and getting some clues about an animal in a hoodie who was seen skulking around his house. When Remy finally locates the mysterious creature, secrets about their shared past are revealed.
Good Points
This beginning chapter book graphic novel has a fun cast of characters, a lot of goofy action and adventure, and a mystery that young readers will find to be intriguing. The black and white illustrations support the larger format text, making this a good choice for beginning or struggling readers.

Remy's fanny pack collection, his love of drawing his surroundings in order to bring him closer to his missing family, and his loyal and supportive Critter Crew are all endearing touches.

Fans of LaReau's Infamous Ratsos, Eaton's Flying Beaver Brothers, and even Krosoczka's Platypus Police Squad will want to go along with Remy as he follows the mysterious creature in the hoodie in order to retrieve what is rightfully his!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Baby Up, Baby Down: A First Book of Opposites

0.0 (0)
Handpicked by Amazon kids’ books editor, Seira Wilson, for Prime...
Be Our Guest!

0.0 (0)
Join Gray Malin’s menagerie of wild animals for a stay...
Hat Tricks

0.0 (0)
Meet Hattie the magician―she’s a natural performer, and you’re invited...
Stanley's Toolbox

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
Spring Is Here!

0.0 (0)
When spring arrives, baby animals come out to play with...
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

0.0 (0)
The delightful follow-up to When Dimple Met Rishi and There’s...
The Child of Chaos

0.0 (0)
This is what fantasy fiction should be." --Piers Anthony, New...
Want to Read Rate this book 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars Preview Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

0.0 (0)
“O say can you see” begins one of the most...

0.0 (0)
July 20, 1969. It’s a day that has earned a...
Thurgood Marshall

0.0 (0)
When Thurgood Marshall—the great grandson of a slave—was born, African...
Down Under the Pier

0.0 (0)
There’s lots of fun to be had up on the...
Lali's Feather

0.0 (0)
This endearing story of identification and values shows the rewards...

0.0 (0)
Book three in a hilarious new series featuring one boy...

0.0 (0)
Everything starts with a question, like this one: Why do...

0.0 (0)
Worries, fears, and anxieties are all dragons that sneak up...

Latest Member Reviews

No Body's Perfect

"Reader reviewed by Snowbunni All I can say amazing changed the way I think about certain things, and how I..."
No Body's Perfect

"Reader reviewed by sara This book tells the ugly truth about eating disorders.It is a great book that is so..."
No Body's Perfect

"Reader reviewed by hannah i thought this book was scary because eating disorders are scary and so were the storys...."
No Body's Perfect

"Kimberly Kirberger is the coauthor of the best-selling Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul books and is the president of..."