Review Detail

Kids Fiction 754
A Classic Tale with a Twist
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Lion is not very nice. He bullies the other animals, and they're all afraid to stand up to him. In desperation, they put out a "Help Needed" ad, and hope that some brave soul will come to their rescue for a reward of "100 BUCKS (mostly gazelle)." In response to the ad, a bear loses a boxing match against Lion, a moose fails at fencing, and a tiger cannot best Lion at arm wrestling. It seems that all is lost, and Lion is ready to go back to his bullying ways, when a rabbit arrives to save the day.

LION VS. RABBIT by Alex Latimer is a retelling of sorts of THE TORTOISE AND THE HARE, and the author/illustrator adds plenty of light moments to his version in through his illustrations. None of the animals are too threatening--not even Lion--and the story is fun all the way through to the expected outcome. There IS a bit of a plot twist at the finale when it's revealed that Lion was up against more than one wily rabbit, and a review of the illustrations shows clues toward that end.

LION VS. RABBIT provides a bit of a twist to a classic with a story that is fun to read aloud. The distinctive illustrations add to the humor--and it IS always nice to see a bully get his comeuppance, isn't it?

My thanks to the publisher and YA Books Central for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
Good Points
A twist to a class tale
Fun illustrations
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

My Love is All Around

0.0 (0)
Mommy Bear shows Baby Bear how love is all around...
I'm not a Mouse!

0.0 (0)
Olivia really doesn't like her nickname - mostly because it...
My Panda Sweater

0.0 (0)
The other kids may laugh, but I always feel safe...
One Day on our Blue Planet... In the Outback

0.0 (0)
From breakfast to dinner, dusk to dawn, children will love...
Mrs Bibi's Elephant

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming story with a message as big as an...
The State of Us

0.0 (0)
"Dre and Dean have got my vote!"—Adib Khorram, award-winning...
My Calamity Jane

0.0 (0)
Welcome to 1876 America, a place bursting with gunslingers,...
Little Creeping Things

0.0 (0)
A compulsively readable debut with a narrator you just...
Fae's Deception (Queens of the Fae Book 1)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Brea Robinson is a murderer. That’s what everyone tells...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Artemis Fowl: Guide to the World of Fairies

0.0 (0)
This beautifully illustrated novel is a compendium of Artemis Fowl's...
The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)

0.0 (0)
Les Misérables meets Six of Crows in this page-turning...
Personalized Notebook Doodles Adorable Pets Coloring Book

0.0 (0)
From hamsters and hermit crabs to cats and canaries, you'll...
The Last Summer

0.0 (0)
For the first eleven years of their lives, neighbors Lila...
The Falling in Love Montage

0.0 (0)
Two girls embark on a summer of montage-worthy dates (with...
Super Puzzletastic Mysteries: Short Stories for Young Sleuths from Mystery Writers of America

0.0 (0)
Bestselling author Chris Grabenstein and the Mystery Writers of America...

Latest Member Reviews

Like Sisters on the Homefront

"Top 3 reasons to read LIKE SISTERS ON THE HOMEFRONT: 1.) The characters- Gayle, a NYC girl sent to..."
Zeus, Dog of Chaos

"Madden is getting used to living with his mother, an Army lieutenant, after having spent a lot of time with..."
How to be a Girl in the World

"Lydia lives in an apartment in New York with her mom and her cousin, Emma. Emma's mother, who was African-American,..."
The New David Espinoza

"David is the skinniest kid at high Florida high school, and he's taken his share of bullying about it. On..."
The Magnificent Mya Tibbs: Mya in the Middle

"Mya's exploits at school continue when her fourth grade class participates in an economics unit. The children get $25 from..."
Sabotage (Beatrice Zinker, Upside Down Thinker (3))

"Beatrice calls a meeting of Operation Upside with her friends Sam and Lenny, and they decide what the newest awards..."
I, Cosmo

"Cosmo is the "big brother" of Max and his young sister Emmaline, and is now 13 years old. He still..."
TBH, This is SO Awkward

"'TBH, This is SO Awkward: A Novel in Text' by Lisa Greenwald is quite interesting in that it is written..."
Look Both Ways

"I often hear it said that writers are bred, and sure you can breed some decent writers with whatever amount..."
Long Way Down

"I feel like I've been asleep for the last 31 years and I just woke up. I am woke. ..."
Dog Days in the City

"In The Unlikely Story of a Pig in the City, Josie and her large family adopted Hamlet, a pig. When..."
Big Nate: Back to Back Hits: On a Roll and Goes for Broke

"This is a combination of two Big Nate novels; Big Nate on a Roll and Big Nate Goes For Broke...."
Pippa Park Raises Her Game

"Pippa loves to play basketball and struggles a tiny bit in school. She lives with her much older sister, Mina,..."
Patron Saints of Nothing

"After learning that his cousin Jun (his best friend and penpal) has died, Jay Reguero heads back to visit his..."
Someone Else's Shoes

"Izzy is very interested in comedy, perhaps because her own life is anything but humorous. Her parents are divorced, and..."
Notorious

"Keenan ends up living with his father on an island that is part Canada and part US when he is..."
Gabby Garcia’s Ultimate Playbook #3: Sidelined

"Gabby travels from Peach Tree to Seattle with her family for a vacation, but it ends disastrously. Not only is..."
Gabby Garcia's Ultimate Playbook  (Gabby Garcia #1)

"Gabby's year is going very well, and she's just about to make the most brilliant baseball play of her life..."
Roll With It

"Ellie and her mother live in Nashville; her father left when she was young and has another family. Ellie loves..."
From the Desk of Zoe Washington

"Zoe lives in Boston with her mother and stepfather. Her best friend, Trevor, lives next door, but as summer starts,..."