Review Detail

3-D printers are dangerous!
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

After Manny and Freddy's adventures with the 3-D printer in Monsters Unleashed, they are glad things have calmed down. When Trevor, a new student who seems obsessed with bugs, asks Freddy to draw him a bug, he does so without thinking too much about it, but later realizes that Trevor has gotten hold of the printer, which the kids had hidden in their old school which had been destroyed by monsters. Trevor has printed out bugs, but they have started to multiply on their own, and soon there is a huge infestation. Manny and Freddie have to bring out some of the monsters to help deal with this creepy crawly invasion of "entomons", and save their community from certain doom yet again.
Good Points
Even though one of the monsters has turned the 3-D printer to stone, I doubt that we have heard the end of Manny's and Freddy's adventures! Kloepfer excels at writing action scenes-- chases, explosions, bug guts splattering, you name it! These books are short and move quickly, and will be very appealing to readers who enjoy Kloepfer's Zombie Chasers series as well as Lubar's Monsterific Tales.

While this is not a notebook novel, there are a fair number of illustrations, which help to show what the bugs look like, which is very helpful. Of course, the pictures of Kraydon, Oddo, Yapzilla, Mega-Q and Mungo are fun to see as well,

The children all work together well despite their differences, and the new character of Trevor adds a bit of depth; it's hard to tell at first if Trevor is purely evil or just misguided, and we only find out as much as our protagonists do.

Goofy monsters, swarming bugs, gummy worms, and grandmas who are around to offer snacks at the end of an epic battle-- what more could you want in a middle grade speculative fiction novel?
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

We Set the Dark on Fire

0.0 (0)
At the Medio School for Girls, distinguished young women are...
The Education of Margot Sanchez

0.0 (0)
Pretty in Pink comes to the South Bronx in this...
Stella Diaz Has Something to Say

0.0 (0)
In her first middle-grade novel, award-winning picture book author and...
Sarai and the Meaning of Awesome

0.0 (0)
Sarai Gonzalez is AWESOME. ...
Strange Birds: A Field Guide to Ruffling Feathers

0.0 (0)
From the award-winning author of The First Rule of Punk...
With the Fire on High

0.0 (0)
by Elizabeth Acevedo (Goodreads Author) 4.31 ...

0.0 (0)
Four girls. One unforgettable July. ...

0.0 (0)
The definitive collection of British and Irish folktales from master...
The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)

0.0 (0)
One week after their eleventh birthday, the Fowl twins--scientist Myles,...
Kai and the Monkey King (Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #3)

0.0 (0)
When Kai grows tired of her bookish mum not being...
Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
All the Things We Do in the Dark

0.0 (0)
Sadie meets Girl in Pieces in this dark, emotional thriller...
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

0.0 (0)
Abigail has just started her second year at the Tarkana...
Fancy Nancy: Camp Fancy

0.0 (0)
Based on the Disney Junior TV show and inspired by...
Rules for Vanishing

0.0 (0)
In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes...

Latest Member Reviews

Blue Voyage

"After a recent shoplifting offense, Zan, the daughter of a politician, finds herself on a forced mother-daughter trip to Turkey...."
Tokyo Heist

"I love travel and love books set in foreign places. Renn did a great job capturing Tokyo in this book...."
Latitude Zero

"Talk about whirlwind suspense, tension, and adventure that doesn't stop! I was hooked on the very first page of..."
Tokyo Heist

HS Hwa Sun Kang
"-"
Tokyo Heist

"TOKYO HEIST promises a mystery that spans two continents, with plenty of danger and intrigue, and it delivers. I really..."
Tokyo Heist

"Tokyo Heist is my first and last experience with DAC ARC tours. I signed up a couple of months ago,..."
Tokyo Heist

"Violet loves reading and drawing manga, and is not happy that her mother is going away for the summer and..."