Review Detail

Kids Fiction 892
How many of the references will YOU get?
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Jimmy loves to read, and loves recommending books to his friends, especially his friend Maxine. He loves books SO MUCH that he has decided to make books himself. Of course, he will need an awesome factory in order to do this, which will take a lot of money, and this is hard to gather when you are in middle school. This doesn't stop Jimmy, though! He quickly writes stories, prints them out, and gets a copy made so that he can share it. His friend Rafe even does some illustrations. He tries several different ways to obtain funding for his venture, but gets laughed out of the bank even though the people there find his story amusing. Eventually, his friend Hailey introduces him to the wealthy Yingerlingers who finally realize what a brilliant idea Jimmy has, and help him make his dream come true. Jimmy's insistence on following his dreams also helps his parents to reduce their work hours and embrace their own passions and also provides books for kids that they will actually want to read!
Good Points
Jimmy mentions a huge range of books that he enjoys reading, and it would be great if readers who follow his story with amusement were to hunt down titles such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or A Wrinkle in Time. These are great books that don't have a huge current fan base, so it would be fantastic if this book created a new fan base for them.

Jeff Ebbeler's illustrations are a nice change from other illustrators Patterson has used, and hit the sweet spot between goofy and sophisticated for middle school. There are a lot of fun details in the pictures, and he does a great job of capturing the personalities of a wide range of characters. I especially like the way that he visually translates that changes that Jimmy's parents undergo.

Fans of Patterson's other middle grade novels will be vastly amused at the parade of characters from other titles that appear in Jimmy's world. Everyone from Jamie Grimm from the I Funny Books to Hailey from Word of Mouse shows up, although sometimes it's hard to tell which characters are from other titles or appear in real life. Are the Yingerlingers real, and if so, will they give my library money?

This book blurs the line between fiction and reality, and offers a humorous explanation for the new "jimmy" imprint being introduced by prolific author James Patterson. Jimmy's love for books is as intense as it is endearing, and his message to work hard to make one's dreams come true cannot be contested. Laugh Out Loud is a must read for fans of this author's many humorous and engaging middle grade novels.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

shine your icy crown

0.0 (0)
“Make them rue the day they underestimated you.” ...
The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author Alyssa Sheinmel comes the...
Kamala Harris: Rooted in Justice

0.0 (0)
Discover the incredible story of a young daughter of immigrants...
Follow Your Arrow

0.0 (0)
For fans of Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera, this is...
Paris Cat

0.0 (0)
A sassy cat from the back alleys of Paris believes...
The Last Hazelnut

0.0 (0)
When two woodland friends have a misunderstanding over who ate...
Down Comes the Night

0.0 (0)
He saw the darkness in her magic. She saw the...
Rescue

0.0 (0)
Six hundred and fifty-seven days ago, Meg Kenyon's father left...

0.0 (0)
“We are most courageous at our weakest; when we believe...
The Night Walk

0.0 (0)
Mama opened our bedroom door. "Wake up, you two," she...
My Very Merry Ugly Christmas Sweater

0.0 (0)
Celebrate the perfect, ugly expression of holiday cheer in this...
You and Me

0.0 (0)
This sweet celebration of love is perfect for sharing with...

Latest Member Reviews

shine your icy crown

"shine your icy crown by amanda lovelace is a 129-page collection of contemporary poems. It’s the second book in the..."
Rescue

"What worked: Engaging historical set during WWII. What interested me the most of this novel is how codes were used..."
The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)

"THE CASTLE SCHOOL (FOR TROUBLED GIRLS) is a story of healing and friendship. Moira has been cast adrift since the..."
Kamala Harris: Rooted in Justice

"A wonderful book about an amazing woman. The Story: Kamala Harris has lived quite the life. Raised as..."
Go the Distance

"Hercules proved he was a true hero and became a god like his parents, Zeus and Hera. Meg is thrilled..."
Follow Your Arrow

"FOLLOW YOUR ARROW is a heartfelt read about love, breaking up, and being true to yourself. CeCe has made a..."
Paris Cat

"PARIS CAT is an imaginative picture book about a cat that lives in an alleyway of Paris but dreams of..."
The Last Hazelnut

"THE LAST HAZELNUT is a sweet picture book about friendship, forgiveness, and sharing. Tim and Teo are best friends, and..."
Down Comes the Night

"DOWN COMES THE NIGHT is an intriguing, slow-burn YA fantasy. Wren is a healer in the military of her queendom,..."
The Night Walk

"THE NIGHT WALK takes the reader on a walk at night through the village and into the wilderness. Parents wake..."
My Very Merry Ugly Christmas Sweater

"MY VERY MERRY UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATER is a fun touch-and-feel book that captures all the fun of Christmas attire. The..."
You and Me

"YOU AND ME is a sweet book about love between caregiver and child. The lyrical poetry of the rhyming text,..."
Baby's First Farm

"BABY'S FIRST FARM takes readers on a delightful lift-the-flap journey around the farm. The board book is a simple story..."
Can I Come Too?

"CAN I COME TOO? tells the story of a small mouse who decides to go on a big adventure to..."
A Dark and Hollow Star (A Dark and Hollow Star, #1)

"A DARK AND HOLLOW STAR is a slowly building YA fantasy that takes the reader on a wild ride through..."
Daughters of Jubilation

"It's South Carolina in 1962. Sixteen-year-old Evvie has two little sisters to take care of, a single mother, and finally..."
Dark Stars

"DARK STARS by Danielle Rollins is the third book in her series of the same name. It begins with Dorothy..."
Karma Moon: Ghost Hunter

"Karma Moon loves living with her dad in their New York neighborhood, answering phone calls for his Totally Rad documentary..."
Muted

"Denver loves music and dreams of life making it with her R&B group, Angelic Voices. When the group (Denver, Dali,..."
Anchored

"Unlike anything I've read before. The Story: Alora is of two worlds. During her..."