Review Detail

Kids Fiction 559
Remember your favorite stuffed animal?
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Cody's brother Wyatt has a new obsession-- a bicycle. Specifically, a very spiffy bike that he saves up a large amount of money to purchase. Cody feels that this is taking up too much of his time, and misses hanging out with him. She has a new friend, Pearl, and has her first sleepover. Pearl suggests that they trade toys, and Cody reluctantly agrees to let Pearl have Gremlin, her favorite toy and confidant that her brother gave her. When Wyatt's bike is stolen, Cody wishes she had Gremlin back to talk to, and eventually "borrows" him back, letting Pearl think that he has been stolen. Cody also suspects that the Meens have stolen the bike, and at one point there is a big chase to get the bike back. Cody has to come clean to Pearl and hope that their friendship can be saved.
Good Points
I love Cody's busy but supportive family. Her mother is especially amusing, since she is the manager of the shoe department in a local store but doesn't cook or handle the home situation terribly well. Wyatt is a typical teen, and his relationship with Cody realistic. Cody's teacher is fun as well-- his shirt is tucked in and his hair is combed in the morning, but he's a mess by the end of the day. The fact that he is firm and has set rules, and Cody likes him anyway is a good example to set.

Friend drama in elementary school can consume so much of a child's thoughts, even if the issues at hand look trivial and insignificant to grown ups. Cody's feelings for Gremlin are spot on, and her tentative relationship with Pearl is something that young readers will understand.

This is a great series for elementary school students that even does well with reluctant middle school ones readers, since the books are short and have Eliza Wheeler's appealing illustrations. Get your reader hooked with the summer-oriented Cody and the Fountain of Happiness, and alternate Springstubb's books with other series that showcase elementary school friendships, such as Rissi's Anna, Banana, Meyerhoff's The Friendship Garden, and Potter's Piper Green books.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

How to Make Friends with the Dark

0.0 (0)
Here is what happens when your mother dies. ...

0.0 (0)
As the daughter of a successful Major League pitcher, Charlie...
Serious Moonlight

0.0 (0)
After an awkward first encounter, Birdie and Daniel are forced...
Sway

0.0 (0)
In Kat Spears’s hilarious and often poignant debut, high school...
Scarlet Epstein Hates it Here

0.0 (0)
Meet Scarlett Epstein, BNF (Big Name Fan) in her online...
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Renée Ahdieh returns with...
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

0.0 (0)
Bestselling Divergent and Carve the Mark author Veronica Roth...

0.0 (0)
Adam is living the dream, literally.... There are two...
Colliding Skies

0.0 (0)
Since Skye Reilly can remember, she has been looking...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history,...
Dating Nashville

0.0 (0)
Becks: How does a straight guy accidentally come out...
Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

0.0 (0)
A young adult anthology featuring fictional stories of everyday...

Latest Member Reviews

How to Make Friends with the Dark

"A weighty YA Contemporary, grappling with a wide array of crises and quandaries. What I..."
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

"I’m not going to lie….I read The Burning Shadow in two days. It could’ve been one sitting if my eyelids..."
The Grace Year

"It’s been one week since I finished The Grace Year by Kim Liggett as I sit down to start this..."
Dog and Rabbit

"DOG AND RABBIT is a charming tale of friendship. Told in four parts, the book introduces Dog and then Rabbit...."

"I started out reading an ARC of Symptoms of a Heartbreak, but then I switched to reading a hardcover in..."
Dating Nashville

"If you read the first series, Redefining Me, you got a glimpse at these characters and probably love them just..."
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

"I’m going to start out this post by letting it be known by all and sundry that I was provided..."
Sick Kids in Love

"SICK KIDS IN LOVE is a beautiful story about love- as well as invisible illness/disability AND NOBODY DIES! (I do..."
Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)

"I never wanted to be a superhero as a child, but I wanted to do heroic things. Tristan Strong epitomizes..."
The Light at the Bottom of the World (The Light at the Bottom of the World, #1)

"THE LIGHT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD is a compelling and atmospheric YA fantasy/science fiction. In the future, the..."
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

"If you adored FROZEN, you need to get your hands on this Twisted Tale which reimagines the story if Anna..."
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

"THE END AND OTHER BEGINNINGS is the latest from DIVERGENT author, Veronica Roth. The novel is comprised of six YA..."