Review Detail

The Super Corn Nuts Crazy Pants Conclusion
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Like the other books in this series, there are plenty of car chases, things exploding, and a fabulous gamer geek flash mob in Times Square. Roy does an excellent job of pacing the story, interspersing tense moments of survival with humorous exchanges, which helps the story move along quickly even when there are necessary explanations of the Bend Sinister's actions. I was glad to finally know that they were so bent on destroying the world because they thought they could all be protected and that the new world would somehow be better. I hadn't realized that the 36 pure souls were based on a Kabbalah belief-- the story stands alone without this, but it adds an interesting dimension.

Ronan and Greta's friendship continues to be tested, but I appreciated their realistic interchanges. Ronan is very clearly trying to save Greta, but because she doesn't quite understand the danger she is in, she often thwarts his attempts and wants to take care of herself. Dawkins is still my favorite character, and his sad tale of working with a Pure named Mathilde in France just adds more pathos to his character. Diz is a fun addition, and I would love to have her taxi at my disposal!

Readers of fantasy adventures, this is another great trilogy in the same vein as Bacon's Joshua Dread, Salane's Lawless, Hale's Playing with Fire or Kraatz's Cloak Society. Roy's characters, descriptions and humor are just the ticket for middle grade readers, and I can't wait to see what he writes next.
Good Points
Having survived the "super corn nuts crazy pants" adventures in The Blood Guard and The Glass Gauntlet, Ronan is still trying to keep Greta safe. As a Pure, she is in grave danger and must not be told she is Pure, lest the nature of her soul change. Ronan's father, who is a Head in the Bend Sinister, knows about Greta, and since he can't get to her because she is so heavily guarded by Ronan, Dawkins and the others, is about to go after Greta's mother. With the help of a helicopter and then a souped up taxi with an exuberant driver named Diz, the group arrives at Greta's house and convince her mother to go with them. Unfortunately, the Bend Sinister is not far behind, and on the subway, they mistake Ms. Susterman for Greta and kidnap her. Ronan and Dawkins have to negotiate with Ronan's father, promising him the Damascene 'Scope in exchange. They manage to get Ms. Susterman back, but her cat, Grendel, is possessed by an agent of the Bend Sinister. Using a very sad story from his past, Dawkins illustrates why it is so important to keep Greta safe, and the group ends up having an epic battle on the orange silk-wrapped Brooklyn Bridge. Not everyone will survive, secrets will be uncovered, and the fate of the world hangs in a very precarious balance.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Fisher- Price Fun in the Jungle: Explore, Touch, and Feel

0.0 (0)
Children will love exploring the different textures in this playful...
Glitter Globes: The Night Before Christmas

0.0 (0)
On the night before Christmas, all over the house, not...
Belinda Fellgate: HellCat

0.0 (0)
A contemporary teen fantasy about an inept 14-year-old girl who...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling author...
Music for Tigers

0.0 (0)
Shipped halfway around the world to spend the summer...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. ...
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lira and Reyker have lost everything. Including each other....
Sword of the Seven Sins

0.0 (0)
Eva Marteinn never wanted to be a killer. Raised...
Things That Should Stay Buried

0.0 (0)
Some destinies are written in the stars. Others must...
How It All Blew Up

0.0 (0)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda goes to Italy...
Horrid

0.0 (0)
From the author of You Must Not Miss comes...
Tsalix Silverthorn and the Scepter of Destiny

0.0 (0)
The latest phenomenal work from New York Times Bestselling author...
The Adventures of Bubba Jones (#4): Time Traveling Through Grand Canyon National Park

0.0 (0)
In the fourth book of this award-winning national park series,...
The Companion

0.0 (0)
The other orphans say Margot is lucky. Lucky to...
Sanctuary

0.0 (0)
It's 2032, and in this near-future America, all citizens...
Teen Titans: Beast Boy

0.0 (0)
Author Kami Garcia (Beautiful Creatures) and artist Gabriel Picolo,...

Latest Member Reviews

The Shadow Prince (Into the Dark #1)

"MY THOUGHTS This is a very interesting take on mythology and the Persephone myth! I have never read another..."
Nobody

"Claire is no one. Her parents forget she exists. She has no friends, and can't even talk to people on..."

"The Shadow Prince by Bree Despain is a new take on some Greek myths, mostly dealing with the Underworld. Prince..."
BZRK: Reloaded (BZRK #2)

"The BZRK books are like reading a video game – totally exhilarating and leaves you breatheless with nervous energy. The..."

"I was very delighted to learn of Bree Despain’s next paranormal series, and the fact that it is based on..."
White Space (The Dark Passages #1)

"When I saw The White Space up for review, I hit request as a reflex - I just HAD TO..."
Infinityglass (Hourglass #3)

"PREFACE: After reading and falling in love with the Hourglass world and its characters, I was excited to finish the..."
Timepiece (Hourglass #2)

"PREFACE: I loved Myra McEntire's debut novel, Hourglass, so of course I was going to read the sequel, Timepiece. And..."

"From the first few moments of Infinityglass, it's clear that this is going to be a different sort of story..."
BZRK: Reloaded (BZRK #2)

"The BZRK books are like reading a video game – totally exhilarating and leaves you breatheless with nervous energy. The..."
BZRK (BZRK #1)

"The thing about BZRK I liked the most is the world-building. Yes, it is not exactly a fantasy nor a..."
The Mephisto Kiss (The Mephisto Covenant #2)

"When I had read The Redemption of Ajax, I wasn’t so sure about the series you know. It was a..."
Monsters (The Ashes Trilogy #3)

"Ashes, Shadows and Monsters – this trilogy has been a roller coaster ride of emotions for me. I have never..."
Shadows (Ashes Trilogy #2)

"With the way Ashes was, I knew Shadows was going to be good, or even better. Ilsa Bick sure didn’t..."

"What I loved: Once again, Myra McEntire takes readers on a fast-paced, smart, funny, and romantic ride. I..."
Notes From Ghost Town

"The story starts of with Olivia and Lucas-best friends, being cute and flirty, which escalated into a make-out session. Olivia..."

"Last year I was introduced to the wonderful Hourglass series! I fell in love with Michael and Emerson's story in..."

"This...is a really hard review to write. I utterly adore this series. It's kind of seeped into my life,..."

"What I Loved: McEntire is back with her feisty, witty, and at times wildly inappropriate characters. This time,..."
Contaminated (Contaminated #1)

"When I first picked up Contaminated, it sounded like the average run of the mill zombie book. And don't..."