Review Detail

Kids Fiction 1059
A Sweet and Soothing Story
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

'Mr. Moon,' written and illustrated by Michael Paraskevas, is a soothing read about what the moon does while out at night. The way the story says goodbye to the sun in the beginning and welcomes it back at the end serves as nice bookends to a sweet story. The illustrations will heighten children's appreciation of the tale, from the moon wearing a nightcap, to the stars, sheep, clouds, insects, animals, and sounds that populate the night. Even though it is dark out and silence would seemingly abound, there is much to be done under the light of the moon. The fact that the moon has a face makes it even nicer that it is enjoying the work it must do to turn night into day. As the sun resumes its place high above the ground, the moon yawns and rests until its work begins once more, which creates a nice potential discussion of how teamwork really does make the world go round.

The colors and attention to detail on each two-page spread will engage and enlighten young readers, as well as their parents. Night changing to day and day to night are ideas that are taken for granted, but Paraskevas highlights how there is much to be done to make the transition smooth, and the average person might just see magic happen if they stay up to wish on a shooting star or try to see if the cow will really jump over the moon. 'Mr. Moon' is a whimsical read that dares readers to consider what is actually happening in the moonlight and how to take part in it until daylight once again sets in.

Even though the story is solid and incorporates unique ideas, it didn't hold the interest of my three-year-old quite as much as some other books; however, he did enjoy pointing at each picture and stating what it was. The illustrations made up for where the story was slightly lacking.
Good Points
The colors and attention to detail on each two-page spread will engage and enlighten young readers, as well as their parents.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Count to LOVE! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Cuddle up with your little one and get ready to...
The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
THE MYSTERY OF THE MEANEST TEACHER: A JOHNNY CONSTANTINE GRAPHIC...

0.0 (0)
A shocking thriller about a group of friends who go...
Bird Boy

0.0 (0)
Take flight in this heartwarming story about a boy who...
Love You By Heart

0.0 (0)
Acclaimed creator of The Word Collector, Happy Dreamer, Say Something,...
Fa-La-La Llama (Touch-and-Feel Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Get ready to deck the halls with these joyful, singing,...
Our Way Back to Always

0.0 (0)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before meets Morgan Matson...
The Last Gate of the Emperor

0.0 (0)
From Kwame Mbalia and Prince Joel David Makonnen comes an...
Traitors Among Us

0.0 (0)
World War II may be over. But two sisters are...
The Devil Makes Three

0.0 (0)
When Tess and Eliot stumble upon an ancient book hidden...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Liar's Room

0.0 (0)
This spooky stand-alone from MG horror expert Dan Poblocki is...
Manu: A Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
Set at a magical school for girls, a funny and...
Barakah Beats

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Nimra Sharif has spent her whole life in Islamic...
Cold-Blooded Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #3)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle—twelve-year-old Young Lady of Quality and Victorian amateur detective—is...
How to Get Away with Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #2)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle has no desire to go on a relaxing...

Latest Member Reviews

The Alcazar (The Cerulean, #2)

"THE ALCAZAR wraps up an intriguing YA fantasy duology. The book continues to follow four main characters in alternating points-of-view,..."
The Cerulean

"THE CERULEAN is an intriguing start to a YA fantasy duology. The book begins with Sera, a Cerulean who has..."
The Good Girls

"THE GOOD GIRLS is an enthralling read. The book begins after the disappearance and seeming murder of the police chief's..."
Clown in a Cornfield

"When Quinn and her father move to a tiny town, she's hoping to fit in and finish high school. Kettle..."
Miss Meteor

"Meteor, New Mexico is the site where a meteor crashed years ago. It's also the site of the Miss Meteor..."
Sisters of Sword and Song

"SISTERS OF SWORD AND SONG is an enchanting and lush YA fantasy. The story follows two sisters, Halcyon and Evadne,..."
The Falling in Love Montage

"THE FALLING IN LOVE MONTAGE is a beautiful YA contemporary romance that follows Saoirse (Seer-sha). Saoirse speaks to the reader..."
My Calamity Jane

"What worked: This is a fun paranormal twist on historical figures set in the Wild West of 1876. I loved..."
The State of Us

"THE STATE OF US is a really fantastic YA contemporary romance that follows the children of two political rivals. Dean's..."
The Pioneer

"Joanna, 'Jo', has dreamed of leaving Earth and being a pioneer on a new planet since forever. When a terrible..."
A Constellation of Roses

"I will admit, I went into this book knowing nothing. The cover and title caught my attention, and I'm so..."
Just a Boy and a Girl in a Little Canoe

"JUST A BOY AND A GIRL IN A LITTLE CANOE is a YA contemporary fiction that is primarily about character..."
All Your Twisted Secrets

"Perfect for fans of One of Us is Lying A delightfully twisty page-turner, fans of Karen M. McManus will..."
Clique Bait

"The Story: Chloe is after revenge for what happened the year before to her best friend. She blames the..."
The Upside of Falling

"THE UPSIDE OF FALLING is a YA contemporary romance by Wattpad author Alex Light. The story follows Becca Hart, an..."
The Life Below

"After our mindbending landing on the moon back in 1969, we’ve faltered in our quest to explore space. Mars seems..."
The Life Below

"Naomi can't help but wonder if there was an ulterior motive behind the decision to kick Leo out of the..."
Our Year in Love and Parties

"What I loved: The story was told through the unique lens of four specific events with..."
Dangerous Alliance

"Lady Victoria 'Vicky' Aston has a good life. Her older sister is married to a charming Viscount; her family estate..."
Serpent & Dove

"I’d been hearing about this book on Bookstagram, BookTube, and BookTwitter as an anticipated release for September 2019. And then..."