Review Detail

The 3rd Bionicle Book
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Coming in at 128 pages, this chapter book is the 3rd in the LEGO Bionicle series—tacking lore and backstory onto the existing toys and webisodes.

The action runs high, and the pacing is fairly steady throughout. The island ambiance is almost a character unto itself. Points of view are rotated, giving readers a chance to feel out the individual personalities of each of the Toa: Tahu, Gali, Lewa, and Onua.

It’s recommended for ages 7-10, but I would recommend 8+, as it sometimes waffled in its ability to hold my son’s interest. Part of this is likely due to the depth of the world building—both a strength and drawback to this series. (The names, places, and concepts all came across as unfamiliar and a bit cumbersome to his reading flow.)

This book is likely to be enjoyed best by those who have already read the first two books, and are looking to round out their experience. It can, however, stand alone. (I’m just not certain how much more we might have appreciated it if we’d had the chance to already feel an attachment to the characters before starting this story.)
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
It's Avery's senior year in high school, and she has...
Peppermint Post

0.0 (0)
'Twas the night before Christmas, when the North Pole's Peppermint...
Stolen from the Studio (Case Closed, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lauren Magaziner’s hilarious and high-stakes middle grade series gets a...

0.0 (0)
What's outside Pleasant Grove? Welcome to Pleasant...
The Wizenard Series: Season One

0.0 (0)
Reggie has never felt destined for greatness. He dreams about...

0.0 (0)
He’s a rebel with a cause… to make my...
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

0.0 (0)
The Fast and the Furious meets Transformers in the second...
Bread Lab!

0.0 (0)
It’s a sleepy Saturday morning for most people, but not...
A Thousand No's

0.0 (0)
This empowering picture book teaches readers that even great ideas...
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

0.0 (0)
The hilarious sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller,...
Sharko and Hippo

0.0 (0)
With tongue-twisty wordplay and escalating absurdity, this is a fall-down-funny...
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

0.0 (0)
A LOVE POEM FROM A FATHER TO HIS TWO SONS,...
The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

0.0 (0)
Kings become outcasts and lovers become foes in The Faithless...
Zora's Zucchini

0.0 (0)
The first zucchini of a summer garden is always exciting,...
Libby Loves Science

0.0 (0)
Libby loves science! In this STEM-themed picture book, a companion...
The Hidden Rainbow

0.0 (0)
All the colors of the rainbow are hidden in the...

Latest Member Reviews

Emmie and the Tudor King

"What worked: Fast-paced time travel romp through Tudor England. Readers find out what might have happened if Queen Elizabeth I..."
Stolen Time

"STOLEN TIME by Danielle Rollins is the first book of a YA time travel trilogy. It begins when Ash, a..."
The Wood

"I bought this by impulse. Seeing as this book was primarily a cover-buy, I did not have many expectations..."
Afterimage

"Feedback This book was not what I expected at all. Camryn is the sole survivor of a horrific explosion..."
Invictus

"Feedback While I enjoy sci-fi books I have only read a couple of time traveling books with this one..."
StarPassage Book 3: Honor & Mercy

"This is an excellent series and book 3 doesn't disappoint. Paranormal activity and time traveling teens visit the past while..."
Invictus

"“Invictus” is a fantastic YA sci-fi adventure. I whole-heartedly agree with Revis’s review which says that it’s Firefly as teenagers..."
Fourth World (Iamos Trilogy #1)

"4.5 Stars! Fourth World was an interesting futuristic novel set on Mars. It had elements of mystery, dystopia and..."
The Edge of Forever

"THE EDGE OF FOREVER by Melissa E. Hurst is the first book of a duology set in 2146. It’s a..."
The Last Magician

"The Last Magician was a magical and exciting novel set in 1902 that featured time-travel, magic and gangs in New..."
The Wood

"THE WOOD by Chelsea Bobulski is bound to be the next guiltiest pleasure on the market. Complete with time travel,..."
Invictus

"Time-travelling thieves. Who doesn’t want to read about that? Invictus follows Farway Gaius McCarthy, a wannabe time-traveller who was..."
Invictus

"Invictus was the first book I've read by Ryan Graudin and I'm really glad I gave it a try. The..."
The Girl From Everywhere

"I checked this book out from the Barry-Lawrence Regional Library so I could read and review. This book really..."
The Ship Beyond Time

"Writing a review for this book is definitely bittersweet! The Ship Beyond Time was an incredible sequel, I couldn’t have..."
Saving Hamlet

"After a rough freshman year, Emma is ready to start sophomore year with a new haircut and a, hopefully, new..."
The Girl From Everywhere

"Nix is a time-travelling pirate, she's a crucial member of her father: Captain Slate’s crew. Together they magically travel through..."
The Girl From Everywhere

"The Girl from Everywhere is one of my favorite reads from December. I have one disclaimer that I was immediately..."
Until We Meet Again

"4.5 out of 5 stars! This was a fun and enjoyable novel. I loved the time travel aspect that was..."
The Girl From Everywhere

"I’m really not sure why but I kept on putting this book down for a long time. I guess I..."