Review Detail

How Atlantis Perished
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
After Atlantis Rising and Atlantis in Peril, we find the denizens of the various worlds once again thrown into turmoil. Narkazan has been defeated, but has been held at bay by the Veil, which has recently been destroyed. Promi and his sister Jalady decide that they must retrieve the Starstone in order to keep it safe. It is currently being held by Atlanta, Promi's love. Newlyweds Shangri and Lorno, also fearing for Atlantis' future, contact Promi when Mistwraiths and other creatures threaten their home. They are joined by Graybeard, an entertainer who might prove to be useful... or deadly. When Narkazan and his monsters are on the loose, the Universal Bridge collapses, making it difficult for Promi to venture from the spirit realms to help out when Atlanta is injured. In the end, Promi must make a difficult choice. Can he save those he loves, Atlantis, or the world? If he can't save them all, how will he make the choice?
Good Points
Barron's rich world building evokes classic high fantasy novels such as LeGuin's Earthsea Cycle or Anne Mccaffrey's The Dragonriders of Pern. Both Atlantis and the spirit world are lovingly described, and in between the fights with monsters there are plenty of leisure.y, Hobbit-esque moments with mint tea and honey and cozy hearthsides.

There is never much doubt that Markazan and his minions must perish, or that Atlantis will come to an end, but keeping the fates of the characters up in the air adds a great deal of suspense. Promi and Atlanta's fragile romance is at risk, and Shangri and Lorno must decide how they are going to go forward.

Some unexpected demises occur amidst the heated battles, but in the tradition of Tolkien and Lewis, there is plenty of action to keep the reader moving forward. This three book set is fine alone, or read in conjunction with Barron's other fine work.The covers are appealing, and I can see the set being a great gift for a voracious middle grade fantasy reader.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Monster Hypothesis

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Bohring-home to 453 people, 2,053 alligators, and one...
Where the World Ends

0.0 (0)
Winner of the 2018 Carnegie Medal! New from Michael L....
Carnevil (Monsterstreet #3)

0.0 (0)
“Fast, funny, frightening—and filled with shocks and surprises. These books...
Prophecy Untold (Shadow Realms book 3)

0.0 (0)
Finding out my mother was taken by the demons...
Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut about first love and second...
Six Goodbyes We Never Said

0.0 (0)
Two teens meet after tragedy and learn about love,...
Golden Crown

0.0 (0)
No longer only a warrior. Not just a queen....

0.0 (0)
The first vampire. The last Nephilim. The end...
The Galactic Adventures of Hazel - Gurecoa

0.0 (0)
What is it like to live in 4519 AD...
Batman: Nightwalker (The Graphic Novel)

0.0 (0)
This action-packed graphic novel based on the New York...

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Rose Hemmersbach aspires to break out of small town...
Stuffed

0.0 (0)
Welcome, little one. You have been chosen to join us,...
Merged

0.0 (0)
Seven of our country’s most gifted teens will become Nobels,...
Bury Me

4.7 (1)
No one ever leaves Copper Hollow. It's a town with...
Estranged #2: The Changeling King

0.0 (0)
Enter a world of faerie magic and epic adventure in...
The Edge of the Word (Mightier than the Sword, #2)

0.0 (0)
The exciting follow-up to Mightier Than the Sword, the humorous...

Latest Member Reviews

Frankly in Love

"I love this book so much. I read it pretty much in one sitting because I couldn't put it down!..."
Where the World Ends

"WHERE THE WORLD ENDS is an intriguing historical fiction, based on a true story. The boys of Hirta are sent..."
Bury Me

"In horror books and movies, we often see dolls as the main source of scares( such as Annabelle or Child's..."
Juliet Takes a Breath

"Juliet Takes a Breath is a coming of age story about a Latina lesbian from the Bronx who travels to..."
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

"Fireborne is a fantasy novel set nine years after a bloody uprising against a brutal regime in which the poor..."
Jason & Kyra

N/A
"i am from Italy hello. Can you help me translate? /rardor"
The Galactic Adventures of Hazel - Gurecoa

"THE GALACTIC ADVENTURES OF HAZEL - GURECOA takes place in the far future, where our planet is only vaguely recognizable...."
Batman: Nightwalker (The Graphic Novel)

"BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER (THE GRAPHIC NOVEL) converts the YA novel by Marie Lu into graphic novel format. The plot remains the..."
Adorkable

"ADORKABLE is a book you can easily predict, but the journey is unbelievably delightful. Sally Spitz is a senior in..."
Six Goodbyes We Never Said

"SIX GOODBYES WE NEVER SAID is quite a heavy YA contemporary. We follow Naima and Dew in alternating sections. Naima..."
Wilder Girls

" THIS WAS INCREDIBLE. This book reads like BUTTER...… Moldy, rotten, disgusting butter,..."
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

"After killing a man in Paris, Celine is forced to flee to a different country and finds herself in New..."
The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)

"Guinevere has one role to play when she arrives in Camelot. She has to protect King Arthur with her life...."
Unstoppable Moses: A Novel

"UNSTOPPABLE MOSES is quite an interesting YA contemporary. With dark humor, grief/healing, and guilt/blame, this book takes on some big..."
The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein

"The most amazing thing about classic horror stories is how they still influence many writers today. To read 'the..."
Patron Saints of Nothing

"After learning that his cousin Jun (his best friend and penpal) has died, Jay Reguero heads back to visit his..."
Now Entering Addamsville

"Zora Novak has been accused of a crime she didn't commit. It doesn't help that her family are known as..."
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

"Fireborne is a fantasy novel set nine years after a bloody uprising against a brutal regime in which the poor..."
Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)

"RUTHLESS GODS is dark, atmospheric, and completely enchanting. It was everything I hoped a sequel to WICKED SAINTS would be..."
The Babysitters Coven

"What worked: This is a quirky, humorous at times paranormal novel where a babysitter's club is really a code name..."