Review Detail

Magical tale full of love and friendship
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

With everything that happened in A Sliver of Stardust, Wren has begun to doubt everything. Her ability, and even if she really wants to be there. She has lost faith in what she loved about the stardust in the first place and when she’s called by the council to help cleanse the gateway, she doubts if she’ll even be able to do it. After a betrayal Wren finds herself in the Land of Nod, a strange new world, mysterious and completely different from her own. With the help of a ragtag group of orphans, Wren evades Boggen’s clutches. With a brilliant tale of magic and mystery, Burt has brought much beloved nursery rhymes back to life in a new and creative way.

After finding herself in the Land of Nod with old and new friends, Wren begins to try and find the Outsiders. A mysterious group of people who might help her take down Boggen. The only problem, Outsiders hate anything to do with stardust. After close calls and quick escapes, Wren finds herself on the other side of the wall, making her way to the Outsiders camp. Wren has to use her quick brain and stardust if she wants to survive out in the wild. But not everything is as it seems. Even beyond the wall. And Wren will learn what it takes to fight off Boggen and defeat him once and for all.

Burt has created an amazing character in Wren, who no matter what has not given up. She is a brilliant fighter and does not lose her faith in the people she cares about. Nod is very much a steampunk land and I loved learning more and more about it. We get to see the toll the tainted stardust has been having on this land, and despite the fact that it’s not Wren’s home, she is as willing as ever to help.

Simon is a character who continues to surprise you. His love of animals has him helping Wren in a way she didn’t even think possible. And despite being rivals for most of their life they have quickly become best friends. Burt has kept the rivalry between them but it’s friendly. Wren is brilliant on her own and strong, but Simon brings his own to the table. Their friendship is very much my favorite part of the book. And so many times Simon has rescued Wren.

What left me wanting more

The ending was great, and I am so happy with the way it ended, but I can’t help but feel that it was open ended and I’m not sure if there is going to be more books in this series. I hope there is because I would love to see what Wren can do now, and how she grows as a character.

Overall this world is so imaginative, with villains I would never want to meet. Side note… WHY are children’s villains so much worse than young adult villains?

Burt created a beautiful world full of magic and friendship. Where a young girl has always had the ability she just needed to trust herself. Full of magic and love this beautiful story is one that will have you laughing and completely on the edge of your seat.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Endgame (The Wielders of Arantha Book 3)

0.0 (0)
Go to Mount Calabur. Stand on the Nexus. Win the...
Fae's Promise (Crimes of the Fae)

0.0 (0)
Griffin O’Shea is trapped. Again....
The Lost Prince (The Nihryst Book 2)

0.0 (0)
A mythical healing flower. A fractured kingdom. A curse unbroken....
Instant Karma

0.0 (0)
In New York Times bestselling author Marissa Meyer's young adult...
Put Yourself in My Shoes

0.0 (0)
When Cricket goes for a walk, he finds Ladybug searching...
Selma

0.0 (0)
Selma is asked: What is happiness? ...
Benjamin's Blue Feet

0.0 (0)
A young bird with a flair for discovery and invention...
Pocket Piggies: I Love You!

0.0 (0)
What’s the best thing in the world? I...
Everything Under the Sun

0.0 (0)
Sun’s Reach is in dire peril. The last...
Lizzy Albright and the Attic Window

0.0 (0)
Lizzy Albright, a red-headed, freckle-faced girl from Overland Park, Kansas,...
Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...

Latest Member Reviews

Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas

"Reader reviewed by safia It is the third great book in the Georgia Nicolson series. Funny and fabulous, it..."

"Reader reviewed by linda Georgia Nicholson has all the problems a normal girl has; embarrassing parents (who drag her off..."

"Reader reviewed by Jersey georia is still the girlfriend of a sexgod (robbie) and she cheats on him with Dave..."

"Reader reviewed by iki Another Georgia Nicolson story this time with Red Bottomosity, Angus,Naomi the sex kitten, the Sex God,..."

"Reader reviewed by Chloe O.M.G. At this rate these books will have e laughing till my death! They get better..."

"Reader reviewed by noxzeema This book made me laugh so hard. Georgia is the girlfriend of Robbie, the..."

"Reader reviewed by LJK Georgia is back! And so is Angus, and the Sex God, and Dave the Laugh, and..."

"Reader reviewed by mzblonde I love these books. This is the third in the series and I can't wait to..."

"Reader reviewed by Dylana The confessions of Georgia Nicholson are the best! They keep you laughing nonstop. They are..."

"Reader reviewed by Kristen This was the 3rd book in the Georgia Nicolson series. I liked this on the best...."

"Reader reviewed by lookwhaticando I loved this book because it was a laughout loud YA fiction. I loved how she..."

"Reader reviewed by Heather This Book is a wonderful enterpretation of a teenage girls life. From boys, to beauty, this..."