Review Detail

The Fellowship of Mumbai
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
MISSION MUMBAI by Mahtab Narsimhan is an unexpected and powerful addition to middle grade novels. The story of two boys, it is told from the POV of a white American kid named Dylan Moore. Dylan is, on the surface, the envy of his best friend, Rohit Lal. Dylan's family is privileged and have everything money can buy. Rohit comes from a middle-class family from Mumbai. He's been studying New York, and everything was made possible by the strings-attached funds of his Aunty Anjali. When Rohit returns to India for his cousin's wedding, Dylan comes along for the ride. What Rohit doesn't know is that Dylan's life isn't as perfect as it seems. Dylan might have wealth and comfort, but his parents are going through a difficult patch with talks of separation. Dylan's mother is cold. Dylan's father is a hard man who wants his son to be something he's not. He wants Dylan to be a jock. Meanwhile, Dylan is a reader who loves fantasy worlds like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. He loves photography and is a truly loyal friend. Still, Dylan doesn't feel the love from his parents and loves being with the Lal family.

What I loved: MISSION MUMBAI is a novel with layers. It's a novel about summer travel, and exploring an exotic new world. It's a novel about friendship and family. But it also deals with body image issues in a delicate way. Dylan says he loves two things: photography and food. He tries all of the foods he's given, no matter how strange they are to him. Then, he'll think about what his father wants him to look like or what he should look like, and he'll do jumping jacks or want to walk an extra few minutes in the hot Mumbai sun. It's heartbreaking, but Dylan maintains an upbeat and positive outlook on life and the trip.

Friendship is one of this highlighted themes in MISSION MUMBAI. Narsimhan pairs two boys from opposite worlds, cultures, and social backgrounds. She gives them a friendship that is bound by their love of fantasy and nerdom. Their friendship is put to the test as Dylan dives into life in India, while Rohit rejects his culture. He wants American things--soda, burgers, pizza, TV. Dylan wants samosas, mango lassis, and Bollywood movies. They're each in possession of something the other wants. Rohit wants money because he believes that'll solve his family's woes. Dylan wants the love and unity of Rohit's family. Their bond is severely tested throughout the book, but they're a pair to root for. Together they get into a LOT of trouble, but they come out stronger in the end.

Mahtab Narsimhan tells a story of India from a foreigner's point of view instead of a native. Had the book been told from Rohit's point of view, the book would have been completely different. Indeed, Rohit is painted as a kid who has been spoiled by American culture. He wants to go back to New York. He wants to explore America. He's already lived in India, and so nothing is new to him. Because we see India from Dylan's point of view, we get to experience it from a new lens. Dylan messes up a lot when dealing with life in India. He isn't accustomed to some social boundaries, and nearly gets mauled by a mob when he tries to push a cow out of a blocked road. There's a learning curve for him, and for the reader who might not know anything about Indian culture.

Verdict: MISSION MUMBAI by Mahtab Narsimhan is a fun and exciting exploration of family, friendship, and life in Mumbai. It will have you laughing and crying while rooting for the Fellowship of Dylan and Rohit.

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party

0.0 (0)
A groovy New York Times bestseller! ...
Seneca Element (The Seneca Society Book 2)

0.0 (0)
If you knew that creating singularity between your mind...
Our Year of Love and Parties

0.0 (0)
In this poignant, funny, and romantic novel, four nights...

0.0 (0)
Elemental Manipulation is tricky. Only those with the power can...
The Path Divided

0.0 (0)
Every choice has a consequence. When a magical picture...

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Marlee Stanley joins her two sisters and the...
Shadowscent

0.0 (0)
An Ember in the Ashes meets Indiana Jones in...
Reverie

0.0 (0)
Inception meets The Magicians, except with better wigs and...

0.0 (0)
They call me the Dark Queen… Ryleigh...
Scarred

0.0 (0)
Life leaves you scarred. Love can make you beautiful....

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....
Twisting Minds

0.0 (0)
How can you trust your heart when you can't trust...
The Art of Holding On

0.0 (0)
Life happens, whether you’re ready or not. All you can...
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author Sue Macy offers a fresh and timely account...
Outlawed

0.0 (0)
OUTLANDER meets Robin Hood. Traveling through time...
The Path We Take

0.0 (0)
He’s alone He’s tattooed He’s badly burnt ...

Latest Member Reviews

Sword and Pen (Great Library Book, #5)

"Isn't great to finish a series and feel satisfied? Sword and Pen by Rachel Caine is the final book in..."
Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons #1)

"I snapped this one up because I love Wonder Woman, and I much appreciated Leigh Bardugo's adept writing in Six..."
Our Year in Love and Parties

"What I loved: The story was told through the unique lens of four specific events with..."
Jack Kerouac is Dead to Me

"JACK KEROUAC IS DEAD TO ME is Gae Polisner’s most recent YA Contemporary novel. Like in her other books, she..."
Woven in Moonlight

"Woven in Moonlight is a beautiful and lush fantasy, based on the culture and history of Bolivia. It is set..."
We Are All His Creatures: Tales of P. T. Barnum, the Greatest Showman

"WE ARE ALL HIS CREATURES by Deborah Noyes is a series of eleven short stories about the beloved showman, P.T...."
Jane Anonymous: A Novel

"JANE ANONYMOUS follows two timelines: one while Jane was captured for 7 months and one after she is back home...."
Finding Mr. Better-Than-You

"FINDING MR. BETTER-THAN-YOU starts off like a cheesy romantic comedy, but ends up being a lot more fulfilling light-hearted YA..."
Freaky in Fresno

"FREAKY IN FRESNO is a spin on the old novel, FREAKY FRIDAY. Ricki (nickname for Lyric) had a falling out..."
Only Mostly Devastated

"ONLY MOSTLY DEVASTATED is a charming YA contemporary romance that follows Ollie. Ollie had lived in California, until this year..."
Neffatira's First Challenge

"The descriptions are very beautiful and you can perceive the feelings of the characters to the point of empathy. ..."
Ink in the Blood (Ink in the Blood Duology #1)

"INK IN THE BLOOD is an engaging and atmospheric YA fantasy. Celia Sand was delighted when she was chosen to..."
What I Want You to See

"WHAT I WANT YOU TO SEE is an interesting book that discusses homelessness, choices and their intersection with privilege, as..."
The 47 People You'll Meet in Middle School

"'The 47 People You'll Meet in Middle School' by Kristin Mahoney is an endearing look at an often hard time..."

"The insatiable oasis will hunt down the thieves of this book and tear them apart, limb by limb, devouring their..."
All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)

"ALL THE STARS AND TEETH is an imaginative and lush YA fantasy that transports the reader to a fascinating new..."
Wardens of Eternity

"WARDENS OF ETERNITY follows Ziva, a young woman who was abandoned as a toddler, became a ward of the state,..."
The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)

"THE HAND ON THE WALL is a thrilling conclusion to the TRULY DEVIOUS series. Here, the students are at Ellingham,..."
His Hideous Heart

"WHAT I LOVED: I read various poems and short stories written by Edgar Allen Poe as early..."
The Vanishing Stair

"THE VANISHING STAIR continues the TRULY DEVIOUS plot as Stevie returns to the enigmatic private school, Ellingham. Stevie becomes more..."