Review Detail

Another adventurous Ruby Teach tale
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
After the events of A RIDDLE IN RUBY, Ruby Teach is now in the custody of the man she was running from. He’s placed her in a strange group with young men and women training to become soldiers. While Ruby struggles alone, her father, Athena, and friends are doing their best to find and rescue her, but they face hang-ups of their own. Along the way, both groups find clues to a mystery bigger than they ever expected.
What I Loved:
Once again, Kent Davis amazes with the incredible world building of an alternate colonial Philadelphia. Ruby discovers more about her special skills, and her father and friends are trying to unravel the secrets of a coded journal. This world is a guaranteed delight for young readers who love science and history.
Ruby’s characterization shines. Where she was easily bold and brave before, she now faces tougher challenges and is introduced to her own dark side in unexpected ways. She begins to confront her own definitions of good and bad actions, setting up beautiful potential for the next installment.
What Left Me Wanting More:
While the first book was a continuous stream of fast paced action, THE CHANGER’S KEY takes a slower approach. While this allows for top notch character development for Ruby, the pacing ultimately suffers for it, and portions of the story tend to drag.
As is the case in many sequels, the main characters are separated for the majority of the story, and readers who enjoyed Ruby’s banter with Athena and the overall comradery with her friends won’t find a similar dynamic in this follow up. However, there are several interesting new characters, including one major figure that I hope to see more of in the final book.
Final Verdict:
While THE CHANGER’S KEY is a bit lackluster compared to the first book, the series continues to be complex, engaging, and adventurous. Fans of the series will want the conclusion to Ruby Teach’s story as soon as possible after the breathtaking final scene ends in THE CHANGER’S KEY.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Fisher- Price Fun in the Jungle: Explore, Touch, and Feel

0.0 (0)
Children will love exploring the different textures in this playful...
Glitter Globes: The Night Before Christmas

0.0 (0)
On the night before Christmas, all over the house, not...
Belinda Fellgate: HellCat

0.0 (0)
A contemporary teen fantasy about an inept 14-year-old girl who...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling author...
Music for Tigers

0.0 (0)
Shipped halfway around the world to spend the summer...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. ...
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lira and Reyker have lost everything. Including each other....
Sword of the Seven Sins

0.0 (0)
Eva Marteinn never wanted to be a killer. Raised...
Things That Should Stay Buried

0.0 (0)
Some destinies are written in the stars. Others must...
How It All Blew Up

0.0 (0)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda goes to Italy...
Horrid

0.0 (0)
From the author of You Must Not Miss comes...
Tsalix Silverthorn and the Scepter of Destiny

0.0 (0)
The latest phenomenal work from New York Times Bestselling author...

Latest Member Reviews

What Unbreakable Looks Like

"WHAT UNBREAKABLE LOOKS LIKE is a story of healing after human trafficking. Alexa, who has been called Poppy while under..."
On Snowden Mountain

"ON SNOWDEN MOUNTAIN is a heavy historical middle grade read, which deals with depression, alcoholism, war, domestic abuse/violence, and child..."
Riverland

"RIVERLAND is a riveting and complex middle grade magical realism novel. Eleanor and her sister, Mike (nickname, everyone except their..."
Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale

"UNDER THE MOON brings us into the teenage years of Selina Kyle, who will eventually become Catwoman. Selina has a..."
Brawler

"Eddie McGuire is a talented high school wrestler with a horribly short fuse. This is no doubt a result of..."
Loser's Bracket

"Annie is a high school senior who has a lot of family problems. Her bio mom, Nancy, lost custody some..."
Where I Live

"Where I Live has won its place in my all-time favorite YA Contemporary books list and I don't think I'll..."
Girl on the Brink

"KIRKUS REVIEWS: A debut novel shows that abusive relationships can occur in upper-middle-class suburban towns involving victims smart enough to..."
Not After Everything

"Tyler had it all: a hot girlfriend, football scholarship to Standford, plenty of friends. He was king of the school..."
Not After Everything

"What I Loved: Tyler starts out as exactly the kind of uber macho, woman-disrespecting punk no girl wants anything..."
Hopeless (Hopeless #1)

"Holy hell. You know how most books are so predictable that you are just waiting for the words to..."
Please Ignore Vera Dietz

"Please Ignore Vera Dietz is one of the more uniquely crafted tales I've read. First of all, the bulk of..."