Review Detail

Wandmaker FeaturedHot
Kids Fiction 5531
An awesome story of good vs evil
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Wandmaker is an adventure packed book filled with family, friends and magic. After several attempts to get his wand to work Henry writes a letter to Coralis the author of his guidebook, unknowingly setting off a series of events that will change his life forever. Henry comes from two great lines of Wandbarers and he himself has great magic within him. Told in alternate points of views this is a story so brilliantly woven together, you would swear the author has a bit of magic himself.

What I loved:
This novel is told from multiple points of view, and while in some stories this is hard to follow, Ed makes it work really well. We don't get lost or confused. Not to mention getting inside the heads of all the different characters, Henry especially, is something I am huge fan of. While I feel the story focused more on Henry, his budding powers, and his relationships, there was still a good balance for those looking for a bit more action. Henry and Brianna's relationship was among my favorites to see developed. We see them going from normal sibling rivalry to working as a team. The bond between them growing even stronger and is something I will be very excited to see in later books. Coralis Henry's mentor and the author of the guide book, is a crotchety old man who will make you laugh with his bizarre cursing (children appropriate), and his lack of knowledge about the world. His relationship with Henry is something I really enjoyed. His duty to protect the world brought him out of seclusion, but his relationship with Henry and the love they share makes him continue to stay.

What left me wanting more:
The questions left me wanting more. What can Henry do? Just how powerful is he? I would like to see what Brianna can do as well. And what are the different levels of Wandbarers?

Final Verdict:
The fast paced movement of the novel, all the while giving us adequate character development, and beautiful family/friend relationships is definitely just part of the reason I would recommend this to young readers who love fantasy, magic and family bonds. This story had a bit of everything from giant squirrels, to a bird who carries a backpack that will make even the non-readers jump on board with this story.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Personalized Notebook Doodles Adorable Pets Coloring Book

0.0 (0)
From hamsters and hermit crabs to cats and canaries, you'll...
The Last Summer

0.0 (0)
For the first eleven years of their lives, neighbors Lila...
The Falling in Love Montage

0.0 (0)
Two girls embark on a summer of montage-worthy dates (with...
Super Puzzletastic Mysteries: Short Stories for Young Sleuths from Mystery Writers of America

0.0 (0)
Bestselling author Chris Grabenstein and the Mystery Writers of America...
Beauty Mark: A Verse Novel of Marilyn Monroe

0.0 (0)
In a powerful novel in verse, an award-winning author offers...

0.0 (0)
Anger, hurt, and rejection threaten Joshua’s ability to save the...

0.0 (0)
Bernita, a teenager from a prominent South American family, knows...

0.0 (0)
How do you fix a computer glitch that disappears before...
Hope in the Mail: Reflections on Writing and Life

0.0 (0)
Part writing guide and part memoir, this inspiring book from...
Daniela and the Pirate Girls

0.0 (0)
Who hasn’t heard of the legendary vessel, the Black Croc!...
Child of Galaxies

0.0 (0)
Your body was made from the stuff of the stars,...
Shy Ones

0.0 (0)
He's not the type to stand out. In fact, unless...
You Brought Me the Ocean

0.0 (0)
The voices that shaped LGBTQ Young Adult literature, Lambda Award-Winning...
The Most Dangerous Place on Earth

0.0 (0)
In an idyllic community of wealthy California families, new teacher...
Slamdown Town

0.0 (0)
Ollie and his older brother, Hollis, have wrestling in their...
The Speed of Starlight: An Exploration of Physics, Sound, Light, and Space

0.0 (0)
A contemporary exploration of physics, light, and sound told through...

Latest Member Reviews

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair

"Set somewhere around a year after the events of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Eustace Scrubb remains much better..."
Before I Fall

"Love this book! One of my favorites."
Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice

"This is a collection of brief biographies of people who stood up and resisted injustices and tyranny. There's a little..."
Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

""Beastly" is a beautiful and amazing story of second chances, the importance of who you are within, and love. A..."
Abhorsen (Abhorsen #3)

"Picking up right where book #2’s cliffhangery ending left off, Garth Nix brings us the satisfying conclusion to his Abhorsen..."
Monster (Gone #7)

"I have loved all the books in the gone series and this one is no exception. Kept me entertained until..."
Monster (Gone #7)

"Let me start by saying that while this is the seventh (yes, seventh!) book in a series, I haven't ever..."
Fresh off the Boat

"Happy Philippine Independence Day! This is the reason why I picked up this book. June 12 is the day..."
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1)

"This fast paced, action packed series is focused on the world that is filled with a variety of faeries that..."
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia #1)

"I loved this series as a child, rereading these a number of times. I liked the first book, The Magician's..."
Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

"Yeay! I finished the book! I have to admit, I decided to read this book again because of all the..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

DA Dragon Authors
"I (Erin) bought this one as a “blind date” from Malaprops. They wrap books in brown paper and write things..."
Enzo's Very Scary Halloween

"Enzo (dog) and Zoe (human) are both gearing up for Halloween in Garth Stein’s ENZO’S VERY SCARY HALLOWEEN. The story..."
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1)

"I remember reading this when it first came out, it was everything I was looking for in a book, great..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

"I love this series more than life itself. Georgia is hilarious and someone we can all relate to. Non-stop..."
Coraline

"I still can’t believe that a novel such as Coraline is marketed and written for children. I was, frankly, terrified..."
Enzo's Very Scary Halloween

"Enzo's Very Scary Halloween is a cute children's book that tells the story of an adorable puppy named Enzo and..."
Absolute Brightness

KK Karen Klein
" I think there were many side tangents that were not important to the story and just didn’t seem to..."

"Note: this review is for the Vampire Kisses omnibus containing books 1-3. In this omnibus containing the first..."

"Johnny loves his job as a teen stuntman, even if it means filling in for Ricky Corvette and not being..."