Review Detail

Kids Fiction 1414
Epic Pranks and Revenge
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Adam is a fan of the well-turned practical joke, and he has a ready target-- Hill Parmer is a stereotypical mean bully, and his father is the middle school principal. When Hill plays "hide 'n seek" with Perk's developmentally disabled brother Tommy and leaves him sobbing in a locked supply closet, the two friends vow revenge. Hacking into the school database, they locate three others who have reason to hate Hill: Ray, who looks like he has more muscles than brains; Pearl, a violin prodigy who once dated Hill; and Dutch, who has a facial tic and has been mercilessly teased about it by Hill. Since the teachers in the school have proven ineffective in stopping Hill's reign of terror, since Mr. Parmer threatens to give them bad performance reviews which could cause them to lose their jobs, the gang thinks hard about what they could do, and decide at first that putting the principal's beloved 1966 Shelby Cobra on the roof of the school. They run into difficulties not only in coming up with a good prank, but also in their personal lives. Pearl's parents decide to get a divorce, Dutch's custodial grandfather is sinking into dementia, Ray's brothers and father don't understand how smart he is and expect him to join their auto body shop, and Perk has to care for Tommy since his parents are too busy to. In the end, the group must content themselves with setting it up to look like Hill has auctioned the beloved car off as a fundraiser for Tommy's school unit, which is underfunded because Parmer has been rearranging the budget so that other areas get the money meant for the multiple handicap unit. As a result, Hill is sent to a military camp instead of the camp he wants to attend.
Good Points
Readers who enjoy Rylander's The Fourth Stall or Ferraiolo's The Big Splash series or books where students get the better of the school staff such as Barnett's The Terrible Two, Griff Carver: Hallway Patrol, The Great Greene Heist, or I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President will find a lot of humor in this improbable tale of revenge.

I really enjoyed how responsible most of the characters were. Even though Perk got tired of having to pick Tommy up from school, he clearly loved his brother and went out of his way to make sure that Tommy was safe and had a good day. Adam wants to get revenge, but decides that it's important that no one get hurt and no property gets damaged. Dutch tries very hard to take care of his grandfather, even though he clearly needs someone to take care of him. Ray works at his father's business without complaint, and Pearl is worried that her parents are divorcing because of something she has done.

That said, if I gave this book to a middle grade reader, I would want to make sure that I followed up with some conversations about what does and doesn't happen in real middle schools. I can't imagine that a principal as evil as Mr. Parmer would continue to be employed. Hill would not be able to get away with terrorizing his fellow students, even if his father was the principal. I also doubt that the school servers are secured so poorly that students can change grades and look up sensitive information about other students. While this sort of detail is used to be humorous, it would be alarming if it actually happened, and readers should understand that there is a difference between how schools are depicted in fiction and how they really should work.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Dugout: The Zombie Steals Home

0.0 (0)
Twins Stacy and Gina Cavallaro are on rival little league...
The Fountains of Silence

0.0 (0)
Madrid, 1957. Under the fascist dictatorship of General Francisco...
Dinosnores (Boynton on Board)

0.0 (0)
“Honk SHOOOOOO! Honk SHOOOOOO! . . .” ...
Good Day, Good Night

0.0 (0)
Now in a sturdy board book format, perfect for little...
TBH, This May Be TMI (TBH, #2)

0.0 (0)
Told entirely in text messages, the second book in this...
Creep

0.0 (0)
The haunting tale of a family that moves into...
Girl at Heart

0.0 (0)
As the daughter of a successful Major League pitcher,...
The Last of the Firedrakes

0.0 (0)
She never felt like she belonged…until magic pulled her...
Crown of Oblivion

0.0 (0)
In this mesmerizing YA fantasy mash-up of The Road...
When the Stars Lead to You

0.0 (0)
Nicola Yoon meets Jenny Han in a heated first-love...

0.0 (0)
Disturbing dreams are nothing new for Kyra. But when her...
I've Loved You Since Forever

0.0 (0)
New York Times #1 Bestseller! ...
My Baby Loves Christmas

0.0 (0)
In the My Baby Loves Christmas board book, celebrate all...
Riverland

0.0 (0)
When things go bad at home, sisters Eleanor and Mike...
The Return of the Dragon Queen

0.0 (0)
The epic conclusion of The Avalonia Chronicles is here ....

0.0 (0)
How far will you go to save magic? Dad’s...

Latest Member Reviews

Dugout: The Zombie Steals Home

"Gina and Stacy are twins who play for rival baseball teams. This flows off the field into intense and sometimes..."
Dinosnores (Boynton on Board)

"DINOSNORES is another absolutely charming and delightfully ridiculous board book from Sandra Boynton. Here, the dinosaurs get ready for bed,..."
Good Day, Good Night

"GOOD DAY, GOOD NIGHT follows a bunny on his journey from sun-up to sunset, as he travels around town, plays..."
TBH, This May Be TMI (TBH, #2)

"TBH, THIS MAY BE TMI is the second in a contemporary middle grade series, though it can easily function as..."
I've Loved You Since Forever

"This gorgeous board book celebrates the parent-child bond in an absolutely stunning way. I'VE LOVED YOU SINCE FOREVER suggests that..."
My Baby Loves Christmas

"Babies and toddlers will love the colorful celebration of Christmas in this delightful board book. MY BABY LOVES CHRISTMAS is..."
Riverland

"RIVERLAND is a riveting and complex middle grade magical realism novel. Eleanor and her sister, Mike (nickname, everyone except their..."
Christmas Cheer for The Grouchy Ladybug

"CHRISTMAS CHEER FOR THE GROUCHY LADYBUG talks about everything exciting Christmas has to offer. There's snowflakes, fires, bells, presents, stockings,..."
Under the Snow

"When you see snow, you think of how pretty it is or how cold it is. UNDER THE SNOW opens..."
Laugh-Out-Loud Halloween Jokes: Lift-the-Flap

"LAUGH OUT LOUD HALLOWEEN JOKES is full of cute jokes that are perfect for children aged four and up. The..."
Little Tigers

"After hearing humans and their dogs nearby, Mother Tiger knows it's time for them to find somewhere safer to live...."
Explorer Academy Codebreaking Activity Adventure

"Fans of the Explorer Academy series won't want to miss out on this Codebreaking Activity Adventure. Enter into Explorer Academy..."
One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller

"ONE FOX counts from one to ten in a thrilling way. The fox is hunting for some food and he..."
Odd Dog Out

"In a busy city of normal dogs, there's one that stands out. She does her own thing and dresses her..."
Pete the Kitty Goes to the Doctor

"'Pete the Kitty Goes to the Doctor' by Kimberly & James Dean is a great addition to any child's “I..."
Bach to the Rescue!!!

"'Bach to the Rescue!!!' by Tom Angleberger, illustrated by Elio, is a cute and comedic story about a rich dude..."
Trees: A Rooted History

"When I was a little girl there were only a few books that I drug around with me to stare..."
The Hideout

"The artistry and illustrations in The Hideout are dreamlike, painting a picture of your favorite park and woodland location hidden..."
Dog and Rabbit

"DOG AND RABBIT is a charming tale of friendship. Told in four parts, the book introduces Dog and then Rabbit...."
Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)

"I never wanted to be a superhero as a child, but I wanted to do heroic things. Tristan Strong epitomizes..."