Review Detail

A literary, adventurous treat
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Max Starling, or Mister Max – Solutioneer, has a big problem. He discovers his parents are being held, possibly against their will, posing as an Andesian King and Queen. But how to get there with the resources he will need, a team he can trust to get the job done, and get out without more people becoming prisoners? Now, that’s a big job for a young Solutioneer. But Max will do anything to get his parents back.

When I picked up MISTER MAX: THE BOOK OF KINGS, the final installment of The Mister Max series by Cynthia Voigt, I knew it had to be amazing since it had the Newbery Medalist noted under the author’s name. The writing of Mister Max is positively gorgeous. It has a grand, sweeping vibe that reminds me of literary classics. A timeless writing style that will never lose its beauty.

The characters of Mister Max add to its timelessness. Max is our main character, though the story is told from a couple points of view. Though he is shy of his teen years, Max is incredibly wise. Most take him for being older. His taller-than-average stature also makes him seem older. Despite this, Max is much like any other preteen. Well, any other preteen with an uncanny talent for solving problems and sticky situations.

Max is the kind of character who urges you to settle in like a comfy blanket and warm fire. He has an ease about him that spills out of the pages and just makes you feel good. His quick wit and smart banter remind you he’s a kid, and his determination to be independent and self-sufficient speaks of an older person. The supporting characters add to this. Maybe its their trust in him, or their unwavering belief that he will do what needs to be done, but they all bring out the best in Max. Actually, it’s through these relationships that you see what an amazing character he is. Like most boys his age, he forgets that he’s just a kid and sometimes needs the help of an adult. Max’s spunky sidekick—or Solutioneer in training—Pia, Grammie, King Teodor, the Andesians, and the aloof artist, Joachim are just a few of the characters who reveal something new about Max we didn’t know or realize before.

Because of the sweeping nature of the writing, I found the pace to be slower than most middle grade books. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. As I noted, the writing is quite lovely. Readers who enjoy a slow-building adventure full of smart dialogue and heavy doses of mystery will find treasures in the Mister Max books. Just as I did. Unraveling the mystery as to what happened to Max’s parents along with Max was immensely enjoyable.

If you’re looking for a fast-paced epic adventure, this is not your series. But! If you enjoy a slow burning, intelligent adventure full of relatable personalities, colorful backdrops, suspense and intrigue, as well as a dash of danger, then Mister Max will be more than happy to take your case.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Look Both Ways

0.0 (0)
This story was going to begin like all the best...
Ashes (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #3)

5.0 (1)
"The truth was, I wasn’t on anyone’s side except Claire’s....
Fire (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #2)

0.0 (0)
After being killed by demons, former angel Adam wakes up...
Spark (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #1)

5.0 (1)
"It came out of nowhere. A sweep of emotions. Love,...
The Twin

0.0 (0)
After their parents divorced, 10-year-old twins Ivy and Iris were...
Devil Darling Spy

0.0 (0)
It's 1940, and Sarah Goldstein is hiding in plain sight...
The Life Below

4.0 (1)
It was hard enough for Naomi to leave Leo, a...
Mr Penguin and the Fortress of Secrets (Mr Penguin #2)

0.0 (0)
Meet Mr. Penguin―Adventurer (And Penguin!) When Mr. Penguin...
Famous by Default

0.0 (0)
Jax Buried, By my family's fame. Dying to escape...
Sword and Pen (Great Library Book, #5)

0.0 (0)
With the future of the Great Library in doubt,...
Butterfly Yellow

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo, Ibi Zoboi, and...
Jonny Lambert's Construction Site

0.0 (0)
A beautifully illustrated book for babies featuring lots of noisy...
Pop-Up Peekaboo! Baby Animals

0.0 (0)
Take your toddler on a rain forest adventure and find...
Seven Deadly Shadows

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Kira Fujikawa has never had it easy. She’s...
Pet
Pet

0.0 (0)
The highly-anticipated, genre-defying new novel by award-winning author Akwaeke...
Gray (The Wings Trilogy, #3)

0.0 (0)
The long anticipated finale to the Wings Trilogy. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Fire (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #2)

N/A
"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com for Urgent effective love Spell to get..."
Spark (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #1)

"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com for Urgent effective love Spell to get..."
Ashes (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #3)

"This is a beautiful book—both in how it is designed and how it is written. The prose is lyrical, yet..."
Roman and the Hopeless Romantic (Gulf City High)

"Best friends….secret love….y’all Michelle MacQueen put my two favorite tropes into one incredibly sweet story. Roman and the Hopeless Romantic..."
Adeline's Aria

" The Story: Addie has an obsession with British rocker Jude, but it's just a fan..."

"Another chilling story from L.V. Pires. This one started out with the main character from Book 1, Casey, fighting an..."
Ghosting You

"Reviewed for YA Books Central A heartwarming love story. The Story: Tommy..."
A Pain Less Ordinary

"A Pain Less Ordinary is a tragic tale of a modern girl whose family has fallen apart. Becca struggles to..."
The Waiting Mortuary

"I'm not normally one to read horror fiction, but I thought I'd give this book a chance and was blown..."

"After Cassie witnesses the murder of her mother, she develops anxiety over just about everything. She doesn't talk to anyone..."
Seneca Lake

"Meg lives in a small town in upstate NY (outside Ithaca) in the later years of WWII. She is torn..."

"In the first book, we were introduced to Jesse’s sister, Cassie, and his best friend, Roman. After witnessing their mother’s..."
First Earth: Book One in the Arch Mage Series

""Agnes' journey not only kept me turning pages, but pulled me into the journey of self-discovery right along with her...."
Jesse and the Ice Princess (Gulf City High)

"It’s no secret that I love Michelle’s books, and this is such a fantastic start to a new series! I..."
Jesse and the Ice Princess (Gulf City High)

"Charlotte-or Charlie-loves both hockey and figure skating. However, she knows she can't do both and has already chosen to pursue..."
The Subjects, Aim

"First and foremost, Aim accomplishes what any good sci-fi sets out to do. It thoroughly explores the concepts of humanity..."
Of Water and Moonlight

"Maddie is a Hawthorne sister and is known for performing a spell against the Ancients. If the stares of her..."
Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

"When her sister Luna is killed, Hua wants nothing more than to get revenge. Taking her father's place, she joins..."
Heart of Mist

"The story: Bleak is a drunken thief who is desperately trying to find a way to cure herself from..."