Review Detail

Adventure on the frozen tundra
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Jack and Annie are sent back to the Alaskan Territory in 1925, along with two kinds of magic powders: one will give them super skills that will help them with their mission, and the other will make everyone forget that they were there. They soon find out why they have been sent. They meet Oki, whose mother and sister are ill with diphtheria, and the medicine that they need has been delayed. Oki, whose uncle has sled dogs, is determined to set off to meet the dog sled teams that are delivering the medicine, but a bad storm is coming and his uncle does not want him to go. Jack and Annie use their magic powder to give them the knowledge and skill they need to become expert "mushers", and they take off. They manage to find Balto and Gunnar Kaasen just in time for him to discover that the package with the serum is missing. They find the package, and the delivery is made in time. Once they are sure that all is well, they travel back to Frog Creek and are glad to be warm!
Good Points
The Magic Tree House books have been around for a very long time, and are a great introduction to a variety of historical events for beginning readers. They cover the basics, but I appreciate when they delve a little into some of the controversies: after reading Klimo's Togo, I knew that there were some issues with whether or not Balto was the dog who deserves the most acclaim. That is addressed briefly while still acknowledging that many dogs and mushers worked hard to avert catastrophe.

Jack and Annie always dive right into whatever adventure is handed to them, and these books are a fantastic way to get historical content to beginning readers. Be careful, though-- one Magic Treehouse book is never enough!
A definite purchase for all elementary libraries, and a series which also does well with my struggling 6th grade readers. I appreciate that the cover style has remained the same over the past 23 years! I wonder if there will be a big party for the 25th anniversary in July of 2017?
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

American Betiya

0.0 (0)
A luminous story of a young artist grappling with first...
The Story Blanket

0.0 (0)
Babba Zarrah lives in a tiny village in the snow-covered...
Now That Night is Near

0.0 (0)
It's bedtime, and across the land everyone is settling down...
Mommy Loves You

0.0 (0)
With heart-shaped lift-the-flaps and a surprise mirror at the end,...
Calm Bunny (Yoga Tots)

0.0 (0)
Charming illustrations and step-by-step instructions take little ones through a...
The Problem with Pierre

0.0 (0)
The differences between Bertram and his neighbor Alan were never...
Noisy Tractor (I Can Learn)

0.0 (0)
Children will love to press the soft, silicone buttons on...
Ravage the Dark (Scavenge the Stars, #2)

0.0 (0)
Step into an opulent world filled with risk, romance, and...
Phoebe Unfired

0.0 (0)
CONNECTING IS TOUGH WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN TOUCH ...
Thirty Talks Weird Love

0.0 (0)
A 13-year-old girl growing up in Mexico is visited by...
Admission

0.0 (0)
Lie. Cheat. Bribe. How far would you go to get...
Running

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Cuban American Mariana Ruiz’s father runs for president,...
City of Spells (Into the Crooked Place, #2)

0.0 (0)
City of Spells, the follow-up to Alexandra Christo's gritty YA...
Christmas Parade

0.0 (0)
A delightful Christmas board book filled with hilarious characters and...
Best Friend in the Whole World

0.0 (0)
Roland lives a quiet life filled with books, music, and...
Bird Show

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author-illustrator Susan Stockdale welcomes you to the Bird Show,...

Latest Member Reviews

My Best Friend Prince Charming

"‘My Best Friend Prince Charming’ by Cindy Ray Hale tells the story of Ryker and Shannon, two best friends who..."
The Fire in the Glass

"Lily can see the future and when she sees her friend killed, she tries to save her. Lily is an..."
Anchored

"Unlike anything I've read before. The Story: Alora is of two worlds. During her..."
The Curse of Jenny Greene

"I should start by saying The Curse of Jenny Greene is far from my normal genre preferences. I’m not usually..."
Emmie and the Tudor Queen

"This sequel resolved a lot of questions I had that weren’t answered in the first book like where did the..."
The Reclaimed Kingdom (The Syphon Series, Book 1)

"I’m a new fan of Dana Claire as I recently read “The Connection” and loved it. While I eagerly..."
Sleeping Beauty's Spindle

"Briar Rose hasn't had any easy life. After losing her parents, she's struggling to keep her siblings together as a..."
The First Holidays

"A sweet and perfect novella to go with this series. The Story: Four best..."
The Connection

"I’ll cut to the chase before I delve into a more detailed review; I loved this book! I binge-read The..."
The Parkour Club

" The Parkour Club is a rollicking good read! Bronte’s journey to find her place in the world..."
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

"I don't know how this series keeps getting better, but it does. This third book is just... so much happens..."
The Tempest Sea

"This book... oof. It hurt. But if you know me at all, you know my favorite books are the kind..."
The Fractured Empire

"This book grabbed me from the very beginning, throwing me into this beautifully-crafted, intriguing new world. The plot is fast-paced..."
My High School Royal Boyfriend

"'My High School Royal Boyfriend' by Kylie Key follows new River Valley High students Blaire and Alex, as they try..."
Born at Dawn

"BORN AT DAWN is an upper YA fantasy full of adventure - the main character is half human and half..."
Born Royal

"As a girl, Vi suffered various forms of torture from her mom and she was the equivalent to a lab..."
The Lost Prince (The Nihryst Book 2)

"THE LOST PRINCE opens up where the first one left off. Ada is with Lee searching for a cure to..."
Edge of Light

"This book literally starts out with a bang as multiple meteorites strike cities across the earth at the same time,..."
The Runaway (Barrett Boys #1)

"Annie lives in a small town where everyone knows everything about each other. She is usually the subject of the..."
My High School Rebel Boyfriend

"A cute story. The story: My High School Rebel Boyfriend stars a high school senior, Harper,..."