Review Detail

The Marvels Featured
Kids Fiction 2539
A marvelous story
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

What I Loved:
THE MARVELS is one of the most unique books I've ever read. When I first picked it up, I thought the illustrations would be interspersed throughout the novel like I was used to. However, the first part of the story is told entirely through pictures. This was so different from what I usually read that at first I felt a bit unmoored, but I quickly got over that feeling as I was pulled into the story. The illustrations are so well done that one doesn't need words. The illustrations start with Billy Marvel in 1766 and then it rolls through time and subsequent generations, all painting this complex and intriguing picture of the Marvel family.

The second part of the story is about Joseph, a young boy who runs away to his estranged uncle's home in London. I loved their burgeoning relationship. You can feel the connection between the two as Joseph uncovers more about his uncle's life and house. The reader can't help but try to solve the mystery alongside Joseph. I have to admit, I was pretty surprised when the twist was revealed! I thought it was going to go a different way.

The Final Verdict:
THE MARVELS is a beautifully-woven, heartbreaking story about family, love, loss, and finding where you belong.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
It is twenty years since the events of La Belle...
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

0.0 (0)
The first book in an epic and romantic YA series...
Winter Light

0.0 (0)
WINTER LIGHT is the story of 15-year-old Mary Donahue...
Talent

0.0 (0)
Sandee Mason is convinced her life will change if she...
WITHIN THE FOLDS OF A SWAN'S WINGS

0.0 (0)
What if the one element that has always defined you...
The Good Girls

0.0 (0)
One of Us Is Lying meets Sadie in this twisty,...
Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Iduna harbors a dark secret. On the surface, she...
All our Hidden Gifts

0.0 (0)
Maeve’s strangely astute tarot readings make her the talk of...

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Cassie needs a horse. She’s determined to move up...
A Higher Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 9)

0.0 (0)
Just when everything seems to be perfect, it all falls...
A Happier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 8)

0.0 (0)
Two guys. One girl. A big confusing mess. ...
A Healthier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 7)

0.0 (0)
She broke his heart. Will he ever forgive her? ...
A Steadier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 6)

0.0 (0)
He wants her back, but she’s already taken. ...
A Stronger Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 5)

0.0 (0)
Can new love heal old wounds? I want...
A Smarter Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 4)

0.0 (0)
Can she keep him, or will his ex steal him...
A Bolder Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 3)

0.0 (0)
When the truth is uncovered, the bullies come out to...

Latest Member Reviews

The Book Thief

"This book was so good that I cried in the end. Yes, literally. Markus Zusak's writing is clear, bold, and..."
A Cloud of Outrageous Blue

"A CLOUD OF OUTRAGEOUS BLUE is a historical fiction read that takes the reader to 1348-1349. Edyth grew up with..."
The Summoner (Zora and Me, #3)

"ZORA AND ME: THE SUMMONER transports the reader to Eatonville, the first incorporated Black township in Florida, in the early..."
The Black Kids

"THE BLACK KIDS is a really poignant read that ties history to the present. Ashley is a senior in high..."
Roaring

"ROARING takes place in the 1920s- with a twist. Monsters, sirens, minotaurs, basilisks, and more, exist, and they are woven..."
Jo & Laurie

"Jo March is surprised at how well her novel LITTLE WOMEN has done. Now her publisher and readers want a..."
Finder, Coal Mine Dog

"Thomas' father perished in a mining accident, so when his mother became ill and died, he ended up with his..."
Watermark (The Broken Bell, #1)

"WATERMARK is a dark historical (takes place in the 1990s) suspense. The book follows Jeannine, Angel's sister, and Alex, her..."
We Dream of Space

"WE DREAM OF SPACE is a highly engaging middle grade historical fiction. The book follows three siblings, Cash, Fitch, and..."
The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones

"THE INVINCIBLE SUMMER OF JUNIPER JONES is a heart-wrenching YA historical novel that takes place primarily in 1955. Ethan is..."
Blood Countess (Lady Slayers)

"Visually, this book is a gorgeous work of art, splattered with blood from cover to cover. For those familiar with..."
The Paper Girl of Paris

"THE PAPER GIRL OF PARIS by Jordyn Taylor is a new young adult novel that is both a contemporary and..."
Jo & Laurie

"JO & LAURIE takes place after the publication of the original LITTLE WOMEN, which is about half of the current..."
The Jewel Thief

"THE JEWEL THIEF by Jeannie Mobley is a YA Historical Fiction novel, set in Paris, France during the reign of..."
Great Escapes #1: Nazi Prison Camp Escape

"Bill Ash was an American who volunteered for the Canadian Air Force in 1940, and was sent to Europe shortly..."
Spindle and Dagger

"Spindle and Dagger by J. Anderson Coats is a beautiful, yet brutal, literary novel set in Medieval Wales. It is..."
Spindle and Dagger

"Spindle and Dagger by J. Anderson Coats is a unique, dark tale set in Medieval Wales. The author did their..."
They Went Left

"What worked: Beautifully written tale of eighteen-year-old Holocaust survivor Zofia Lederman who searches for her brother after the war. I've..."
The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)

"THE COURT OF MIRACLES is an enagaging and lush YA historical that imagines an alternate France where the revolution has..."
The Paper Girl of Paris

"The Paper Girl of Paris is written by journalist Jordyn Taylor and is set in both historical 1940’s and nowadays..."