Review Detail

Follow the piper's song
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
What I Loved:
The cover is what initially drew me into THE PEDDLER'S ROAD; it's stunning! Somehow, middle grade novels always get the best cover artists! I've never read any retellings of the Pied Piper before, though I'm familiar with the general story, so I was curious to see how this author put his spin on the well-known fable. Readers will recognize a few other familiar stories as well: Baba Yaga plays a part and the Summer Isle resembles Neverland. I really enjoyed how the author wove these different stories together to create something totally new.

I instantly liked the two main characters, Max and her brother, Carter. They have the typical brother-sister relationship; both annoy one another, but they love each other so much they'll do anything to protect each other. I also liked the Hamliners who join Max and Carter on their journey: Lukas, Emilie, and Paul. One of the themes that runs throughout the novel is what makes a hero, and I really liked how all five characters have different qualities that make them heroic, even if they don't know it yet.

The Piper as the villain is properly terrifying, mainly because by the end, you see the reason behind his actions. The best villains are the ones you can sympathize with. I know we haven't seen the last of the Piper, and I'm nervous about what he's going to throw at the group next.

What Left Me Wanting More:
That ending! I can't wait for the next adventure!

The Final Verdict:
THE PEDDLER'S ROAD is a high-stakes adventure story with characters you root for and an ending that will leave readers waiting not-so-patiently for the next installment.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Monster Hypothesis

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Bohring-home to 453 people, 2,053 alligators, and one...
Where the World Ends

0.0 (0)
Winner of the 2018 Carnegie Medal! New from Michael L....
Carnevil (Monsterstreet #3)

0.0 (0)
“Fast, funny, frightening—and filled with shocks and surprises. These books...
Prophecy Untold (Shadow Realms book 3)

0.0 (0)
Finding out my mother was taken by the demons...
Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut about first love and second...
Six Goodbyes We Never Said

0.0 (0)
Two teens meet after tragedy and learn about love,...
Golden Crown

0.0 (0)
No longer only a warrior. Not just a queen....

0.0 (0)
The first vampire. The last Nephilim. The end...
The Galactic Adventures of Hazel - Gurecoa

0.0 (0)
What is it like to live in 4519 AD...
Batman: Nightwalker (The Graphic Novel)

0.0 (0)
This action-packed graphic novel based on the New York...

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Rose Hemmersbach aspires to break out of small town...
Stuffed

0.0 (0)
Welcome, little one. You have been chosen to join us,...
Merged

0.0 (0)
Seven of our country’s most gifted teens will become Nobels,...
Bury Me

4.7 (1)
No one ever leaves Copper Hollow. It's a town with...
Estranged #2: The Changeling King

0.0 (0)
Enter a world of faerie magic and epic adventure in...
The Edge of the Word (Mightier than the Sword, #2)

0.0 (0)
The exciting follow-up to Mightier Than the Sword, the humorous...

Latest Member Reviews

Elixir Bound

"This book hooked me right from the start. Its fast pace and well written plot lines drew me in. Elixir..."
Joshua's Tree (Joshua's Tree Trilogy #1)

"Jos Tyler ends in a terrible world of Zombi like mutants that have only one thing on there mind and..."
Summer on Fire

JenJen
"Thank you to author, Kevin Craig for sending this to me! This isn't usually my type of book but..."
Summer on Fire

"I gave this book a 5 out of 5 stars, and that was before I learned it was a product..."
Summer on Fire

"I don’t read much contemporary fiction, and I was pleasantly surprised by Summer on Fire. This well-crafted novel held my..."
Laurel's Miracle

"What I enjoyed most about this mid-grade fantasy was the author's descriptions of the Cornwall area. Clearly, she's been there..."
The Boogedyman

"This book will definitely be a book you can hardly stop reading! I’m sure of it! Thank you for reading..."
Laurel's Miracle

"Wendy Laharnar’s Review of Laurels Miracle by Nancy M. Bell. A Fantasy to Restore Faith in Reality. Laurel’s..."
The Boogedyman

" I have seven kids. That's right, count'em--one, two, three, four, five, six, seven. Do you know..."
Odessa: Seraphym Wars Series

"My Review: My first thoughts as I dove deep into the book Odessa, The Seraphym Wars Series, was to marvel..."