Review Detail

Kids Fiction 2118
Fun, Freaky, and just plain Scary!
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
There is something so wonderfully satisfying about a good scary book in October. Halloween is just around the corner, creepy Jack-O-Lanterns will soon grace porches, and black cats will be indicative of a witch lurking nearby. What could be a better cherry on a spook-tacular sundae than a collection of tales determined to make you sleep with a nightlight or a flashlight under your pillow?

Jon Scieszka rounded up some of the best authors for this installment of GUYS READ: TERRIFYING TALES. With the literary talents of Kelly Barnhill, Michael Buckley, Adam Gidwitz, Adele Griffin and Lisa Brown, Claire Legrand, Nikki Loftin, Daniel Jose Older, Dav Pilkey, Rita Williams-Garcia, and none other than R.L. Stine, you KNOW there is some great stuff here. And there is.

GUYS READ: TERRIFYING TALES is a collection of short stories, and one graphic novel inspired piece, that guarantees to give even a seasoned pro a scare. I grew up with Fright Night, Wes Craven, Rob Zombie, King, and all the horror classics of the 80s and 90s. There were several times while reading GUYS READ that my tummy flipped as scare-drenaline kicked into high gear. Not to mention the other times I had to remind myself these stories are intended for the middle grade crowd! Seriously!

Scieszka picked the best of the best to fill GUYS READ: TERRIFYING TALES with all the essentials. There is a story for every spooky taste. You dig paranormal? Done. What about eccentric? Yep. How about twisted humor that will leave you questioning if it was intended to be funny or just make you THINK it was just funny when it was actually pretty creepy? Got that too. Or are you a classic horror or a slasher flick kind of guy? Jon’s got you hooked up!

Oh, and when I say “guy,” really I mean all readers. Scieszka set out to tell stories that guys would like to see out there, but even girls can enjoy these reads. I do! But if you want a cute love story with a happily ever after, you’re not going to find that here. These tales are for the serious spook crowd. Each story is a quick read, with lots of great imagination and twists on some old favorite stories. I, personally, would have loved to see the artwork the authors wanted to include, but the ARC I received had a lot of “pending” art. I may have to get the finished product to have a more complete scare. If the concept sketches are any indicator, they will rock!

So, in short, if you dig good scary reads that include all the wicked things that go bump in the night, do yourself a favor and read GUYS READ: TERRIFYING TALES. It’s the perfect addition to any creep library. If you’re a fan, or know of a fan, of the cult classic Tales from the Crypt, then this is the perfect book for you! Just be sure to pack lots of batteries for your flashlight.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...
Slingshot

0.0 (0)
An exciting debut contemporary young adult novel perfect for...
The Keeper of Night

5.0 (1)
Death is her destiny. Half...
The Girls are Never Gone

0.0 (0)
The Conjuring meets Sadie when seventeen-year-old podcaster Dare takes an...

Latest Member Reviews

I Am the Shark

"I AM THE SHARK is a fun and educational picture book about self-confidence. A great white shark is introducing the..."
Take Me Home: Forests of the World

"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact ogagaspellcastertemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2347059387282 for Urgent effective love..."
The Light of Days Young Readers’ Edition: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos

"What worked: This is one gut-wrenching, powerful collection of stories of young Jewish women Resistance fighters in Hitler's Ghettos. While..."
Take Me Home: Forests of the World

"TAKE ME HOME: FORESTS OF THE WORLD is an approachable nonfiction book that teaches about different kinds of forests, from..."
The Light of Days Young Readers’ Edition: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos

"What worked: This is one gut-wrenching, powerful collection of stories of young Jewish women Resistance fighters in Hitler's Ghettos. While..."
Sounds of the Sky

"SOUNDS OF THE SKY is a great nonfiction collection of animal facts, focusing on birds. The book takes the reader..."
The Cat in the Box

"THE CAT IN THE BOX attempts to explain Schrodinger's work regarding quantum paradox. While the original thought experiment explained this,..."
The Ocean in Your Bathtub

"THE OCEAN IN YOUR BATHTUB is an informative picture book about how we interact with the ocean, often without realizing..."
Morning, Sunshine!

"MORNING, SUNSHINE! is an informative journey through nature and poetry. Each spread features a haiku on the left page and..."
Rocket Man: The Mercury Adventure of John Glenn

"Not only was John Glenn the first person to orbit the Earth, a military veteran, and politician, but he was..."
Games of Deception: The True Story of the First U.S. Olympic Basketball Team at the 1936 Olympics in Hitler's Germany

" The Summer Olympics will take place again in July 2020, and all eyes will turn to Tokyo, Japan as..."
Hello, World! Moon Landing

"This charming and informative book introduces the details of the first trip to the moon in 1969. HELLO, WORLD! MOON..."
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World

"Insightful, engaging, and downright fun! LEGO hits on all the learning styles in this brilliantly interactive science primer. ..."
Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World

"“Women and girls have been sharing things up for a long time, resisting those who would box them in.” ..."
Growing Friendships: A Kids' Guide to Making and Keeping Friends

"Utilizing plain language and a kid-friendly presentation, Growing Friendships examines and addresses a wide range of socially detrimental issues such..."
My Weird School Fast Facts: Space, Humans, and Farts

"MY WEIRD SCHOOL FAST FACTS: SPACE, HUMANS, AND FARTS makes learning more interesting and fun. Using the weird-but-true theme is..."
The Ultimate Guide to Gardening (Craft It Yourself)

"Don’t let the name intimidate you—this guide is as extensive as it is accessible. The book features 111 pleasingly..."
A Kid's Guide To America's First Ladies

"How does a First Lady train for a job that has no job description—or even a salary? A job that..."

"An eye-catching activity book that teaches the nuances of font topography—for the young aspiring graphic artist in your home. ..."
Heroes For My Daughter

"3.5 Stars A compelling concept with a lot of heart behind it. The book presents as a sort..."